Residence permit for a foreigner married to a Turkish spouse.
Does someone know if a residence permit for a foreigner married to a Turkisch citizen can be easely obtained and if their is a difference for a person that isn't married with a Turkisch citizen? We would want to find out before we make our move to retirement in Mahmutlar. This will be in the next couple of years we hope:roundgrin

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Re: Residence permit for a foreigner married to a Turkisch spouse.

From people I know, there is no difference in the process, no discounts or shortcuts.

Ian

Vicky

Nope there is no difference, same process and costs. Though if you are married to a Turkish National you can apply for your kimlik after 3 years of residenct where as you normally have to wait 5 years.

Vicky

Thanks Ian and Vicky, It is a pity that the residence permit is so costly in Turkey. When my wife arrived in Belgium for the first time after our marriage she could get a five year permit without any cost. How much does one has to pay for a tourist visa in pounds today in Turkey? I heard that the price in Euros has increased to 15 for a 90 days tourist visa.

90 day Tourist visa in GBP = £10

Crystalclear

Last edited by a moderator:

The next time we go we better take some GBP than. It will make a difference for us people visiting from the Eurozone.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
If you have a passport issued by a European state, you can only pay in Euros or US Dollars!

The £10 visa price is ONLY applicable to UK passport holders.

Last edited:

holloway road

hopefully i will be soldier in 2 months in Turkey if any brits marry i think that they can get kimlik before 3 years :D

waterbaby

A tourist visa is £10 for 90 days or 15euro for 90 days. Being married to a Turk makes no difference in price for residency unfortunately. It is approx 600 Tl for 1 year, bloody expensive isn't it! After 3 years of marriage you can apply for Turkish Citizenship which involes quite abit of paperwork and a language test,if you pass the language test you get your Turkish ID card (kimlik). I have been told this is absoloutly FREE , i do find that hard to believe as not many things in life are free especially in Turkey lol

Firebrand

I've been thinking about applying for Turkish citizenship in the UK to get around all the visas etc in the future (as I'm married to a Turkish citizen) but from what I've heard the language test can be quite hard. I'd be interested to hear others experiences.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
There have been a variety of posts on other Turkey related forums about the language test.

There's no set format for it and, like many things in Turkey, it depends on "who you know". Various writers have mentioned just being tested on the usual "niceties and greetings" in Turkish with a couple of local government officials, right up the extreme of discussing Turkey's current political climate with a professor of languages for 10 minutes.

Firebrand

That's what scares me! I don't suppose if you know if the differences are dependent on where you are applying - ie within Turkey or the UK?

Last edited by a moderator:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
I think the majority of the posters made their applications in Turkey and the intensity of the test varies from region to region.

A couple of them also mentioned that they felt that the interviewers seemed to be quite hostile to the idea of a Yabanci marrying a Turk and then trying to gain citizenship.

Last edited:
M

Mack

In response to the original question, No, there is no difference for a Brit married to a Turk when getting your residence permit, as has been mention after 3 years of marriage (and unbroken residency in Turkey) you can apply for a Kimlik card. I have a friend who just got his and he wasnt required to take any language test at all, maybe the rules have changed (for Antalya at least).

leylaasena

Marc, are you British?

If you're not, then you need to check with the Turkish Embassy for the citizenship rules that apply to your country.
For example, I beleive the Belgium doesn't allow dual citizenship ( like Germany).If you are either Belgian or German you'll have to give up your Belgian/German citizenship in order to take Turkish citizenship.
As Brits we can have dual citizenship so this isn't a consideration for us.

Also I think the rules concerning how long you have to wait after marriage are reciprocal so depend on the rules for Turks moving to your country.

Of course, if you're a Brit just ignore me !!!!!

Hi and thanks for the replys. I am not a Brit but a Belgian citizen. Like you point out the rules may be different from national to national because of the Turkisch system.I am not intended to become a TC but we want to be able to stay for about 6 months in a year in our residence. Renewing a tourist visum after the initial 90 days will be an option since the residence permit is still expensive.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom