ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Resident Brits A Mystery
British Consul General to Turkey, Jessica Hand, has admitted she has no idea how many Brits are living in Turkey, and is encouraging them to register with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (might not be a good idea!)

She made her remarks during her working tour to South Western Turkey which included visits to Bodrum, Fethiye and Marmaris which have large British populations.

She also met with British people who lost money, land and property but said nothing much publicly about these meetings.

Here's hoping she will deliver some real truths about the property market to the Turkish Government.

Article here

C

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Resident Brits A Mystery
I doubt it. It is not in the nature of the Foreign Office to make a fuss.

If she really was interested how many Brits live here, she could just ask the Turkish police for the information. The Consul is not interested - they don't see themselves as caretakers of Brits abroad - perhaps quite right too.

Ian

Bubskar

Resident Brits A Mystery
I doubt it. It is not in the nature of the Foreign Office to make a fuss.

If she really was interested how many Brits live here, she could just ask the Turkish police for the information. The Consul is not interested - they don't see themselves as caretakers of Brits abroad - perhaps quite right too.

Ian

Here here. They'll tell you (the Consul) that being registered with them is good for knowing the numbers of expats in the area and also in case of emergency and/or a disaster (presumably earthquake).They say they could easily locate you if they needed to. On the contrary, I believe they have a hidden agenda, more info makes "more revenue prizes" - so in that case I will take my chances and not register. I personally think the UK authorities have enough info on me thank you very much, so I intend to stay as "anon" as possible whilst here, I don't trust the buggers. They were never really concerned about my welfare when I was in the UK whilst I was handing them a nice wodge of tax money, so I don't need their concern now.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Resident Brits A Mystery
How cynical are you lot? :p

Just bloody right too mind you - I wouldn't trust the slimy gits as far as I could throw them.....

C

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Resident Brits A Mystery
also if you register as resident in Turkey, you write off your access to free treatment on the NHS

martin

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Resident Brits A Mystery
We have handed out the registration forms at WIT meetings in the past but not many takers. Having spoken to various people about it over the last year or so, it seems there are lots of reasons for not wanting to be registered from fear of the CSA to having left behind debts.

Isnt it funny that a lot of Brits are the first up in arms about Turkish people being dodgy. Stones and glass houses I say.

Resident Brits A Mystery
i not hiding from anyone i just dont want the tax man to know where i am, he robbed enough money of me when my father died i am not paying him anything else !!!

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Resident Brits A Mystery
........If she really was interested how many Brits live here, she could just ask the Turkish police for the information.....
I asked the question of Willie B who came to Didim. He told me that the Police would not release the info to them due to the Data Protection Act. Make of that what you will !!!

Bubskar

Resident Brits A Mystery
I appreciate what you say Kym but for me personally, I have absolutely nothing to hide. I am a fully paid up member of British Society, never having taken a penny out of the pot to which I have contributed much and I owe absolutely nothing to the Goverment confers nor am I in debt to them or any other agency.

Because of the way my country has turned out, I chose to leave it, like so many thousands of disgruntled people in order to have a little last vestige of happiness and contentment. Nothing more and nothing less.

The UK government is fully aware of this - they are not able or prepared to "put their house in order" so daily they find ways and means of keeping expats miserable and "attached" by taxation and other obstables by penalising "the expat" from leaving their homestead.

By sticking up your hand and saying "here I am" is playing right into their hands. As I said before, the less they know of me the better.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Resident Brits A Mystery
I asked the question of Willie B who came to Didim. He told me that the Police would not release the info to them due to the Data Protection Act. Make of that what you will !!!

I'm not familiar with the Turkish DPA, but assuming it is like any other, it does not stop them saying how many people live in different areas. Numbers and stats don't breach any confidentiality.

You would imagine they would like to know how many of their potential customers exist in an area so they can decide the level of service to provide - like any business.

So I think it comes back to a lack of interest on their part.

Ian

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Resident Brits A Mystery
I registered when I came out here. At that time it was a paper to complete. Then, when I moved house I went on-line to make the change and found I had to start again because the paper record had not been put on the system. Then, the next time I tried to access it using the passwords provided, none of them worked and I was invited to re-register: I didn't bother.
Incidentally, when I moved here I also told the tax man who, after a few letters back and fore, told me they were no longer interested in me and unless my circumstances changed they would not contact me again.

Ian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom