Mushtaq

Founding Member
Ryanair: passengers' top five gripes

The bag check-in charge is a favourite complaint for some low-cost airline passengers

1) The bag check-in charge is a favourite gripe for some low-cost airline passengers. Ryanair charges £10 to check in one bag, then £20 each for the second and third bags. O'Leary is unapologetic, arguing that 80% of Ryanair passengers flew with checked-in bags two years ago, but that number is now 25%. The airline says it helps save money on baggage handling costs, which then subsidises cheaper fares.

2) The mandatory web check-in fee has raised the hackles of British consumer groups, who are preparing to point it out to the Office of Fair Trading. If your Ryanair booking is not a promotional fare - and only four out of 10 Ryanair tickets are promotional - you have to pay £5 just for the privilege of checking in online.

3) Worried that passengers were flouting its bag check-in fees by hauling sizeable duty free purchases on to flights, Ryanair has confirmed that passengers will be charged £30 if they cannot fit their duty free purchases into their single piece of hand luggage.

4) Earlier this year Ryanair passengers voted for a "fat tax" as the next candidate for an add-on charge. However, O'Leary said today that the airline would not be implementing the charge because it could not work out a cost-effective way of imposing the levy on hefty passengers.

5) It might be an apocryphal tale, but one airline executive who has worked with a senior Ryanair manager claims that the airline explored the possibility of stowing passengers in the hold. Apparently it requires some modification of aircraft to ensure that they don't freeze to death, but it is feasible. However, Ryanair apparently decided that it might draw too much negative publicity, even for an airline that is not shy of headlines.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2009
Ryanair: passengers' top five gripes | Business | guardian.co.uk

In another article Ryanair plans to charge a pound to spend a penny, I find all these add-ons a right pain and confusing.

Martyn

I watched him on the news this morning. He also makes a charge not only for credit cards but for debit cards!! He says it was because of an EU ruling that says people shouldn't be penalised for using a credit card!! So instead of lowering the credit card charge he brought up the debit card to match. Last year we flew twice Luton - Shannon with a disabled passenger and if you are on the same booking you had no option but to use the check facility and therefore all passengers paid the charge.

Saying that the staff were excellent in dealing with the wheelchair and reserving us seats.

parrot

Yes I saw that interview he didn't seem overly concerned about the gripes.I think that if passengers were that annoyed about Ryanair,they won't use them.I used them once £20 return in total to Dublin,what's to gripe about that.

Martyn

Yes I saw that interview he didn't seem overly concerned about the gripes.I think that if passengers were that annoyed about Ryanair,they won't use them.I used them once £20 return in total to Dublin,what's to gripe about that.

Well he wants to be concerned he is losing money whereas Virgins profits jumped. It wouldn't be so bad if you knew the price up front.

Virgin Atlantic profits soar in contrast to struggling British Airways | Business | guardian.co.uk

Different market but a less bullish head.

Mushtaq

Founding Member
I would rather pay a decent fare then paying £10 for a seat and then adding all the taxes and add-ons and fees etc to make bump up the total cost of flight, it's just a headache trying to shop for a flight.

Martyn

Yes I agree. Add all the extras in so the price is maximum then you can deselect. i.e. 1 bag, check in, card charge, insurance etc. The card charge gets me, you have to pay somehow and the only card not carrying a charge is an Electron and if remember right it's a card kids get when they haven't got an overdraft facility or credit rating.

carolk

R.I.P
I wonder what they would do if people booked and then wouldn't pay £10 for a seat lol. Is that possible? :eek:hwell:

Martyn

Just checked. After going through all the booking details address etc and final payment, even though I want to pay with one debit visa card they charge £5 per person per flight so £30 for 3 of you. They will only get charged once for the card by the card company. :censored:

Look at the name change fee £100-£150!! £15 per kilo baggage excess!!

Ryanair - FAQS : Table of Fees (English)

Last edited:

Mushroom

It's so simple really.
Either pay their rates or don't go with Ryanair.
O'Leary knows that they currently have a bit of a captive customer base and he is milking it for all it is worth.
I think the powers that be are trying to get a system where the fare you see is the fare you pay raher than putting all the add ons into the mix as well - see Thomson and Thomas cook for much of the same.
I have never flown with Ryanair so I can't comment on the standard of the service etc, but I can only conclude that if they are moving more and more passenger numbers each year, they must be getting something right !

If you think O'Leary is a tight sod, we know one of the Ryanair pilot's and he had to pay for his own uniform when he started and still takes his own flask and sandwiches because if he wants anything on the plane he pays the same silly rate as the passengers !

parrot

Well he wants to be concerned he is losing money whereas Virgins profits jumped.

Different market but a less bullish head.
Yes but didn't he explain that took into account the £2b paid to Air Lingus as a one of and that profits will pick up again.These are the companies who are forcing other carriers to look at there pricing,at the end of the day bums on seats are what dictates their viability.Everyone has the choice use them or not.

Martyn

Like you say it's a captive market.. We flew twice last year but not this year at all.

Mushroom

I have always just wondered what success we could collectively produce if for say just one week, we in the UK all decided en-bloc to totally ignore a particular brand, whether it was Ryanair, an overpriced supermarket chain or petrol station chain etc due to poor service or rip off prices or just being taken for granted.
Totally hypothetical because there will always be someone who would still use them, but an intriguing thought all the same.
That would be a very expensive wake up call !

Guz1

According to a news report recently, the EU are clamping down on Airlines that don't display their prices properly, Ryanair being one of the airlines mentioned and Turkish Airlines another. I was surprised to hear Turkish Airlines being mentioned because I never have any trouble seeing the total cost of the flight on their website.

Dellol

According to a news report recently, the EU are clamping down on Airlines that don't display their prices properly, Ryanair being one of the airlines mentioned and Turkish Airlines another. I was surprised to hear Turkish Airlines being mentioned because I never have any trouble seeing the total cost of the flight on their website.

The Ryanair part doesn't surprise me at all Maria, but Turkish Airlines. When you check for a booking the price that comes up immediately is the total price incl taxes etc.....we have never had any additions.... shocked at that one....

Having said that, with Ryanair you get what you pay for. We fly with them a lot, unfortunately, not to Turkey, YET!!!!!

Guz1

I couldn't believe my ears when they listed Turkish Airlines but it was repeated in a later news bulletin so they were definitely on the shortlist. I think THY has the best website of any airline and they provide a better service than most.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Ryanair. I saw a TV interview with MO'L and he said something about only doing destinations that can be reached in 4 hours or less.

Mr O'Leary isn't daft - he is in it to make money and not to deliver a quality travelling experience, for that you pay more. However it strikes me that soon with all of his add ons, he too will make his airline the same as all budget airlines and then the playing field will be more even in terms of choice for the cheapest flight.

They reckon more airlines will go out of business this summer and so reducing the choice overall, at the moment he has a captive audience.

I do not use ryan air personally, I think he has no regard for customers needs or comfort and would rather pay a bit extra and feel comfy ;o)

JohnF

The Ryanair part doesn't surprise me at all Maria, but Turkish Airlines. When you check for a booking the price that comes up immediately is the total price incl taxes etc.....we have never had any additions.... shocked at that one....
When was the last time you used THY?

THY prices are displayed net of 1) taxes and 2) the 10TL Ticketing Charge. There is a box to click if you want the 10TL charge shown on the flight selection page.

For example, return between IST & DLM shows as 69TL per leg, final price 192TL. Transparent... not.

JF

Dellol

When was the last time you used THY?

THY prices are displayed net of 1) taxes and 2) the 10TL Ticketing Charge. There is a box to click if you want the 10TL charge shown on the flight selection page.

For example, return between IST & DLM shows as 69TL per leg, final price 192TL. Transparent... not.

JF

Actually, the last time I used them was last Thursday, I have also just viewed them a second ago and it is still the same. Having said that I use the Irish website, which is not in TL as you quote, but EURO, so maybe it is different to the one you use......

Latest Posts

Top Bottom