dawningram

dawn ingram
ripped off by the fish monger in Didim
bought a nice sea bass last week up in the fish monger just behind the main rd that the mosque is on...charged us 12 Lira, which I thought at the time was a bit steep, but as sea bass are very expensive at home I didn't question it. Bought another one yesterday in Carrefour, which is far from cheap compared to Tansas, - paid 6 Lira for the same sized fish. Why do they do it? It's so short sighted of them , because now I'll never use his shop again. With a family of upto 10 here every summer he has lost a fair amount of trade just from one person, because we eat fish at least twice a week with red meat being so expensive. They are thick when it comes to running a business.

SLEEPY

May be because one was from a fish farm and the other wild sea bass and therefore more expensive.This is also very common in fish restaurants where they will try and push the more expensive wild sea bass you should always ask for farm fish, as it impossible to tell the difference by taste.
Alternatively you were had and there is no plaice for that!

teosgirl

I agree with Sleepy, the price varies depending on whether the fish is farmed or sea caught. Farmed fish are always cheaper, but again as Sleepy said, unless you know the fishmonger you can't always trust what he/she is selling in the fish market. Supermarket fish is more trustworthy but I suggest you get to know your local fishermen, I'm sure they'll be happy to provide you with plenty of fresh fish.

Charlotte

jakebeak

We live very close to the harbour at Taşburun. I stopped buying fish there because it was so expensive. Four fish - two Cipura and two Levrek - 40TL! I thought that fish would have been cheaper bought fresh from the harbour shops, but no. I have learnt that it depends on weight and whether it's farmed or not. Best bet is to get them from KIPA, where they are usually on offer and you can buy four Cipura (Snapper) for around 24 TL. Levrek (Sea bass) are a similar price. Happy fishing!

dawningram

dawn ingram
he showed me the two types...farmed or fresh... i went for farmed because of the difference in price, so it wasn't that...and i know the supermarkets are cheaper, but twice the price? that's not overheads, that's greedy.As i said, more fool him, because I'll never go back.

Reactions: A89
K

Kebab

You have been bitten by the Sharks ! Why did you pay anyway?

A89

This kind of thing happens all the time in Turkey in tourist areas. Its happened to me several times in the 12 years since I started coming here. The worst was when a friend came to stay with me, we went to a fruit shop and bought a few apples, bananas and pears. I went outside to take a phone call and my friend paid. As we got near home my friend remarked that she'd expected it to be cheaper here as I'd told her it was, I couldnt believe how much they'd charged her. I'd used that shop because another friend (norwegian) had told me they were friends of hers. I called and told her what we'd bought and she went in and picked the same things exactly and was asked for well less than half the money, she was really angry with them and told them about us. The woman didnt care at all and said we were yabancis so obviously could afford it.
Its also happened to me in tailors and key makers. I was once shopping in the fruit market with LyndaW and a man there tried to charge her the price of a kilo for only half a kilo. We both noticed straight away and said so, at first thinking he'd made a mistake but he hadnt and he argued with us and with the guy on the next stall and refused to give it to her. We walked away looking for Zabita but couldnt see any, then the guy from the next stall came after us and gave us the money back.
You are quite right, they have no business sense at all to do this.

oldfogy

Just passing through
When I first started going to Turkey back in the days when Lira had so many 000s on the end of it it was almost a joke, (50000 TL = £5.00) as you can see, if you took of the last 2 noughts it equalled the amount in sterling (as near as no matter)

But I always had my own piece of paper with a various exchange rate calculations on it and it was surprising how many times it saved me from being ripped off in some shops.

And yet not one street corner money changer once ever tried to short change me.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Sea Bass, or Levrek is well caught in Turkey, sorry, you were well over charged, and quite right not to go back there.

altinkum kev

Non Active Member
There are at least 6 fish mongers at that site , go to all and get the best price first,i stopped using them and now use the shop by the new market where it is all priced.

mintyk

I used to go to these smaller units up behind the mosque and found them to over charge when they could. Nothing ever had a price on. I stopped using them. I tended to go the market Saturdays or the market again behind the mosque on a Wednesday if it is still there. Fish I have usually got from the supermarkets unless the other half caught some.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom