immac

Senior Member Has-Been
REN Numbers?
On UK phones there is a REN number (Ringer Equivalence Number (REN)) that allows you to work out how many phones, faxes, modems etc. you can plug into one line.

Recently, while chatting to a Turkish friend and moaning about the line dropping off, he said that Turkish lines could not support more than one item (phone or other plug-in) on the line - I currently have two phones and the modem; his information came from a TT engineer.

So, is there a Turkish equivalent of the REN number, or is there any truth to my informants advice that instability increases with the number of add-ons?

Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
REN Numbers?
We were told something similar by a Turk Telekom engineer. Apparently our line is only suitable for a modem and 1 phone. When we plug a second phone into an extension the ADSL connection drops if the phones ring but it's fine if we only have 1 phone plugged in.

saffie

Saffie
REN Numbers?
I was told the same as KKOB after I went out and bought new phones for upstairs and downstairs after falling down the stairs in a rush to get to the phone.

If I leave the upstairs phone plugged in,my internet drops straight away. Grrrrrr.:(

saffie

Xerox

BAA - but not sheepish!
REN Numbers?
Make sure your phones are behind a line filter, each phone needs to be.

I have the line come into my house and go through the line filter first, from there it feeds to my modem and to the phone wiring in my house.

I have three phones after this filter without a problem with the phones and rarely see my internet drop out. If you don't want to go down that route you should find that putting a line filter on each phone at the socket should fix the problem.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
REN Numbers?
Yes, I am filtered in all the right places.

Then I am wondering about a "REN Booster", which would fix this in UK, I think. Are they available in Turkey?

Ian

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
REN Numbers?
The ren number is nothing to do with line performance as your line (uk) uses - 50 v for talking and data etc.

The ren number applies to the ringing equivalent number, a ren of 1 means if you had 2 phones at a ren of 0.5 they would ring satisfactorily.

the ringing of your phones is done by applying 80v ac at 25 hz onto your line when you have an incoming call.
The characteristics for loss on ac and dc circuits are different.
if you have 3 phones each with a ren of 1 and they rang ok, then you have a "good line" for ringing
you could still have dc resistance in your line which could impair your data and talk performance.

slow broadband is usually caused by limited bandwidth supplied by your provider, also by poor line quality and distance from the exchange.

my father in law has just changed from sky 8 mb to BT 8 mb, his speed has gone up from 1.5 mb to about 6.4 mb at the same time of day.
he pays slightly more now, you get what you pay for generally

martin

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
REN Numbers?
Thanks for that.

I´m not sure I am complaining about slow ADSL; if the phone rings (or I make a call) while I am on line, I lose my ADSL connection. Also, which probably is to do with the exchange and line, I get frequent incidents of the connection dropping and the reconnecting within a few seconds.

Ian

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
REN Numbers?
hi ian

sounds like you have no filter or the filter is faulty, faulty filters are apparently another major cause of dropout or speed problems, I was a tech officer with bt up until 2000 but i am still in touch with some ex colleagues who moved onto broadband tech. hence the knowledge

martin

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
REN Numbers?
But is there still not the question of what the line will support, in terms of phones, modem etc?
It may be I am looking for one solution in what may be a multi-faceted problem.

Ian

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
REN Numbers?
Bt used to aim for a total REN of between 3 and 4 that is the amount of equipment that will ring normally, they apply 80 v at 25 hz, if you had a REN of 5 it probably wouldnt ring properly ren numbers can be found on the bottom of most equipment in the uk.

it has little if no bearing on your adsl service as that is not transmitted on the 80 v

I would replace my filter or try one a friend uses just to prove it. if you still have no joy then you should contact your provider/s

martin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom