lewismark

Just a member
Rumours of second airport
Many people may have been told by Estate agents that there wil be another airport here soon only 30 mins away, so your property will go up in value a soon as it opens...... well SORRY but i dont think so!!! not in the near future anyway as they are all saying to get you to buy.

Article taken from sunsearch.info Alanya
Gazipasa Airport
For many years there has been a lively debate about the need for a second airport for the Antalya Region (Kemer, Side, Manavgat and Alanya). At present this area is served by Antalya International Airport (Terminal 1 opened in 1998 and Terminal 2 in 2005). This airport is 135 km from Alanya.

Two sites have been identified – Gazipasa and Manavgat – for a second airport. In fact Gazipasa Airport was 90% completed in 2002 when work on it stopped! Many reasons have been given for this – runways built too short being one of them.

Recently the debate has heated up with reports and more reports being commissioned by the National Government, Local Government, Political parties and Tourist Organisations.

Various newspaper articles on this subject have appeared in local and national newspapers in recent weeks and it would seem that there is no likelihood of Gazipasa Airport being opened for international flights.

An expert was called in from Germany and he concluded that the runway was too short for large aircraft. Take offs and landings would need to be over the sea. A landing plane which overshot the runway would crash into the mountains behind! All in all far too dangerous even if the runway were to be extended. Also a huge capital investment would be required.

All is not lost however as he suggested that Gazipasa Airport could be used as a flight training school! His other suggestion was that before any building took place for another airport, it is essential to know what type of aircraft would be using it and therefore what space is required.

It would appear therefore that the opening of a second airport for this area in the near future is but a dream!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynda

In my dreams I'm dancing
I am constantly telling people not to be taken in by "promisies" of an airport opening in Gazipaşa. It may or may not open. It is in exactly the smae state as when I went to see it 7 years ago... I have the feeling it will be the same in another 7years time... pessimist that I am.

lewismark

Just a member
starman said:
nice copy and paste job, dont suppose you want to credit the original author?

The site that this information came from was full of links and according to the rules of this forum which i have read, i would not be allowed to put the link in as it also holds a forum of its own, easiest way was yes to copy and paste, SO WHAT???

The information was from the sunsearch site and the authour wasn't mentioned unless you know better???
:focus:

Last edited:

JohnF

You don't have to put in a link to credit the original author, simply mention where you got it, the reference you added is sufficient. Irrespective of forum rules, it's simply good manners and encourages others, especially new members, to do the same.

On topic, as it refers to the content of the original post!

JohnF

lorraine

Non Active Member
I have edited the post to show that the info was taken from sunsearch.info Alanya.

I had been reading that site and it does have some good information, that is another reason that I asked for info on Alanya and had the "boss" man open a seperate section for Alanya, now that it is open the members have started to post and giving up the secrets of Alanya!!

Now back to topic.

I have read in many of the papers that the governent would like to open more of the provincial smaller airports for internal flights all over Turkey, but this is Turkey and it will be done when and if... It is a little bit like the Ski lift at Seki near Fethiye that has been lying on the ground rusting away for the last 5 years and now they have built a Ski hall the talks have resumed but again it is all talk, and also very little snow....

So as for airports, dont hold your breath, just be pleasantly surprised if it happens in your lifetime.

we have had posts on this topic before..but theyve been 'lost' i suppose when the new alanya thread was put in.
Gazipaşa Airport is actually there...but like Lynda i cant see it opening ....much as the Gazipaşa Belediye would like it to.(they would need to move the mountain at the end of the runway first )
at present there is major work improving the road in the Demirtaş area and down to Gazipaşa...so could be a bit of forward planning.?

RayS

As said before, it's highly unlikely the Gazipaşa airport will ever open.

More likely is the site identified in Manavgat, although it's a long time off still. The biggest problem with this is that the family who own Antalya Havalimani have a huge amount of power, and won't want to see another airport opened so near to theirs.

But is 1.5 hours really that long for a transfer?!

Andywebb

All that is really needed is for them to finish off the dual carriage way and put some proper lighting in place. Maybe in time like Spain they may build Toll motorways with exits only to the resort areas. I have found no problem with the transfer between Antalya and Alanya. I do'nt know about other parts of Turkey between Airports and resorts but the Antalya one I think just needs more safety features on it, ie lighting since most flights come in during the night.

i heard that turkey the whole country is going to be moved to near iceland and used by the americans as a big aircraft carrier. there are people working on it now putting nuclear propellers on the coastal sites starting with altinkum

Latest Posts

Top Bottom