JillyT

Slightly Crazy But Nice
Rent Stop in Gumbet 4 Baby Eqpt + More
Hello to you all on Turkish Living. I am a new member on this site although I have been living in Turkey for 5 years now.
My husband and I run a rental shop in Gumbet called Rent Stop. We hire out all the essentials- kettles, toasters, fans, etc. and also things like wheelchairs and crutches. Our speciality is baby equipment. We have cots, sterilisers, buggys, highchairs and more. We charge very reasonable prices and offer free delivery.
Even if theres nothing you need, pop in for a chat - we're always pleased to make new friends.:)
Am I crazy setting up this business? Sometimes I think I might be! Tell me your views, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Jill - rentstopbodrum.com

Navan

Non Active Mmember
Can I ask if there is much demand to hire kettles and why would someone do that?

Anna

merlin

Hi Jill and welcome to the forum!

Niche businesses will always do well in my opinion. Baby equipment as you know is very expensive over here and with a 8 month old I am quite the expert now..... Mothercare in Izmir was a complete joke, when you think of mothercare you tend to think of the big superstores with absolutely everything under one roof.

Not the case in Izmir - the catalogue is English only, (thats a first in Turkey) however, the prices are inflated and then converted into lira. Thats of course IF they have anything in stock.

I think you should do very well and wish you every success.

Merv!

merlin

One thing that would go down well for renting IMO, is those small portable air conditioning units - moreso for any apartments or hotels where tourists book a holiday and there is no air conditioning.

Just so happens that Anna and Canim have a line of these....

Merv!

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Hello Jill,

welcome the the forum, you have a great idea, wish you all the best in your venture.

tricia

Hi Jill, Welcome to the Forum. I would imagine there could be a demand for disabled and baby equipment hire and wish you lots of luck in your new business. You say you will deliver, but how wide an area will you cover - as far as Altinkum?
tricia

merlin

Suppose it depends on the length of hire tricia. A wheelchair to get you home on a Friday night after Barneys, is not really gonna be a viable option for Jill

he he

Merv!

Jenny

Im glad you dont have a shop near Calis! Someone we know was trying to get hold of a wheelchair for laura as she had a broken ankle and was moaning about having to get about on her crutches but thank god they didnt manage to get one, I would have got all hot and bothered having to push a wheel chair around on those dirt tracks in the heat!

Welocme to the forum by the way, you're shop sounds like a great idea!

Jenny.x.

jimm

Navan,your reply had me in hysterics.I bought mine for a fiver.

Navan

Non Active Mmember
Yes Jimm thats why I couldn't understand someone renting one but if there is a demand.......

Anna

Navan

Non Active Mmember
Baby equipment, now thats a different story. Bottle warmers, buggys, cots and other baby related items are always needed on holiday. Good luck in your venture. As with all newly established businesses there is a niggling doubt as to whether you have done the right thing or not but persistence is the key and of course......patience.

Anna

JillyT

Slightly Crazy But Nice
I must admit Navan that kettles aren't our most sought after item. We all know that it is cheap to buy one here, but for a newcomer to Turkey, on a one off stay, our service might be useful to save them finding the large supermarkets, and we do only charge kuruslar!
We have on one occasion even rented out hair straightners believe it or not!
Thanks so much for all your positive comments. It has given us a much needed boost in the middle of a hard-going season. I am so pleased I have found such a friendly forum :D

Hi Jilly
We are flying out and staying S/C in Gumbet as it was easier & cheaper to do this than try for Altinkum this time of year. We have a dublex in Altinkum. We are using the Ayaz Aqua Studios so if we are near we will pop in. We are there around 4th to 18th July.
barry & Sylvia

JillyT

Slightly Crazy But Nice
Hi Barry & Sylvia,

Yes, please do pop in - it would be lovely to meet you in person. You are always very welcome.:)
We are just off bar street, behind Mudurnu Chicken.

Jill - rentstopbodrum.com

steve smith

The Mayor of Gumbet
Hello and Welcome we have a house in Gumbet in the Greenhouse Hotel good luck with the shop we will mention it to any holiday makers and we will post an advert for you no problem we are there for end of July -august what a life eh!!
Are you near to Ozgun the girl who has the Turkish Kitchen Restaurant?
we will pop in for a large Efes or Two.
regards Steve or better know to the locals as the crazy Stiev who got married on a tractor last year!!

JillyT

Slightly Crazy But Nice
Hi Steve,

Tractor!?!?! Sounds even more surreal than my wedding, via a drive-thru Mcdonalds!
Thanks for the encouragement - yes, we are near Ozgun at the Turkish Kitchen, a few doors down, towards Bar Street. Do pop in - would be pleased to meet you.
One question - are you actually staying in the Greenhouse Hotel?

See you later 'crazy' Steve!:D

steve smith

The Mayor of Gumbet
Hi I know where you are I went passed it the other week we are close friends of Ozgun also are house is actually in the private part of the greenhouse complex, coq guzel!!!!

Leigh

Hi, I think your business idea is a great one - I can speak from experience from when I used to rep in Altinkum - many of the apartments that the tour operators used didnt have much equipment - loads didnt have a/c so the portable a/c units would be good. Many only had the real basics - didnt even have toasters, kettles etc the list is endless. If I were you I'd go to see the area managers for the tour operators (First Choice, Thompsons, Holidays4U etc, etc) and let them know what you do and maybe you can advertise on their holiday maps of the area - also you could go to the apartments themselves (in Bodrum, Gumbet and/or the other areas you may cover) and speak to the managers and let them know about your shop. Its all about advertising!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom