SamSteve21

Retiring to Fethiye
Good Afternoon. Hope you’re all well. We’re looking at retiring out there in the next few years. And was hoping someone would be able to help with a few questions. With regards to living cost, utility bills, house purchasing cost. Any help would be great. TIA

alva5763

Bodrum buddy
Retiring to Fethiye
I think before anyone can help you will have to give an idea of the lifestyle you want and what type of property eg apartment or villa and size. Are you planning on Fethiye or one of the towns close by eg Calis, Ovack or Uzumlu ?

SamSteve21

Retiring to Fethiye
I think before anyone can help you will have to give an idea of the lifestyle you want and what type of property eg apartment or villa and size. Are you planning on Fethiye or one of the towns close by eg Calis, Ovack or Uzumlu ?
Hi. We are looking to buy a 2-3 bedroom villa with pool. We’re not extravagant and lead a moderate lifestyle. We’re not party animals. Coming to retire. Fethiye and Uzumlu would be our choice of area. If cost allows us.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Retiring to Fethiye
Be careful to ask the right questions about Uzumlu before you buy; not often mentioned in Agents brochures, the valley is surrounded by mining activity - as many as 7, depending how you count them; a mining project that locals thought was quashed years ago has recently raised its head again ( money and politics rule! ) - this will have a big impact on the northern part of that valley. My Turkish neighbour was a lead engineer in the chromium (I think that was it) mine and he would not have lived there.

Ian

j in bo

Retiring to Fethiye
We found life to be so enjoyable and rewarding, like yourselves, we are not party animals anymore! Enjoy a beer, now and again. When you took alcohol away from your shopping or meal out, spending became very cheep. We enjoyed the weather, culture and people. We feel privileged for the couple of years living near Bodrum and will return fulltime one day. Good luck, like us realise your dream.

Retiring to Fethiye
Electric bills vary massively, depending on whether you run a pool. A friend said their highest electric bill was around 700tl for a month, keeping the entire house warm in Winter 24/7, but our largest bill up to now has been less than 300tl, using an inverter air-con unit and we haven't been cold, but just to add to that, it's pretty warm where we are down in Calis, compared to other areas further in land or up a mountain (obviously). Our water bill at the moment is around 50tl per month, and house tax (if that's what it's called) is around 230tl twice a year each. Enjoy your research. xx

SamSteve21

Retiring to Fethiye
Electric bills vary massively, depending on whether you run a pool. A friend said their highest electric bill was around 700tl for a month, keeping the entire house warm in Winter 24/7, but our largest bill up to now has been less than 300tl, using an inverter air-con unit and we haven't been cold, but just to add to that, it's pretty warm where we are down in Calis, compared to other areas further in land or up a mountain (obviously). Our water bill at the moment is around 50tl per month, and house tax (if that's what it's called) is around 230tl twice a year each. Enjoy your research. xx
Thankyou. Have to say the research so far so good and very promising. And I know you shouldn’t wish your life away. But the sooner we can escape here the better.

SamSteve21

Retiring to Fethiye
We were lucky enough to escape 10 years ago; it started with a tentative question here on TLF back in March 2010, and by December 2010, we had moved over. (Let's just say I'm a tad impulsive, and Anthony is a willing victim). xx
We were lucky enough to escape 10 years ago; it started with a tentative question here on TLF back in March 2010, and by December 2010, we had moved over. (Let's just say I'm a tad impulsive, and Anthony is a willing victim). xx
Amazing. We’ve got a minimum of 3 years to wait. And I know a lot can change in that time. But we want to be ready. Any info you think would help us would be great.

Retiring to Fethiye
After taking advice from the members here, we kept hold of our UK home and rented it out, we'd planned to sell to buy in Turkey, instead we rented in Turkey, at that point we had a very limited budget, but so glad we rented because we realised the area we originally chose in Turkey was too quiet in Winter. Also, don't be tempted by high interest rates here, the TL is volatile, when we opened our bank account we got 2.38 TL to the £, when it went up to 2.60TL we thought that was amazing, and it'll never get better than that and changed what sterling we had. Have you found Doc Martins Facebook page? He has everything you need to know in his files. xx

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Retiring to Fethiye
Sue is correct, it makes good sense to keep your UK home for a while and use the money to rent over here. It depends on areas of course, but in our area you can get a decent place for the equivalent to the rent that we receive on one 3 bed house in the north of England. It would be almost 5000TL per month. have a look at this iste. filter for the area that you are interested in

Last edited:

gumball

gumball
Retiring to Fethiye
Hi, I'd like to chip in with a few more questions. My wife and I are also intent on retiring to Turkey, somewhere in or around Fethiye. We used to own a property in Didim but sold it four years ago. What we have noticed lately is the number of really nice properties being built in and around Didim at very good prices , and prices in Fethiye area have got quite expensive. My questions though are would you just turn up in Turkey , having bought, with clothes only or would you transport all furniture from the UK, what we own is all high end stuff . Container or removal lorry , DIY, with a luton van ?? Will customs have an interest and impose import charges? We are definitely buying and not renting. All relevant info will be gladly accepted.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Retiring to Fethiye
Really it depends on how much stuff you have. Customs are really only interested in electronic and technological items, also, of coures, items that are banned in Turkey. Personally I would not bring second hand white goods, I would buy new and local here in Turkey, That way you would get superb service at low cost. I would not arrange transport of goods until you have secured your property )in fact I don't think you can do this).

SamSteve21

Retiring to Fethiye
Not a lot of stuff 2 king size beds , leather reclining corner sofa, dining furniture, personal possessions, books, pictures etc, Value to me is about £20k.
I was told in an earlier thread it's cheaper in the longrun to bring all your furniture. Except electronics. To be honest when I looked at shipping prices. It wasn't that expensive. Especially if you've got decent stuff that will last a few years. Good look. Please let me know how you're getting on.

gumball

gumball
Retiring to Fethiye
Was talking with someone from Keyholders in Fethiye and they said there is an English guy who goes to Turkey regularly from England , I think with a van .Has anyone else heard of this guy and possibly have his details .My concern is that I live in N.I. another stretch of water to cross.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom