Question for you

albeit

Roof query
Apartment block roof being completely renewed. Changing from felt/shingle roof to tiled roof. Do we need to get permission for a change of roofing material? We have been told that way the roof is constructed is enshrined in the law and we would be changing building permissions. The original roof struts are beginning to bow and the roof needs a major overhaul. Would anybody be able to advise on this? We were also going to set up a management plan, but have been told that if anyone objects the roof repair will be cancelled. Any advice appreciated on how roof repairs links with priority set up of management plan. Also, the rooms are attic rooms in use. Has anyone experienced having a new roof, on top of attic rooms that are in use? What is the impact of a new roof on the ceilings of this living space? Thanks.

Last edited:

enoch

Roof query

Apartment block roof being completely renewed. Changing from felt/shingle roof to tiled roof. Do we need to get permission for a change of roofing material? We have been told that way the roof is constructed is enshrined in the law and we would be changing building permissions. The original roof struts are beginning to bow and the roof needs a major overhaul. Would anybody be able to advise on this? We were also going to set up a management plan, but have been told that if anyone objects the roof repair will be cancelled. Any advice appreciated on how roof repairs links with priority set up of management plan. Thanks.
You need to go to the planning office in the council. They should be able to inform you. I think you need 60% vote for works to be carried out but not sure. But you need to get 3 quotes for the work. Not a friend of a friend.

albeit

Roof query

You need to go to the planning office in the council. They should be able to inform you. I think you need 60% vote for works to be carried out but not sure. But you need to get 3 quotes for the work. Not a friend of a friend.
Thank you for this info.

Ugutzad

Roof query
I recently bought a house, and it has a few flaws. One of them is the roof. It's old, leaks, and could use some work. Since I'm not a handyman, repairing the roof was beyond my abilities, so I hired someone to do it for me.

Hilsjw

Roof query
Here's a question. We live in a block with four apartments plus four duplexes above. Our building is only 16/17 years old and the builders are asking for us all to pay for re-newel of our rooves. In one block a tenant (Turkish) made a hole in the roof of his duplex in order to install a wood burner !! I don't think these builds were intended to have fires installed !! So that end of the roof needs replacing. They now want to replace ALL the roofing on all the buildings on the complex. They want us to pay, although none of us have a tapu. Lastly, how much would you consider a reasonable price to pay for a new roof to cover 4 dwellings ? A difficult question, I know without the dimensions. A guess would be good. Thanks.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Roof query
Here's a question. We live in a block with four apartments plus four duplexes above. Our building is only 16/17 years old and the builders are asking for us all to pay for re-newel of our rooves. In one block a tenant (Turkish) made a hole in the roof of his duplex in order to install a wood burner !! I don't think these builds were intended to have fires installed !! So that end of the roof needs replacing. They now want to replace ALL the roofing on all the buildings on the complex. They want us to pay, although none of us have a tapu. Lastly, how much would you consider a reasonable price to pay for a new roof to cover 4 dwellings ? A difficult question, I know without the dimensions. A guess would be good. Thanks.
I feel that someone is looking for work here. Our house was roofed in 2002, it is still in excellent condition, some of our properties in the UK still have the original roofs despite being built in the 70s/80s. I would also make it clear that I would not pay anything until my tapu was issued.

enoch

Roof query
So I take it the builders just think I say you jump, the work has still got to passed by the owners. How many foreigners own apartments with no tapu I think you all need to get together, like Abi says if it's the best of 3 prices and our tapus we will look at it
But the turk with the flew pipe I would have thought it's his problem. But the roof is paid for by all. So you have to agree with the price if there is enough of you.

morganaterms

Roof query
I recently bought a house, and it has a few flaws. One of them is the roof. It's old, leaks, and could use some work. Since I'm not a handyman, repairing the roof was beyond my abilities, so I hired someone to do it for me.

Hilsjw

Roof query
Thank you for all your good advise (they were asking £20,500.approx. for each block of 8 dwellings, ground floor apartments with duplexes above) We thought this was rather high and, as you say, NO tapu NO payment.

Kanga

Roof query
Thank you for all your good advise (they were asking £20,500.approx. for each block of 8 dwellings, ground floor apartments with duplexes above) We thought this was rather high and, as you say, NO tapu NO payment.
Ridiculous. They think you're a walking wallet.
Stick to your guns and what's more if it's one idiot who has damaged the roof some heavy pressure on him too via a lawyer's letter may help. If he doesn't have a tapu but has made a change to the property he's in a sticky position.

Hilsjw

Roof query
Thank you Kanga. The Turkish tenants have long gone and nothing was done when smoke was rising from their roof, although it could be seen by everyone As it happens, one of the builders has taken over that duplex and it is he who wants the roof re-done as it is directly above his dwelling. He has spent LOADSA dough making it rather splendid even though we are still all awaiting our tapus. It will be 17 years next January !

enoch

Roof query
Thank you Kanga. The Turkish tenants have long gone and nothing was done when smoke was rising from their roof, although it could be seen by everyone As it happens, one of the builders has taken over that duplex and it is he who wants the roof re-done as it is directly above his dwelling. He has spent LOADSA dough making it rather splendid even though we are still all awaiting our tapus. It will be 17 years next January !
I would tell him to whistle dixie he must be short of money, scumbag

Kanga

Roof query
So are you saying that the apartment block builder is living there but wont give you and other owners your tapus? He must have a tapu for the property. Can you find out at the tapu office? If that's the case, can enough of you get together and get a lawyer to write and tell him he's the one who pays because he's the owner? That might 'encourage' him to give out the tapus. I suspect he may have offered his block tapu as security to a bank, but a lawyer should be able to get an answer from him about it.

Hilsjw

Roof query
Kanga, the land owner has not been paid in full for his land !! That is the problem. We have a committee and a lawyer trying to solve this. There have been numerous court cases but it's always stalemate as one or other of parties fails to turn up or documents don't arrive in time !! As for both builders living in duplexes and spending lots of money on them, they tell people who have to sell for various reasons that they can only sell to them, and they do, at silly low prices. I do wonder if and when the tapus do eventually arrive, they will have quite a few properties that they can sell at large profits. Meanwhile, the properties are fully furnished with all the white good etc and they are then renting them out ! Quite a good plan eh ?!

Kanga

Roof query
Why doesn't the landowner chase his outstanding debt? Or is he, and not getting a result?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom