rubbish posts that attract attention
ive noticed how very inane threads get a lot of attention while many threads that could open up good debates are ignored.
why is this...its human nature to enjoy pointless disharmony and pretentious rubbish. while at the same time grumbling about the wind ups and boring pointless posts.
i am of course referring the the ongoing thread started by Zuberdust concerning the video he posted..its going on and on with people complaining yet still posting...
is it lack of İQ, boredom or the bandwagon thats keeping it rolling.

yet here are just a few threads some by me some by others that were valid, could have created some lively debate and were ignored ..these are just a few quite recent threads...there are many many more like these that have had no attention from members.
Some comments made to Zuberdust were that he had no interest nor knowledge of Turkey..judging by the quality and content of many posts lately that could be said of a few other members too.

!.Political parties in Turkey 1 reply
2.First case of swine fever 0 reply.
3.System of governments 0 reply.
4.syrişan border leased to İsraelies. 1 reply
5.New political party formed 0 reply.
6. Banquet of Ottoman hospitality0 reply
7 refugees 0 reply.
8 crime v. :reason 0 reply
9.Censorship in supermarket 0 reply.
10 funny wedding announcements 0 reply.

Harem

I've cliqued
You are quite right Shirley and I am as guilty as the next person. I will try to do better in future.

PASH

For the most part, i think we all like a good moan and its human nature to be contraversial and argumentative. Have to say the most fun i have had was the subject of same sex marriages as it opened up a storm of debate and had me hooked from start to finish. I will try and do better myself!!

theres nothing wrong with the daft and dizzy being aired alongside more serious stuff..just lets gets some balance...and if somebody does take the trouble tostart a thread dont let it go completely ignored.

Mushtaq

Founding Member
theres nothing wrong with the daft and dizzy being aired alongside more serious stuff..just lets gets some balance...and if somebody does take the trouble tostart a thread dont let it go completely ignored.

And if it's a rubbish thread, don't feed it with more posts, ignore it.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Perhaps it's because we don't want to get embroilled in all the politics ? 7 of the topics are political.

No 2 There haven't been any cases except those that were intercepted at the airports. Nothing much to discuss there then.

No 6 Is about food. What's to discuss ?

No 10 Most of those have been doing the rounds since I was in nappies. Look at the hairstyles in the pictures.

Last edited:

IanJones

Perhaps it s because many of those you listed were political, no doubt there are many like me that do not follow politics and would therefore find it hard to join in. I have noticed that Zuberdust has a nack of "stoking the fire" shall we say, and has done since his arrival. I did not see the video and could not see any link that would enable me to do so, all though a girl falling of a table is a little bit Jeremy Beadle for me. There was a link for the other video of the girl being beaten, that was horrid.
Same sex marriage, well we all have an opinion on that one!
I will try to look at more too, even if it promotes only a limited responce from me.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
And if it's a rubbish thread, don't feed it with more posts, ignore it.

This is where the problem with this lies though - your definition of rubbish may not be my definition of rubbish, or Shirley's, or whoever's (mind you, it probably is!)

I admit sometimes that when I post something I think is interesting and will get a good commentary going, and it hardly gets a response, then I feel a bit demoralised.

This is the only forum I participate in and I enjoy discussing many issues quite apart from my interest in Turkey.

I have learned here that you have to be tolerant and bite your tongue at times - it's not always easy and some lack the control to do it - it won't work all the time though!!

The thing is, everyone's different and I think as long as this is a forum open to everyone, we'll just have to manage as best we can.

C

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Ceemac,

If your posts WERE rubbish, you'd soon get the message mate.

However, much of the information you post is, although very interesting, just information. It's not controversial or indeed controvertible and therefore doesn't NEED debating.

The "Syrian Border leased to Israelis" post mentioneed was from me and when I think about it I could have phrased it differently. If I had posed it in the form of a question rather than a statement it may have got more replies. Especially if I had phrased it in a thought provoking way. I realise now that I just posted the information with little comentary so there wasn't really a spur for debate.

Of course we all like to see something we have posted get read and commented on, or else we wouldn't post. I will try and make the effort to make it easier to reply to the things I post - both serious and trivial.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Ceemac,

If your posts WERE rubbish, you'd soon get the message mate.

However, much of the information you post is, although very interesting, just information. It's not controversial or indeed controvertible and therefore doesn't NEED debating.

You wouldn't be hard to teach how to be cheeky...

C

bobthenob

Non Active Member
There is one thing l have noticed in getting a debate of to a good start.ls for the right member to come along and post something that will fuel the thread.

I must admit to avoiding the subjects of politics and religion (I haven`t really thought about sex for some time - but I might give it a go, if it came up.........).

Taking a pragmatic view appears to be the best stance, particularly when it is obvious that someone is out to agitate and provoke controversy by introducing a sensitive topic outwith the norm.

Most TLF members have the ability and experience to recognise and identify the genuine article from that submitted by the rogue element which is likely to offend. After a while it becomes a kind of `name game` and I find myself skipping the obvious and enjoying the more informative comments and Threads.

That`s how I do it folks.

`Look and Learn` was some good advice I was given by a friend just recently.

Last edited:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
I must admit to avoiding the subjects of politics and religion (I haven`t really thought about sex for some time - but I might give it a go, if it came up.........).

Taking a pragmatic view appears to be the best stance, particularly when it is obvious that someone is out to agitate and provoke controversy by introducing a sensitive topic outwith the norm.

Most TLF members have the ability and experience to recognise and identify the genuine article from that submitted by the rogue element which is likely to offend. After a while it becomes a kind of `name game` and I find myself skipping the obvious and enjoying the more informative comments and Threads.

That`s how I do it folks.

I know what you're saying and it does apply to some threads posted. However, there are threads posted for genuine reasons.

Knowing Martyn for some time here, I doubt very much that he posted the same sex marriage thread to agitate or provoke.

Similarly I posted a video a while ago about a girl being flogged publicly in Pakistan - it was not in any way to offend anyone and I put a warning on the thread about the content. I certainly wanted to provoke a reaction though against the flogging and the Pakistani embassy email address was put on the thread for members to complain.

There are lots of other genuine topics posted as well though.

C

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
OK here goes, i don't post anything informative and i don't get involved with the politics or religion post cos i don't know enough about these things to comment on them.
I have started some silly posts in my time on here but i have learned a lot by being on here, thanks to all you guys that are in the know!!!!
O M G am i getting involved in this debate?????
If only i had found this forum before, well!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeannie

Martyn

They are above my intellect Shirley. I really don't anything about most of them so I generally reply to things I think I know something about. I am in awe of some of the knowledge on here and I'm not being patronising.:smile:

I also don't post to provoke people just to get a discussion going. If we didn't talk about things outside Turkey the forum would probably die. It also gives a lot of people a 'way in' to the debates.

Last edited:
They are above my intellect Shirley. I really don't anything about most of them so I generally reply to things I think I know something about. I am in awe of some of the knowledge on here and I'm not being patronising.:smile:

I also don't post to provoke people just to get a discussion going. If we didn't talk about things outside Turkey the forum would probably die. It also gives a lot of people a 'way in' to the debates.

You shouldnt be so modest Martyn but I know what you mean.

I too look at some of the threads and knowledge of history and politics worldwide of some members and think how little I know about a great deal of this planet!!
Usual family life ,the customary two kids and missus,a few holiday visits and always lived in the South of England!!

Then I read posts by Shirleyann and others to do with life and I think experience must have passed me by Lol.
I agree that the wealth of knowledge of some members is amazing and like you I am not being patronising.

Tess

:lol: I generally try my best to treat others as I would like to be treated, I agree without being patronizing I think there are many very intelligent folks on here. I am by nature very easy going and don't rile easily, however I do not suffer fools gladly and yesterday I admit to getting more than a little rattled, when writing my thoughts I did try to keep it civil. All in all I love being a part of this forum and joining in where I have something to say, I would love to take part in some of the bigger issues discussed but feel at times I have nothing worthwhile to say, but love to read them all the same. When I first joined I observed for a while to get a feel for the forum and will admit at times I felt a bit "Wow" did he just say that - Why don't you say whats on your mind LOL!! and realised the longer you are on here, the more you become part of it. As much as I feel I don't really contribute much to the forum I am ultimately very very happy to be a part of it and it is wonderful how you can see into folks personalities by continuing to use it daily, sometimes it's as if you know the person. :lol::lol:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom