Saoirse

Residency Extension Surprise
Maybe others already know this but I was certainly surprised- applied for RP extension after my initial 12 month one

Because my new rental agreement only lasts a few months I thought I would be granted an RP to cover just that period

Received it yesterday and was surprised to see despite such short term proof of rental my RP was extended for the full 2 years

I now however have the problem convincing the
Turkophile big girl that we dont HAVE to stay for the full RP period and are fully entitled to return to Espana as arranged end February!!!

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Maybe others already know this but I was certainly surprised- applied for RP extension after my initial 12 month one

Because my new rental agreement only lasts a few months I thought I would be granted an RP to cover just that period

Received it yesterday and was surprised to see despite such short term proof of rental my RO was extended for the full 2 years
I thought your rental agreement had to cover the dates, but they say you can get one living in a hotel.

Saoirse

No idea if it's just speculation but my RP agent believes due to current circumstances Europeans RP applications are being viewed generously - whilst others from less developed nations who may contribute less to economy are being more rigorously scrutinized

Certainly in this area proof of finances has been dropped for European applicants

Last edited:

MJL

Ohhhhhh, that’s good news, thank you so much! Having to renew my residency in late December. I will post how it goes, trying to do it DIY with a friend this time so fingers crossed we don’t mess it up! Lol

enoch

Top Poster Of Month

Kanga

Are you in TC? Nordic Monitor may not be accessible.. This article has used official statistics from Turkish government sources. It also reveals the exceptional generosity of the government towards refugees.

Extract
According to official statistics obtained by Nordic Monitor, there were a total of 1,300,220 foreigners with residence permits in Turkey in 2021, compared to 886,652 in 2020. The most common type of residence permit was a short-term residence permit granted to 954,812 people. Foreigners who own real estate in Turkey and tourists who extended their stay most frequently applied for short-term residence permits. There are 114,732 people in Turkey with student residence permits. Foreign nationals who are married to a Turkish citizen or have children with them benefit from a family residence permit, which was given to 89,595 people in 2021.

Ekran-Resmi-2021-12-30-19.58.36.png

Countries whose citizens benefited the most from residence permits were Iraq, Turkmenistan, Syria, Iran and Uzbekistan. Azeris top the list for student residence permits in Turkey. Again Azeris, Uzbeks and Russians comprise the majority of foreigners living legally in Turkey with family residence permits.

The city most preferred by foreigners with residence permits by far is İstanbul, with 684,054 people. İstanbul is followed by Ankara and Antalya. According to official data, Tunceli (Dersim), a city heavily populated by Alevis, is the place where the fewest foreigners live, just 48 people.

Ekran-Resmi-2021-12-30-19.59.17.png

Turkey traditionally does not grant immigrant status to refugees. No matter how long they stay or work in Turkey, very few can become citizens, and only their residence permits are extended. In 2017 Turkey kicked off a real estate campaign to encourage the sale of housing to foreigners to meet its foreign exchange needs. In addition to that, it was also announced that a residence permit for one year would be granted to foreigners who buy a house in Turkey, regardless of price. Turkish citizenship was promised to foreigners who bought real estate priced at $1 million. In 2019 this limit was reduced to $250,000, leading to an increase in housing sales. The opposition has harshly criticized the government for selling the citizenship of the Republic of Turkey and devaluing it.

Turkey has been giving temporary protection status to refugees fleeing Syria since 2011. There were 3,734,876 Syrians under temporary protection in Turkey in 2021.

According to Turkey’s General Directorate of Migration Management, as of December 23, 2021 the province with the largest number of Syrians was Istanbul, with 533,737 refugees. Gaziantep, a southern city, followed Istanbul with 460,496. A total of 101,851 Syrians live in Ankara, whose population is around 5.6 million.

When the number of Syrians is compared to the general population, the highest rate can be found in the small southern province of Kilis, where Syrians comprise 75.51 percent of residents. The lowest rate is 0.04 percent, in Bayburt, where only 34 Syrians officially live. Registered Syrians under temporary protection status account for 4.54 percent of the population of Turkey, which is 82,280,952.

Ekran-Resmi-2021-12-30-20.01.11.png

A worsening economy and the opposition’s pressure on refugees are causing a radical change in the government narrative. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan often stated in the past that hosting Syrian refugees in Turkey was a religious duty as well as a matter of conscience. It is no secret that Erdoğan holds a trump card against the European Union by keeping Syrian refugees in Turkey and that this prevents the EU from imposing any sanctions for his anti-democratic actions against his critics.

However, the changing public mood shows that Erdoğan will not be able to use refugees or irregular migrants at the negotiating table for much longer. President Erdoğan in September said for the first time that he was aware of the Turkish public’s unease about refugees. He reiterated that the country had reinforced its border with Iran with the military, gendarmerie and police and that a wall being erected along the frontier was nearing completion. Regarding migrants, Erdoğan also said if the people of Europe live in peace and security today, it is thanks to Turkey’s sacrifices, which the opposition considered a political confession.

According to the data, there are 5,035,094 foreigners legally in Turkey, including Syrians who are under protection and those who have residence permits. There is also a large, illegal Afghan and Syrian population in Turkey. Many people from Cental Asian countries come to Turkey to work illegally. Although their number is low, there are Africans who were just passing through Turkey who have not yet been able to leave the country.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Are you in TC? Nordic Monitor may not be accessible.. This article has used official statistics from Turkish government sources. It also reveals the exceptional generosity of the government towards refugees.

Extract
According to official statistics obtained by Nordic Monitor, there were a total of 1,300,220 foreigners with residence permits in Turkey in 2021, compared to 886,652 in 2020. The most common type of residence permit was a short-term residence permit granted to 954,812 people. Foreigners who own real estate in Turkey and tourists who extended their stay most frequently applied for short-term residence permits. There are 114,732 people in Turkey with student residence permits. Foreign nationals who are married to a Turkish citizen or have children with them benefit from a family residence permit, which was given to 89,595 people in 2021.

View attachment 25539

Countries whose citizens benefited the most from residence permits were Iraq, Turkmenistan, Syria, Iran and Uzbekistan. Azeris top the list for student residence permits in Turkey. Again Azeris, Uzbeks and Russians comprise the majority of foreigners living legally in Turkey with family residence permits.

The city most preferred by foreigners with residence permits by far is İstanbul, with 684,054 people. İstanbul is followed by Ankara and Antalya. According to official data, Tunceli (Dersim), a city heavily populated by Alevis, is the place where the fewest foreigners live, just 48 people.

View attachment 25540

Turkey traditionally does not grant immigrant status to refugees. No matter how long they stay or work in Turkey, very few can become citizens, and only their residence permits are extended. In 2017 Turkey kicked off a real estate campaign to encourage the sale of housing to foreigners to meet its foreign exchange needs. In addition to that, it was also announced that a residence permit for one year would be granted to foreigners who buy a house in Turkey, regardless of price. Turkish citizenship was promised to foreigners who bought real estate priced at $1 million. In 2019 this limit was reduced to $250,000, leading to an increase in housing sales. The opposition has harshly criticized the government for selling the citizenship of the Republic of Turkey and devaluing it.

Turkey has been giving temporary protection status to refugees fleeing Syria since 2011. There were 3,734,876 Syrians under temporary protection in Turkey in 2021.

According to Turkey’s General Directorate of Migration Management, as of December 23, 2021 the province with the largest number of Syrians was Istanbul, with 533,737 refugees. Gaziantep, a southern city, followed Istanbul with 460,496. A total of 101,851 Syrians live in Ankara, whose population is around 5.6 million.

When the number of Syrians is compared to the general population, the highest rate can be found in the small southern province of Kilis, where Syrians comprise 75.51 percent of residents. The lowest rate is 0.04 percent, in Bayburt, where only 34 Syrians officially live. Registered Syrians under temporary protection status account for 4.54 percent of the population of Turkey, which is 82,280,952.

View attachment 25541

A worsening economy and the opposition’s pressure on refugees are causing a radical change in the government narrative. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan often stated in the past that hosting Syrian refugees in Turkey was a religious duty as well as a matter of conscience. It is no secret that Erdoğan holds a trump card against the European Union by keeping Syrian refugees in Turkey and that this prevents the EU from imposing any sanctions for his anti-democratic actions against his critics.

However, the changing public mood shows that Erdoğan will not be able to use refugees or irregular migrants at the negotiating table for much longer. President Erdoğan in September said for the first time that he was aware of the Turkish public’s unease about refugees. He reiterated that the country had reinforced its border with Iran with the military, gendarmerie and police and that a wall being erected along the frontier was nearing completion. Regarding migrants, Erdoğan also said if the people of Europe live in peace and security today, it is thanks to Turkey’s sacrifices, which the opposition considered a political confession.

According to the data, there are 5,035,094 foreigners legally in Turkey, including Syrians who are under protection and those who have residence permits. There is also a large, illegal Afghan and Syrian population in Turkey. Many people from Cental Asian countries come to Turkey to work illegally. Although their number is low, there are Africans who were just passing through Turkey who have not yet been able to leave the country.
In Turkey but not a problem with VPN.

MJL

I’m popping to aydin to apply for my new residency, I’m hoping more than 12 months, fingers crossed. New U.K. passport. Insurance was 250tl for residency, got to pay more for proper insurance. Will update on the process

As I recall there was a law which required the RP holders to have to live in Turkey for 9 months or more in a year or their RP will be deemed invalid. Does that law still stand or they can have their permit and come and go as they please.

MJL

As I recall there was a law which required the RP holders to have to live in Turkey for 9 months or more in a year or their RP will be deemed invalid. Does that law still stand or they can have their permit and come and go as they please.
Yes, not allowed out of Turkey for more than 3 months of the year With the residency. With the old tourist visa you could just pop somewhere and return with a stamp in the passport but they’ve followed EU guidelines 90 days in then 90 days out.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Yes, not allowed out of Turkey for more than 3 months of the year With the residency. With the old tourist visa you could just pop somewhere and return with a stamp in the passport but they’ve followed EU guidelines 90 days in then 90 days out.
Sorry but people with RP for 1 or 2 years can stop out as long as they like. It used to be a limited time out but it was changed. Your correct about the 90 day visa.

Kanga

Enoch is correct. There was a rule for a short while which said you could not leave Turkey for more than 120 days in a year but it caused so many problems it was dropped. Some people found it caused tax problems in their home countries, and some people got quite upset and sold up.

Enoch is correct. There was a rule for a short while which said you could not leave Turkey for more than 120 days in a year but it caused so many problems it was dropped. Some people found it caused tax problems in their home countries, and some people got quite upset and sold up.
Thank you for that.
here is another one for you. Let’s suppose I get a one year RP and stay in turkey for the whole year. But then If I don’t wish to renew my permit and so leave turkey can I return the next day or week with a tourist visa and stay for another 3 months or my pR stay will count towards my 90 day limit
Many thanks

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
When staying out of the country for long periods remember that after 8 years you only qualify for long term residency if you have not been out of Turkey for more than 120 days in the last 5 years.

MJL

When staying out of the country for long periods remember that after 8 years you only qualify for long term residency if you have not been out of Turkey for more than 120 days in the last 5 years.
Ah, that’s probably where things got lost in translation as they say, was told at the immigration office I couldn’t leave for more than three months

Ken Grubb

here is another one for you. Let’s suppose I get a one year RP and stay in turkey for the whole year. But then If I don’t wish to renew my permit and so leave turkey can I return the next day or week with a tourist visa and stay for another 3 months or my pR stay will count towards my 90 day limit
You can return with a tourist visa. The time spent in Turkey on a residence permit doesn't count against the visa. They are two completely different things.

Kanga

The one annoying thing about the visa/RP application is that the RP is always backdated to first date of entry, so if you come in on a visa and later apply for the RP they've had a year's payment for 9 months. I've always felt it should be from date of issue.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom