Navan

Non Active Mmember
Repainting and Decoration?
I have just given a guy the go ahead to paint the inside stairs of our apartment block as it looks a mess and we want to sell. I never consulted my neighbors about the choice of color figuring if it was painted white then there would be no worries about color matching in future when bits get dirty so I was being practical. We paid as most of them are Turkish and paying for paint to make the mad Irish woman upstairs happy is not on their list of priorities. I'm afraid to go back over in July. Will they hate me or love me for what I did?

Anna

Gail

Anna they probably won't mind as you have paid[:p] Take them some cadburys they will be sure to love you them;)

Gail :)

Navan

Non Active Mmember
The guy painting it is English so I imahine he will pay a little more attention and he has been warned not to water down the paint. I was quoted £700 by one of the estate agents and they know who they are then I went to Dave Bedford at Countrywideturkishproperties and they charged me £250. What a difference!!!!!

Anna

merlin

Anna - they do not use paint for stairs - they use a water based compound called Kirac - you may have seen many Turkish houses painted both inside and out with this. Kirac is sold in plastic bags by the Kilo and costs peanuts. Its usually applied with a broom.

Merv!

Navan

Non Active Mmember
With a broom! How do they get in to the corners with a broom?

Anna

merlin

You would be suprised Anna! Seriously, you dont wanna be using paint. I would get the "job" reviewed. The Kirac will cost you no more than 25 lira and a days work at 40 lira should do the job. With a tip - 100 lira Total.

Merv!

Navan

Non Active Mmember
Why do they use this? I painted a little piece of the hall myself with paint and it was ok. I don't care what they use really as long as it looks a lot better so we can sell our place and buy in Akbuk.

anna

merlin

They also use the same stuff to paint trees. Usually about 1 metre up from the base.

Again, you may have seen this and wondered why?

Kirac deters all insects and in trees as in apartment buildings and houses, Kirac is also used inherently to keep all creepie crawlies away.

Once you use paint on a building or structure, you can never use Kirac again.

Most Turkish people would not use paint as the cost is prohibitive and maintenance expensive compared to a "brushover" of Kirac.

Follow me now?

Merv!

Navan

Non Active Mmember
You are a wealth of information Mr Lee. How did we ever manage without you? ;)

Anna

merlin

Just a bit concerned your neighbours might not thank you - after you move away they will be left with having to repaint it in the future at a much higher rate than you would pay for kirac.

On the other hand, if the painter you have retained does the job in kirac and not paint - the charge should be no more than 40-50 sterling.

So, 250 less 45 = 205 pounds OR 60 G&Ts at Turkish prices.

Merv!

brenda

brenda
where in altinkum can i get a trustworthy wee soul to paint my inside ceilings with this kirac stuff? i am in a turkish block and think this must be what had been used but could do with getting redone as its flaking!

I hate creepy crawlies, and I have just had one of my bedrooms painted. Oh S**t....
OK well there is nothing I can do about this....
So how do you know that Kirac was used in the first place. Does it come in other colours?

brenda

brenda
I'm assuming mine was done with kirac as the bits that are flaking off are coming off in thicker harder layers than any paint i've ever seen! So if anyone knows of a DIY bud able to help then let me know please!

ziggy

Hi - I know this is an old thread, but does this Kirac stuff come in colours, and if I have bought a new apartment with pink walls has it been painted or Kiraced, because I need to get it done when I come to live later in the year, and I want it a cream colour. Advise anyone???

This Kirac stuff is interesting as we are going over to paint the outside of our villa for the first time. How can we tell that it was painted with Kirac? or not ?

The outside of our villa is textured and quite spiky. Does anyone know if we can put Kirac over that?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom