road rage and guns
this is part of a report in Bianet. İ'm sure we have all seen how even a small incident in traffic in Turkey (or anywhere) can rapidly become a major fight.

Call for a Ban of Weapons in Cars

One out of ten murders is committed in traffic, as the Turkish Umut (Hope) Foundation announced today. The Foundation asks for a complete ban of firearms rather than just of blank guns.

The Turkish Umut (Hope) Foundation, taking action against arming of civilians, claims: "Carrying weapons in the car has to be forbidden, just as drink driving is forbidden."

Berk Topuz, son of former Justice and Development Party (AKP) MP Gülseren Topuz, was injured by a car driver using his own weapon in a traffic quarrel on 17 August. Topuz is still receiving medical treatment today (19 August).

The Umut Foundation critisized: "Why is a young assistant doctor, whose duty it is to save lives, carrying a weapon and a fire arm certificate?! If this young doctor had not carried a weapon, he would not have got involved in that quarrel; even if he had got involved in it, it would not have resulted in an injury."

MP Gülseren Topuz herself signed a bill to change an article in the Law on Firearms, Knives and Other Devices and for an amendment regarding blank guns.
One of ten murders in traffic

These are the keynotes of the foundations:

* There are approximately 8 million cars on Turkish roads every day and at least 6 percent of the drivers are carrying weapons. About 80 percent of these firearms are loaded and ready for shooting. That means those weapons are not locked up in a proper case in the car's trunk, nor are they dissembled. Those weapons are in places easy to reach, such as the glove compartment.

* According to Umut Foundation board member psychiatrist Dr. Ayhan Akcan, there are 480,000 cars carrying firearms on Turkish roads every day. In Istanbul the amount of cars with weapons could be up to 10 percent.

* 20 percent of all murders committed in Turkey are happening in the streets. Every tenth murder involving firearms is committed in traffic.

According to Akcan, 40 percent of the drivers who cause accidents can be profiled as "furious drivers". If a furious driver carries a firearm in his car, the probability that he will use it is very high.

The foundation suggests fining drivers if a firearm is found in the car. Emphasizing that it is currently criminal to carry a blank gun in traffic, they call for the same regulations for real firearms in cars and want this clause to be included in the Weapons Law Draft. (bia/VK/AG)

Harem

I've cliqued
road rage and guns
Very interesting, Shirley. I'll watch who I upset on the road in future!!!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
road rage and guns
Between the near lawless ,careless, dangerous drivers on the roads plus my temper in regards drivers putting my family at risk it's amazing I am still alive.

Biker Bob

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
road rage and guns
:hmm: I'm always very suspicious of statistics, especially when they're published as nice neat round figures.

Isn't it amazing that it's already illegal to carry a gun loaded with blanks but not illegal yet to carry one loaded with live ammunition. :dooh:

road rage and guns
:hmm: I'm always very suspicious of statistics, especially when they're published as nice neat round figures.

Isn't it amazing that it's already illegal to carry a gun loaded with blanks but not illegal yet to carry one loaded with live ammunition. :dooh:

yes..i dont get that at all, i wonder if it the translation..because its unbelievable.

road rage and guns
this is the reason [ if you have driven in the states] i find the courtsey and stnd of driving in the states high. you never know who you may upset .
hah..im slowing down ..i had to read that twice to get the meaning. :nod:

Top Bottom