saffie

Saffie
Rip off alert
Thought I ought to mention something,in case anyone else books a flight through Thomas Crook...........

Normally I don't use the in flight meal option but on this occassion I thought that I would as my flight times were a bit strange,and also didn't want to pay the extortionate prices at Dalaman. Anyhow, I booked my flight from Dalaman to Luton through Thomas Crook and paid the extra for the meals.

Then when the booking was confirmed it turned out to be a Monarch flight. No complaints against Monarch....the flight staff were polite and helpful and both flights were on time.

However,when it came to dishing out the meals the lady next to me told the staff she hadn't paid for a meal so wasn't entitled to one. The stewardess sweetly told her that ALL passengers on any Monarch flight get served with a meal. Querying this with several other passengers,it turns out that most hadn't paid any extra and all got a meal.

So why on earth Thomas Crook think it's ok to charge around £18 extra when the meal is included anyway,defeats me.

Return flight was the same..........meal served and EVERYONE who wanted a meal,got one whether they had paid an extra fee or not.

I do know on TC flights they do not serve a meal if you haven't paid for and ordered one..............but it's daylight robbery to charge as an extra when it's part of the Monarch service.

Flying with Monarch was, I have to say,a lot nicer than flying with TC.

saffie

Peregrine

Rip off alert
have you thought of this :

TC use Monarch to carry their passengers

TC charge one price for a flight and extra for the meal (lets say for arguments sake its £100 plus £18 for the meal)

Monarch charge one price, including a meal (lets say for arguments sake its £125)

so where exactly is the rip off?

I think you have been too hasty in criticising and maligning Thomas Cook. I hope they dont take offense, especially at the way you have miss-spelt their name

I suggest you do a bit more research on this issue then come back and explain the real situation

Last edited:

kaplumba

Rip off alert
I have used Thomas Cook for 4 return flights this year and all were good. All were on time and most arrived at the destination early. The staff were polite and friendly and the food OK. On the flight I came out on a couple of weeks ago we were asked very nicely if we would mind moving seats. Mind? Oh no we didn't mind as they moved us into the extra leg room seats and we had 3 between 2 of us. As for prices one of my return flights earlier this year was 80 pounds including luggage and food and another 125 pounds. This most recent one was just under 300 return. In July they were 220 pounds return. Also all of these flights were from my most convenient local airport. I certainly have no complaints.

saffie

Saffie
Rip off alert
Ok....well of course,you could be right. But I asked four people about what they paid for their tickets and all were the same. Mine worked out more because of the meal.

Maybe I have been a bit hasty,but seemed a bit odd to me.

saffie

kaplumba

Rip off alert
In that situation Saffie I probably would have felt a bit cross too. You have to bear in mind many people on a flight will have paid different prices depending on when they booked them. My husband and son flew out on the same flight the other day and both had booked separately. My husband paid under 300 pounds and my son just over.
You could send a letter to Thomas Cook with your complaint, send it recorded delivery.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Rip off alert
in future check out the tc prices and monarchs, for the best overall deal

martin

civciv

Rip off alert
I have been on delayed flights over the past few years when replacement aircraft have been drafted in and had a free meal because thats how the airline operate, despite not paying for the optional dinner e.g. with Airtours when a northern european charter was brought in. So maybe Monarch replaced a broken/re-scheduled Thomas Cook ('Crook' is being used by dissatisfied customers on several websites this summer!)???

pembelu

Rip off alert
for me they are the cheapest (TC) and the only flights in previous winters other than Onur air now agean right? im keeping my gob shut as frankly i need TC and they are always the cheapest. i travel alone as hubby hasnt a visa to come back to UK with me....(i live in turkey and only go back to uk once a year)....im always looking so lonely n scared (hate flying hence the once a yr) so i often get given a free meal by one of the flight attendants......so i cant complain....i am probably crying at the time and fixated on the flight safety advice sheet though....so at least them giving me a meal keeps me busy fiddling with packages and salt sachets......i have sometimes seen all those on board get free food -booked or otherwise but only on night flights? could it be that they have them leftover? in that case id hate them to be dumped in a bin n wasted.

Rip off alert
We've flown with TC many times and I have found this year they are more expensive . The good thing is that its easy to book one ways and oddd durations with them but the planes have little leg room. When we went out for our son to hold his wedding the put his then 51/2 year old son on his own away from the rest of the family. This was later changed as we wouldn't sit down until they changed some seats around.
Most delays are not down to the airline but the airports and planes losing their time slot so I think its unfair to blame the planes.
We did get exgtra 20kg for the wedding clothes etc and in fact most airlines will give this free if you ask , we didn't need to prove it either, that case did have all the wedding stuff in anyway.
We only use TC if the price and times are right, but will look into Monarch also, thanks for the tip

Latest Posts

Top Bottom