bickern

Renault suspended for next GP
Am I reading that right? Because it seems to suggest Renault knew the wheel was loose.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
I wonder....
if it hadn't been for yesterdays accident involving Massa and the death of 18 year old Henry Surtees at Brands hatch in similar circumstances last weekend, that being that he was hit on the head by a wheel leaving a car.
The FIA might not have been so quick and hard hitting with their suspension...
Forgive the pun...

Martyn

Of course but things are a lot more stringent since Sennas death. Did you see the wheel come off, absolutely lethal.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
I did Martyn.. i watch the whole race from start to finish... how the pit team thought he'd get round the track knowing his wheel was not fitted properly, god only knows.
Imagine the finger pointing amongst the 26 of them... (Yeah, 26 of them to refuel and change 4 tyres). if it had been yet another fatal accident. At the end of the day the guy with the lollipop is the one who lets the driver go after each tyre man puts up his hand to show he's completed his task.
The one responsible is thinking to himself.." Oh S**T i cocked it up and i put my hand up, i hope it don't come off..!"
He'll be the one down the dole office tomorrow morning, with that on his CV...
He'd do well at Quick Fit.

Alan.

Martyn

I would like to see a re-run because i think he didn't put his hand up but the lollipop man let Alonso go. Do you remember how many laps there were to go? It's on BBC Iplayer.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Either way Martyn.. we both know that the bloke who changed the wheel will be the one getting the blame... I'd imagine he's already in a Budapest bar drowning his sorrows now watching the same re-run.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Regardless of pit crew culpability, Alonso, knowing his wheel was loose should have pulled over immediately. His lack of care needs a serious punishment, i suggest that banning him for one race is a very minor punishment for such reckless behaviour.

Steve.

bickern

But it is normal for a driver to limp round with a puncture which is what he thought he had.

He also contacted base for advise.

Fendouglas

Gangless!
No, when he was being interviewed afterwards he said he could see the "flange" (the wheel-cover thingy) was loose

bickern

It is rumoured he might take Massas seat with Ferrari for the next race.

I cant see his contract with Renault letting him do that, but who knows.

Thing is if he had not had fuel pump problems he may have still finished in the points.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
You're quite right Bickern, the rumour is in the Spanish press, apparently they claim that by incurring the penalty, Renault broke a basic commitment in his contract that he must be offered a drive in every race of the season... clearly if they serve the ban in Spain that commitment is broken and he could find himself in a Ferrari.
Unless Ferrari find another driver during the 4 week break that they now have until the Spanish GP.

Read here.... FORMULA-ONE - F1: Report Says Alonso May Replace Massa At Valencia - SPEEDtv.com

Alan.

bickern

wow.

"enshrined in Alonso's contract; that the French carmaker must offer the two-time world champion a cockpit at every Grand Prix in 2009. "

Stand up and take a bow that lawyer.

Big bucks will be earned by lawyers if he tries to sit in the Ferrari seat though me thinks.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom