garrym

Efendi
Restaurants and Bars knocked down
Ali Acar the Baskan of Marmaris started today to knock down all the clubs, restaurants and bars on thr beach road (from Pizza Pizza to Migros).

There are alot of upset people and there will be more in the comming days.

While this could be seen as part of "cleaning up" Marmaris, as he has not done the same to his own hotel on the street, his motivation is up to question.

Ava

I know where Migros is but can't think where Pizza Pizza is? Do you know what bars/restaurants are being pulled down? We were there last winter and quite a few on the beach front were being rebuilt so that they came up to standard.

garrym

Efendi
Hi, as you head towards Marmaris on the beach side road (not the Migros road itself) after about 1k you arrive at the main road 400 mtrs from the Ataturk statue, I believe its this whole stretch, more than 50 establishments. Its a dramatic move.

Ava

A lot of that stretch was demolished last year and rebuilt. Do you know if it's just the unlicensed establishments or are they targeting everyone? I assume not if Ali Acer's hotel is safe. Some of the bars deserve all that's coming to them but a lot comply with all the changes and still are made to suffer.

uncle fester

Senior Member.
will be starting in gumbet knocking many places down very shortly,to put the electric cables under ground. which will be good for gumbet.??????????.

Mirazz

Apparently its the pubs and clubs between Captains and Baran on the beach front. This is excluding Turtle Bar as it was rebuilt further back from the beach for this years season. The mayor's hotel, The Nergis Beach, is is the middle of this stretch and is not being knocked down, although some part of the front was being demolished, I can only think it is the little building near the front which is not part of the actual hotel itself.

I have heard that the bars are being build back up but further back from the beach front. Work started today on Ayesha (sp) restaurant.

Ava

That makes sense, I couldn't understand why he would demolish bars that had already complied with his plans. I can see the reasoning behind the changes, the parts of the front that have been upgraded are better to walk on and don't seem as crowded.

Mirazz

The beachfront could do with a revamp so I have mixed feelings about the change. I will miss the bars the way they are, Bar X, Seaside etc. but in the light of day they are an eyesore. The bars will be smaller insider and the music has to go off at 1.00 a.m. I think the mayor is trying to move the party animals (myself included :)) to bar street and make the long beach more 'family friendly'. Like I say, I have mixed emotions about it all as have spent many a good night in these bars :(

Ava

I agree, although I understood that if they had air conditioning and closed the doors then the music could continue until later. (We’ve partied until four or five in the morning with the doors closed. Usually with the bar owner.) This is to let the hotel guests sleep if they want to. Never could understand why anyone would book a hotel on the beach front if they wanted a quiet hotel, it's the same people who complain about the noise! What do they expect?

Let's hope the good bars stay and are changed for the better and the dodgier bars are gone for good.

Tourists are not going to move to Bar Street just because they are pointed in that direction. The bar owners have always known that!

garrym

Efendi
Ali Acar's family went to court and got a temporary stay of execution on their own hotel... so it seems its all of them. Ali says it will take a week to knock them all down.

Ava

This doesn't make sense a hotel the size of this would have agreements with the major tour operators for two or more years in advance. They can't change their pricing structure this late in the day to offset the costs involved in rebuilding. Thomas Cook et al have the 2011 brochures/holidays in the pipeline just now and will have agreed contracts. They won't be able to rebuild it and do all the interior/exterior renovations in six months. It's possible that this is a smoke screen and it will be the pool and gardens that will be affected not the full hotel.

Mirazz

I agree with Ava. The hotel building itself is set well back from the beach front. I should imagine they will be making the gardens smaller, knocking down the little building thing near the children's pool and maybe the shower and toilet block.

I stayed in the hotel twice this year, the second time being in only September. It's a beautiful hotel and I really can't see it being knocked down. Actually, my friend is already book up for a fortnight in June 2010.

garrym

Efendi
As I live around the corner, I just took a walk to look for myself at what was going on.

They have started at the "Baran" caberet bar and heading down the coast towards icmeler they have completely distroyed the next six establishments. I could see that this included Natalies for example.

These places were both close to and set back from the beach, but I can not know their licience situation.

The diggers were waiting with guards, I assume to resume tommorrow.

Ava

Thanks.Keep us posted. Bed time for me I'm up at 6am for work.

garrym

Efendi
Sorry if I was not clear, these are not the hotels, but the bars etc. that have been built infront of them. Some of these are however very substantial buildings.

these bars was supposed to be knocked down last winter.they our suppose to be getting rebuilt. we will see.they needed to be knocked down ,you cant stop progress.

garrym

Efendi
Update:
The Baran does not exist. The set back building of the Turtle bar remains, infront has gone. All the bars and restaurants from there until the Beach Club (level with point centre) have gone (maybe 15).
It looks like the blitz just rubble and twisted metal. In many places you can see over the rubble right through to the main road. It appears that the buildings infront of Ali Acar's hotel have now also been flatened (there was lots of anger about it remaining previously).
Ali is saying today that he is to flaten 100 premises in total over the week. I couldnt see the diggers anymore so I dont know where is next.
Ali says the areas will be cleaned and charged to the owners who should have removed the premises themselves when told to do so.

Ava

these bars was supposed to be knocked down last winter.they our suppose to be getting rebuilt. we will see.they needed to be knocked down ,you cant stop progress.

At what cost though! Someone has to pay at the end of the day, if the owners do rebuild the bars then they might not be able to pay for all the staff next season ot they'll put the prices up. Ultimately with the high cost of airfares tourists will find another resort or even country to visit.

Big Paul

Moved at last
We took a walk down the beach front today to have a look. Plenty of scrap metal people working away.
Bit of a mess now but Marmaris is like a Hollywood set - built up and looking good in a matter of weeks.

Attachments

• Demo1.jpg
    Demo1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 156
  • demo2.jpg
    demo2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 146
  • demo3.jpg
    demo3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 141
  • demo4.jpg
    demo4.jpg