MJL

Rental increase
Is this right, my neighbour is telling me new rules are in and a 25% rental increase is coming in by law, I only know of it being legal for a 4% increase, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Rental increase
Is this right, my neighbour is telling me new rules are in and a 25% rental increase is coming in by law, I only know of it being legal for a 4% increase, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
25% came in this year I and I think it has been started a bit back. Some spots have gone up more than that.

Saoirse

Rental increase
Yes

The new law states that the maximum increase should not exceed 25%.

Being Turkey what it guarantees in reality of course is virtually nothing.

Yes in theory you could take your landlord to court should he exceed 25% increase- good luck with that and even better luck were you to win your case!!

Imagine staying in his property after you defeated him in court- reckon your utilities etc would regularly fail!!!

MJL

Rental increase
Yes

The new law states that the maximum increase should not exceed 25%.

Being Turkey what it guarantees in reality of course is virtually nothing.

Yes in theory you could take your landlord to court should he exceed 25% increase- good luck with that and even better luck were you to win your case!!

Imagine staying in his property after you defeated him in court- reckon your utilities etc would regularly fail!!!
I think a lot of landlords will not be getting rent, I know it’s extremely hard to get out a tenant, they should be glad of getting regular payment!

I have a two year contract, not up until 2024

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Rental increase
Do you happen to have a link to a government website for this please
The info I found here:
What is the New Temporary Rent Cap?
A new law was approved by the Turkish Grand National Assembly on 8 June 2022 which limits the rate of increase with regard to rental prices to 25% of the rent of the previous rental year. The New Law came into effect on 11 June 2022, when it was published in the official gazette. As per this legislation, the rental price will continue to increase as per the CPI, provided that the it is below 25%, in which case, it will cap at 25%. The New Law will be valid until 1 July 2023. This law pertains only to residential agreements and not commercial ones.

Landlords do not have the right to sue
Assoc. Dr. Umut Yeniocak, finally, "Although it is a change that will cause unfair results for landlords, this Law, which imposes a 25 percent increase limit on rent increase, is claimed to be unconstitutional and the Constitutional Court has been appealed to and the Court has decided to cancel the Law. Unfortunately, landlords do not have a right to file a lawsuit regarding this law change or its consequences.” made its assessment.

How to Respond to an Illegal Rent Increase?
If the landlord notifies you that they unilaterally increased the rental price before the renewal period or to an illegal degree, this notification will have no legal effect. Tenants can still continue to pay their rent as per their agreement, or if the agreement is renewed, the increased legal amount as per CPI (or 25% as the case may be).

It might be useful to know (in case the landlord threatens with eviction) that the landlord cannot evict the tenant because the tenant refuses to pay an illegal rent increase, even if the term of the rental agreement is concluded.

What does the 25% Rent Increase Limit Cover?
"With the temporary law adopted at the General Assembly of the Grand National Assembly of Turkey on 8 June 2022, an upper limit of 25 percent was imposed on the agreements regarding the increase of the rental price in rental agreements."
"THIS RULE, WHICH WILL BE EFFECTIVE UNTIL JULY 1, 2023, WILL BE IMPLEMENTED ON JULY 1,"

Latest Posts

Top Bottom