Restaurants in Bodrum
Just wondering if anyone had tried these restaurants and what you thought of them...they are the main ones on my hit list for this summer

* Mamara Terrace
* Fasil Cafe Rasit
* Kafedaki
* Denizhan

Thanks in advance for any reviews
Paul

biffo

Restaurants in Bodrum
We have tried the Denizhan. The food was lovely, but we assumed that we would be able to choose from a menu, but all we were offered was a fixed meal. Lovely as it was, but it was rather expensive.

Kevin

Gail

Restaurants in Bodrum
I have been to Denizhan and Kafedaki. Denizhan will offer you a selection of mezes then bring you meat/kebabs, the service is second to none and a bit pricey but I think it's worth it.

Kafedaki is lovely also and again the service fab, nice menu and again a bit pricey but worth it.

Enjoy!

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Restaurants in Bodrum
We have been to both Denizhan and Kafedaki and sad to say not over impressed with either. Yes Denizhan is good and the service is excellent but apart from the one time that we went with a Turkish friend we felt uncomfortable and did not find that the staff were ready to explain what was what so it was a bit of pot luck what we had.

Kafedaki, been there a couple of times Service very pleasant but very slow, view of course is second to none. Food I enjoyed my first meal, but the second time I had chicken that was supposed to be stuffed with asparagus which is why I ordered it. Not one bit of asparagus to be seen the green was just courgettes, told the waitress that there was no asparagus and her attitude was that she could not have cared less. In fact I think they thought they are holiday makers so it does not matter. Wrong - come out of season they will end up with nobody. My husband did not enjoy either of his meals.

El Vino is another restaurant on the way out of Bodrum towards the airport just up the hill. Had a very nice meal there but be prepared to pay for it. View is excellent.

I find that the best places to eat are where you will find locals so it depends where you are.

pebble

Restaurants in Bodrum
We used to eat at Denizan all the time, it is in the ottoman tradition of foods, very expertly prepared, the turkish people really appreciate it and all the service and decorum that goes into the meal preparation. Maybe the tourist isnt quite in the same mind set, as this is also part of the RAKI SOFRASI that is prevelent in the ottoman then turkish culture, they do actually expalin all the mezes and courses, but in turkish, sprinkled with old ottoman sayings. so I would that that this is a very authentic ottoman feast, might not suit the average foregin tourist. and yes it is very pricey, they are going after that clientele.

The kafedaki is a fun place with lovely views, good service, they tried with the ottoman flair, but not quite carried it out. A big spot for the tourist, they have lowered their standard for the tourist trade. they have fun dishes, meat stews in terra cotta urns, fish under salt, and a lot of european style dinners.

Both places are favored by the rich jet setters of Istanbul, they have standards they have to uphold, and i dont think the foreign tourist is high on their list. it doesnt seem that they are willing to compromise.
I havent heard of the other ones thati can recall.

If you want something authentic, and are prepared to pay for it, try these two. Otherwise keep to the touristy places where your palate will be satisfied and more in tune with what you expect in local cuisine.

ChrisBobs

Restaurants in Bodrum
Denizhan can be overwhelming, but in the way that Pebble describes.

I am curious to ask where did you get the other two names?
* Mamara Terrace
* Fasil Cafe Rasit
Unless Marmara Terrace means the restaurant at the Marmara Hotel on the hill- fabulous views, some nice dishes, and again be prepared to pay for it. But Zeki the head chef is very approachable- and will try to chat in English. He gave cooking lessons up there in winter.
Fasıl Rasıt...??? maybe goes by a different name now...please bring us up to date!!
Enjoy your dining out!.

pebble

Restaurants in Bodrum
over priced places catering for the "look at me i am a rich turkish guy from istanbul" set.

well, in the uk i am sure there are places like this as well, where they wouldnt dream of serving a foreign tourist who wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a fish and chip or chipped beef on toast.

And yes, places to see and be seen.,

Restaurants in Bodrum
Thanks everyone

Chrisbobs - I do mean the marmara hotel so thanks for the clarification. As for the other, I read about it on the internet and it's supposed to be a very authentic Bodrum experience...can't be so good if nobody has heard of it!

I am happy to pay a bit more and love to be seen LOL so the pretentious nature of a restuarant doesn't really bother me, I am a tourist until I get my own place so I expect a certain amount of different treatment compared with locals.
On each visit anywhere I always visit the usual local places and eat like the locals would as much as possible but I also find some more upmarket places to try - a treat to myself and a new cullinary experience. This year I had a few to catch up on hence the list.

SANKOP

Desperately Seeking Info!
Restaurants in Bodrum
We can certainly recommend the Denizhan, as others have stated it's a bit pricey by Turkish standards, but you do get treated like royalty and will have a gastronomic experience that's well worth it (we're as common as muck, and didn't feel at all out of place rubbing shoulders with lawyers and politicians from Istanbul and Ankara, so it's not like some of the more snooty eateries that you might wander into at home).

BTW, Pebble... you should really write a restaurant critique column for one of the local papers, coz your comments are spot on.

All the best,

M&S

ChrisBobs

Restaurants in Bodrum
To add to the list- new- Adasofra in Ortakent village- take the street up from the main road between the school and the restored stone building - the PTT.
Adasofra is beside the lovely restoration of one of the 400 year old KULE (tower ) houses - complete with drawbridge. That building is now a one -room hotel!
The meal was heavenly- price was there too, so lucky to be a guest with others and try it out. Mezes and Med style. Good wine list too.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom