IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Road carnage
Yes, it is tragic, and this is with a staggered start to the holiday. people have the return journey too. I hope that the very crowded conditions will limit high speed driving on the way back.

ted j

Road carnage
There was a guy in a 4x4 who had gone too far across some traffic lights on our main boulevard , the traffic building up behind him were all honking away like mad for him to go as the lights were on green , but he was just sat behind the wheel oblivious to everything

I decided to swerve up a side entrance and get in front of him (handy being on a bike), I got in front of him and made sure he hadn't had a heart attack or anything like that , he was just staring blankly into space , he was slap bang in the middle of both lanes (dual carriageway), I motioned him to go forward which eventually he did (at the second green light change).he just carried on as if nothing had happened

We were coming out of Migros which is alkward to say the least, because you are only about 20 feet away from traffic lights and everybody blocks the entrance rather than leaving a space for people to get in-out
Eventually one guy left a small space for me to get through but as I started to go through, some idiot in a huge car decided he would go on the wrong side of the road and squeeze through the gap, blocking everybody as the traffic coming through the lights was now gridlocked ..........(the gap was about 4 feet)
Eventually the guy who had left the gap , went up the ramp onto Migros car park to sort the mess out (I know from how he was on the road he didn't want to go into Migros, but saw a way of clearing the mess)
I hate the holidays because you get all the out of towners who simply can't drive , we had 4 bad accidents in a week last time

evo80

Road carnage
Bikes are great in traffic.Mine is so loud ,as I approach I often notice cars move out the way.But that is on UK roads ,I think you need nerves of steel to ride a bike on Turkish roads lol.

ted j

Road carnage
Actually it's not too bad , so long as you watch out for
People opening doors without looking to see if anything is coming
People coming towards you the wrong way and not budging as they get nearer
People shooting through red lights (because they were here before the lights went up)
People undertaking/overtaking you with about 4 inches to spare (pizza delivery boys are the worst)
Dolmus drivers who simply HAVE to get in front of you only to pull up sharp to pick people up as soon as they have overtaken you
Drivers regularly cutting right in front of you to turn right at entrances and about a couple of dozen other things
Apart from all that, it's a doddle :speaknoev

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Road carnage
In 2016, 103 people died in road traffic collisions in the (extended) Kurban Bayrami in Turkey, more than 7000 were injured.

evo80

Road carnage
Actually it's not too bad , so long as you watch out for
People opening doors without looking to see if anything is coming
People coming towards you the wrong way and not budging as they get nearer
People shooting through red lights (because they were here before the lights went up)
People undertaking/overtaking you with about 4 inches to spare (pizza delivery boys are the worst)
Dolmus drivers who simply HAVE to get in front of you only to pull up sharp to pick people up as soon as they have overtaken you
Drivers regularly cutting right in front of you to turn right at entrances and about a couple of dozen other things
Apart from all that, it's a doddle :speaknoev

Been riding since 58 BUT never take anything for granted .Complacency is a bad thing .As you say ,you have to be extra careful .

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”
Road carnage
2liislw.jpg

Turkey has always had a problem with a trafik canavarı , due to the lack of proper road education.

Unfortunately, there has now become, an accepted fatalistic inevitability of tragic accidents happening during these holiday times, rather than real prevention by taking care . Especially when there is 7mil vehicles taking to the road, during this period, and knowing it only needs some foolish few ,or a lapse of concentration to cause the sadness that is seen in these tragic accidents. Unfortunately, it has now wrongly become expected at these holidays times.

Spurs

Spurs
Road carnage
A to B ASAP.
Our first couple of times driving to & from Turkey were like that (do Europol chase up speeding tickets?). We saw that many accidents across Europe, Italy being by far the worst. The Penny, Euro, Lira finally dropped............what's the rush?

ted j

Road carnage
I have seen somebody take off at lightening speed from traffic lights only to pull in and turn into a parking spot

ahmed226

Road carnage
wow all those road deaths. suspect alcohol also played a part. I was brave enough to drive in Turkish Cyprus. much quieter roads.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Road carnage
I really don't think alcohol plays a big part, much more sinister is the male ego and the reluctance to see consequences to actions. The mentality of 'fate', overtaking on blind corrners/crest of hill is much too common. I am retired but had to travel on Monday of this week for about 150km on major roads and the recklessness was all too prevalent. I was overtaken at silly speeds and in very dangerous situations. It is best to avoid traveling at Bayram if at all possible.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom