peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Remember Sports mopeds?
I wonder if anybody owned a sports moped in their younger days?

Back in 74 I mithered the life out of my dad to allow me to buy my first step into motorcycling. He eventually agreed and I soon bought a Yamaha FS 1E.
I loved that bike, and my mates and I used to travel for miles on our sporty little mopeds.
I had the fizzy, and my mates bikes were the Honda SS50, and the Garelli tiger cross.
We used to plague car drivers, and its surprising we all survived those days actually.

I'd love to get my hands on an old FS-1E and have a go at restoring it just for old times sake. There are people dedicated to doing it, take a look on Ebay for instance. They can even be seen on Youtube all these years later!

I bought my fizzy for £199 back then, and there are some lovely restored ones around but they command very good prices, if anyone knows where I could lay my hands on a FS-1E in need of restoration I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Remember Sports mopeds?
I've always enjoyed the safety of 4 wheels but my brother had an FS-1E. He dropped it 3 times before he finally got sensible.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Remember Sports mopeds?
Wow only 3 times? .. He must have been a very conservative rider by comparison lol!

I once came off mine and had a box of matches in my pants pocket. You can imagine what happened :(

ukizook

Remember Sports mopeds?
I had the Suzuki AP50, a similer [ but faster] ;) moped to the Fizzy. I had many fond memories of it so I bought the same model a few years ago. Absolute crap, 30 year old and 10 times more expensive than the 1st time round. Nostalgia has a lot to answer for and it has cost me thousands over the years, " I still have 4 old bikes that I just polish and relive memories on" I still ride them all but the modern bikes are better in every way. ;)

Carolyn

Remember Sports mopeds?
I remember a boyfriend of mine had a Fantic (probably spelt that wrong) Chopper moped. Looking back, he looked a bit of a knob with his biker boy fringed leather jacket, long hair and german crash helmet complete with swasticas!

He seemed to look quite cute at the time though!

ukizook

Remember Sports mopeds?
How styles change eh, only a few years ago I wore all the right gear and looked like a power ranger. ;)

McDHibs

Remember Sports mopeds?
I had a Honda MT5 it was restricted but stil good fun

Attachments

• PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 4

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Remember Sports mopeds?
I once came off mine and had a box of matches in my pants pocket. You can imagine what happened :(

Yes I can mate. I've got the scars on my thigh from when I fell over with a dozen rolls of caps in my pocket.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Remember Sports mopeds?
Lol KKOB. It cost me a trip to the doctors with a nylon pocket inner welded to my thigh!
Well Mr Uzicook, I dont recall any AP50's going by me on my Fizzy! .. I cant say the same for the Garelli Tiger Cross though, they were rapid :(

I have spent the day finding fizzy related websites, and now I really want to restore one. If I do eventually get a project off the ground I'll keep updating this thread as I progress. Should be interesting.

These sports mopeds are now considered classic bikes, so to simply buy one fully restored would be more expensive than my wife would appreciate :bounce:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom