a green

retiring to Turkey
hoping to retire to Turkey within the next 18 months. We are not rich people but we have a bit put by and hoping that the monthly interest will see us through.
I know this is a difficult question to ask but asking advice of those who live in Turkey. Approx how much would you say would be needed to live per month.

I have been told that 1500 - 2000 lira is good what are your thoughts.
Any thoughts are welcome.:10:

nanamo

retiring to Turkey
Welcome to the forum. We too are thinking of doing the same so we are interested in your question. Where are you thinking of putting down roots or do you already have a home in Turkey. I think our standard of living will change, no more browsing the shops for something to do, no more trips to the cinema and expensive take away meals and changing the car for a newer model - instead fresh food and entertaining (and lots of dogs, I've been promised I can have a dog or two in Turkey) so I should think one would counteract the other. Looking forward to reading your replies. Molly x

Last edited:

Saoirse

retiring to Turkey
this has been covered ad nauseum

check thread "How far does £500 per month go in Turkey"

Lindacm

retiring to Turkey
hoping to retire to Turkey within the next 18 months. We are not rich people but we have a bit put by and hoping that the monthly interest will see us through.
I know this is a difficult question to ask but asking advice of those who live in Turkey. Approx how much would you say would be needed to live per month.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is a thread that pretty much covers what you are asking...of course a lot depends on the individual. I think it was, "can you live on £500".
Why not check that out first and come back with anything further you might require.

Linda

stevecarol

retiring to Turkey
I agree
Such a reply is just rude and not what i would have expected, i would have thought a curtious reply was in order.

stevecarol

retiring to Turkey
Well you comment (ad nauseum) means that everyone is bored of this subject.
Well you may be but the asker of the question is not, so that comment in your answer is rude and was not really required was it.

Saoirse

retiring to Turkey
I would politely suggest you are reading something into my reply which isnt there.

If I was rude and unhelpful I wouldnt have posted where to find the info!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
retiring to Turkey

It very much depends on whether you're going to be renting or already have your own property, whether you expect to have a vehicle, your lifestyle etc etc

Broadly, you should be comfortable on 2,000 TL a month. I know people who struggle to survive on that amount and others who live quite happily on a lot less.

niyaz

retiring to Turkey

1500 to 2000 lira is very good, i know a turkish family who live on 1000 lira.

butt007

Warren
retiring to Turkey
Hello Agreen let me first welcome you to the forum, and yes your question has been well covered on a thread called I think "how far will £500 a month go"
Yes 2000liras/mth would be OK, I assume you are talking about pension income.
As regards bank interest, well that is very low now compared to 6mths ago when it was 18% before tax, now it is only 11.5% before tax, so you would need something like 220,000lira to generate 2000lira interest after tax, that figure was straight off the top of my head by the way.
Warren

miela

retiring to Turkey
Hi agreen, and welcome to the forum. I do think Philip is trying to be helpful but as a new member you would not have known the other thread existed. It is full of valuable information, but it has been running since 2007 and things have definately increased since then. I would love to explore this with you as it is something I might consider in the future myself and it is good to have up to date information. I personally would find it a little scary to cut the ties here and find that I had grossly underestimated the cost of living in Turkey. I have been told the Bodrum Peninsula is the most expensive area to live. Im not sure if that is just for non Turks or whether it is generally more expensive for everyone. I suppose a lot of people have to survive here on £500 per month or even less with a lot higher living costs like Council tax, heating etc, especially pensioners, but please make sure you can survive on your income before you take the plunge.

a green

retiring to Turkey
to all that have replied to this, Thank You, for those that got a little stressed?
As a new member I wasnt aware of the thread currently running. So for those of you who were understanding thanks. I will check out the other thread I am sure it will have lots of info for me. Perhaps for the benifit of those who are new and not too computer savvy saoirse could be a little more understanding. After all if he didnt wish to read the thread he didnt have too?

a green

retiring to Turkey
certainly, my name is allan i am 57 and i am married to angie.
we have a villa in Devutlar and we are looking to retire there in the next 18 months, funds permiting. So I am just trying to get a feel of what the average monthly cost of living is in Turkey. I am aware people have different standards, but ours is as the brits would say middle class. In other words we live in a 3 bed semi and work 5 days a week. So we are not the king and queen just trying to see if early retirement is possible. Pensions will not be due until 2017 so looking to live of the bank interest?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom