kemerkid

Bystander
Rip offs in Turkey.
I do get so depressed when most of what I read in here is people complaining about getting ripped off left right and centre. It makes me feel as though I haven't travelled to most of the places that I have visited at all. Of course I have been asked some silly prices in some of the markets but bought at the right price or gone without.

Since The begining of the year I have watched the garden become more overgrown and steadily getting worse with all the rain. On Friday I decide that the dry spell we have had would allow me to get the trusty lawn mower out and make a start.
I wore myself out pulling the starter cord and finally broke the cord handle. In the afternoon I loaded it up and took it down to the village to the workshop where they repair chainsaws and the like. The Usta quoted me 15 - 20 TL to service it. but phoned later to say it needed parts. 'How much' 'not a lot' he said.

He phoned again this morning to say it was ready. First pull and it was running like a Swiss watch. 'How much' Sharp intake of breath '60TL'. what I would like to know is what I have to do to join the growing band of unfortunates getting ripped off here.

val2661

Rip offs in Turkey.
Pete I always found the local service guys were second to none when I lived in Turkey. Washing machine repair 20TL including callout, same with fridge repairs. Local upholstery company recovered my dining room chairs for the cost of a new chair in the UK. I don't think it's the genuine tradesmen who do the rip offs, but the supposedly educated 'middle classes' who try to get rich without putting in the hard work. The 'builder' who ripped me off, had a lifestyle that it would be hard to maintain with a really successful business, kid in private school, wife who could spend like Viv Nicholson, employing about 20 family members, all on the back of a small Estate Agency. Hence stealing from anyone who he attempted to do business with. Glad you got the mower working.

Val

LauraB

Rip offs in Turkey.
I'm so pleased that you started this thread KK as I too felt I was living on a different planet from so many folk. We too have been asked for silly amounts for some things but walking away always works...either they chase after us or obviously don't want to take what we offer which is fine and fair.
It is a shame that people say all Turks must be tarred with the same brush as I firmly believe that you have to be a party to being ripped off.

stuart

stuart
Rip offs in Turkey.
60 tl sounds a bit steep for a bit of string, spray of oil and a cleaned spark plug.!

Spurs

Spurs
Rip offs in Turkey.
I'm so pleased that you started this thread KK as I too felt I was living on a different planet from so many folk. We too have been asked for silly amounts for some things but walking away always works...either they chase after us or obviously don't want to take what we offer which is fine and fair.
It is a shame that people say all Turks must be tarred with the same brush as I firmly believe that you have to be a party to being ripped off.

Bit of a difference with a market stall or local shop bouncing you for a few TL, easy to walkaway...................When its an agent doing you for £60,000 where do you walk to then? I for one do not look at all Turks in the same light but I can see why some people do.

kemerkid

Bystander
Rip offs in Turkey.
Stuart, read my first post again. IT NEEDED PARTS. I didn't list the parts as it wasn't necessary information for most people. The engine was stripped down completely, new gaskets were fitted. a new float was fitted in the carb and all the loose and falling off bits were corrected. Weren't you the same guy that caused a good Turkish solicitor that used to give free advice on here to leave because you questioned his integrity. Nice going Stuart, a forum asset.

Last edited:

LauraB

Rip offs in Turkey.
Well the agent can't 'do you' for any amount of money if no money is handed over before the goods are on the table.......the analogy is for market stalls or property.

kemerkid

Bystander
Rip offs in Turkey.
You're a good man Spurs and I admire you for all the effort you have put in to help people but if you can't see the analogy you've been wasting you time.

pldouglas

Rip offs in Turkey.
And to put it into context, our ride-on went for a standard service last year and it cost over £200! Anxiously I scanned the detailed receipt, convinced it must have been re-built at least, and the total parts required ammounted to about £25 - the rest was labour and VAT - no it doesn't work like a dream and still requires a lot of bad language thrown at it in order to actually start.
We used to get the usual rip-offs in Turkey, small things like the price for a cup of coffee, on one occasion paying about £500 for a bed we later saw in Kippa for about £100, that sort of thing, but fortunatly no major rip-offs - though I do think we were lucky rather than wise.

Reactions: uv1

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Rip offs in Turkey.
This just indicates to me what I have always known. Most people know the price of everything but don't know the value of anything.

Quite right Pete, and you cannot put a value on things like you have found, someone who you will go back to again too. There are always those that will smirk at what you feel to have been to you a good service, that imho is priceless.

kemerkid

Bystander
Rip offs in Turkey.
Why thank you lovely lady, I knew I could count on your support. I will wear it always.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom