Moves slowly out onto the road.
The floral tributes line the route
While comrades snap a smart salute.

At the edge of a Wiltshire town
The cortege slows its pace right down.
The streets are packed, many deep,
Some throw flowers, most just weep.

The crowd have come to say farewell,
The church bell rings a low death knell.
Regimental standards are lowered down
As the hero passed through the town.

The cortege stops and silence reigns
The townsfolk feel the family's pain.
The nations' flag lowered to half mast
Our brave hero is home at last.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Repatriation
A very nice and very apt poem at this present time Alan.
A total of 94 injured in July, double the number in June... it was never going to be a cake walk and it's more difficult without thr right equipment and support from the government.

Just a short rant, sorry.

Alan.

Saoirse

Repatriation
I agree with you I too couldnt be arsed with another long row about this whilst people are losing their lives daily.

My own belief actually coincides with an opinion I heard expressed on a programme on Sunday by the leader of an NGO who has been out in Afghanistan forthe past 10 years. Leave, let the people sort this out themselves.

The nonesense that its a al quaeda breeding ground has been well exposed that virtually none of the known operatives are from there but rather Pakistan and Saudi (both allies)

The myth that its in support of democracy was again exposed last week when the puppet regime, lead by the Afghan President declared that they believed it was correct to use starvation and rape to ensure women gave themselves to their husbands (great advance in democracy achieved there!)

I could go on but suffice to say this area has never been subjugated and most experts accept it never will and whilst armchair generals and politicians preach nonesense about why the west is there both afghans and foreigners are dying needlessly.

Indeed for once I am not in the minority on this.Recent polls show around 60% of people in UK say withdraw

Last edited:

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Repatriation
I have no hard time with our troops leaving it's how do we protect our homelands if we allow these terrorists to grow in size. Make it so all Middle Eastern people have to leave for our own protection? I don't think that would work anyways....so how do we protect ourselves from fighting them on our homeland besides fighting THEM on THEIR homeland?

Biker Bob

Saoirse

Repatriation
If you are so up for "fighting them on their homeland" it would mean invading 2 of the allies own countries! (Saudi and Pakistan) where it is acknowledged the vast majority of the enemy are from and almost entirely where they are based and train

This of course brings us back to politics as to why that wont happen. Meanwhile the pointless deaths continue....

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Repatriation
What a wonderful poem straight from the heart.”oooh”,we all would love to live in peace with everyone in the world.But what is causing all this hatred towards each and everyone of us.
I personally think it has something to do with the system we are all living under.Humans have been trying to solve their political and religious differences for thousands of years and all attempts have failed,due to the a system that is hell bent on money only to gain more power to destabilize an area for selfish means.Human lives are meaningless to the rulers when money is at stake here and will at all cost chase something they want by sacrificing the innocence to achieve their goals.

What is the answer.The answer is to have a whole different way of thinking towards other countries and their way of life,helping each and everyone of them is just one of the many steps towards a peace that will flourish within the global communities if we act with respect and not for selfish reasons.The system must change completely that has no policies that will incite anger.The monetary system is one.lt creates the have and have not and breeds corruption that leads to war.

The religious system has caused so many conflicts and suffering which is the main contributor to destabilizing vast communities that has led the people in living with fear and insecurity.The other one is the political system that has no honour and respect towards the people of that country their suppose to be representing.They are just a legal criminalized organization to deceive the people only to feed their way of life,by exploiting their honest hard earned money.

All these l have mentioned are the main contributors to war and unrest.Once these three system are out of the way and a new system is in place to serve the people for the right reason to promote a harmonious tranquil way of life.Then there will be no such thing as war,conflicts,unrest,oppression.

Sorry,l'm off one again

Last edited:

Saoirse

Repatriation
I had to check the author of this twice cos you and I never usually agree!

On this occassion there is a lot you have said which is very very true.

well done Bob

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Repatriation
If you are so up for "fighting them on their homeland" it would mean invading 2 of the allies own countries! (Saudi and Pakistan) where it is acknowledged the vast majority of the enemy are from and almost entirely where they are based and train

This of course brings us back to politics as to why that wont happen. Meanwhile the pointless deaths continue....

Pakistan is stepping up to the plate in their fight against the Taliban...don't know about Saudi...I didn't say I was " So up for fighting them on their homeland" I do believe it's a better place to fight them though if we need to.
I would prefer all our troops leave Iraq and Afganastan and give up on their fight against the taliban but would the taliban coninue to be terrorists to the free world? Me thinks so, I wish not but their record shows they would.

Biker Bob

Saoirse

Repatriation
If only it were that simple that the Taliban (indeed Bin Laden too) were always the bad guys.
Unfortunately they were fully supported,trained and equipped by the West when it suited them.
As usual in these manufactured conflicts its not the fickle politicians who change their minds as to whos the bad guy,that pay in blood but the poor sods on all sides who are on the ground

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Repatriation
Sadly here in the UK, although we like to think of ourselves as a peace loving nation, peace is never enjoyed for very long. We have fought in so many countries that it sometimes feels that we are always at war with someone or on behalf of someone. Are we i ask, a nation of warmongers ?

Steve.

Last edited:

Tess

Repatriation
KKOB, a very moving tribute to probably a loving son, husband and father, really sad!!!

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Repatriation
Sadly here in the UK, although we like to think of ourselves as a peace loving nation, peace is never enjoyed for very long. We have fought in so many countries that it sometimes feels that we are always at war with someone or on behalf of someone. Are we i ask, a nation of warmongers ?

Steve.

Steve.

I'm afraid that history suggests that we are a nation of warmongers... I remember a saying "in every far flung corner of the world you will find a patch of land that will be forever England "... or something along those lines..
The former British Empire was fought for and won in a lot of cases.

Alan.

Repatriation
Look. Please don't ban me [again] for this crit', but this is POOR poetry.
I am not criticizing the sentiment, just the poetry.
Simple rhyme does not a poem make!
Grammatical reversals [as that above] are a certain no no and PLEASE.. the paramount need is rhythm.
Take line 3 in stanza 1. To make that scan you gotta' smash up the forth word to "presh---us"..than gold.
I could go on but it only gets worse.
Sorry guys. I hate that [those] wars and honour the dead but they do deserve better poetry than this.

Tess

Repatriation
I think it came from the heart Dwight and to me that is the main thing, just because a line don't rhyme, don't make it any less poignant to me.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Repatriation
To me its the sentiment that matters... I'm no poet but it was fine for me.
But if you can do better Dwight I'd be happy to read it.

Alan.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Repatriation
Come on then Dwight show us what you can do. :wink:

Or is it the case of another critic who knows how to do it, has seen how to do it, can tell others when they're doing it wrong, but can't do it themselves ? :roundgrin

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Repatriation
Look. Please don't ban me [again] for this crit', but this is POOR poetry.
I am not criticizing the sentiment, just the poetry.
Simple rhyme does not a poem make!
Grammatical reversals [as that above] are a certain no no and PLEASE.. the paramount need is rhythm.
Take line 3 in stanza 1. To make that scan you gotta' smash up the forth word to "presh---us"..than gold.
I could go on but it only gets worse.
Sorry guys. I hate that [those] wars and honour the dead but they do deserve better poetry than this.

It's easy to critic someone's efforts, how about your improving it for the author and thereby proving your own talent.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom