Relocation relocation
Hi all,

coming to yalikavak early next week to have a scout round before I move me, the wife and our daughter (2 1/2) out permanently as soon as house is sold in uk. We have, neither of us, been to yalikavak before, but having decided on the bodrum area, have a good feeling that yali. will be right for us. We both know turkey well (wife is from izmit, which is where we are now). We intend to rent for anything up to a year until we feel sure about where to buy/build, we would really appreciate anyones advice regarding where might be the best place for us, places to avoid etc., will we have difficulty finding long term rental, given holiday let situation?

Thanks anyone for anything

Colin, Dilsun and Lola

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Relocation relocation
Anywhere in the Yali area would be a nice place to settle. Just remember that the stunning views mean steep hills to be negotiated. Not good as you get older. Living on the outskirts of town means you would need some form of transport unless you are happy to walk or use the Dolmus system which can be scarce sometimes especially in winter time.
You have made an excellent choice though.

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Relocation relocation
Yalikavak is a great place to settle -- but as Des said -- views equals HILLS and there are some VERY big hills in the area - be careful and take your time to find the right place for you.
Another thing is do remember your daughter will eventually be going to school and you dont want to travel a long way to the village school - so village location is maybe best for you

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Relocation relocation
Thank you, both, for the very sensible advice. What do you think on the rental situ?

Due to the low interest rates, by Turkish standards, then, personally either option would be acceptable. Why not rent first then look around and see if you want to buy. Lots of Foreigners rush in to buy and regret later. Take your time and don,t part with any money until you are happy. Its not like buying in UK, this country can be an absolute nightmare if you get it wrong but please do not be put off its fabulous here once you are settled.

Relocation relocation
Thanks Des,

renting is definitely the plan for the reasons you say. I wondered if I might have trouble finding a year round affordable place to stay, because people will naturally want to maximise their rental incomes during season.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Relocation relocation
Thanks Des,

renting is definitely the plan for the reasons you say. I wondered if I might have trouble finding a year round affordable place to stay, because people will naturally want to maximise their rental incomes during season.

Not necessarily. The way to find out is to put your requirements in the right thread on this forum and get some replies as you undoubtedly will.
TLF people are a helpful and friendly lot and you might get some good responses.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Relocation relocation
TLF when one is hung over........:bounce:
Hung over Des....????

Cant believe we had to get up at 8.30 to let the tilers in.....bad planning on our part

Lots of very good and sound advice on TLF and as everyone will tell you take your time

Good luck and you will love Yali....

Martin & Linsey

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Relocation relocation
I agree too that you have made the right choice to settle in Yalikavak. I think rental, at first would be a good option, and sure there are lots of houses up for long term rental. Like Des and Sue (Luckycat) have said there are lots of hills, we are up in Gumuskaya, and would say that we are probably at the highest point in the area, but the views are stunning over to the Greek Islands, but when we are there we do need a car. I have never, as yet attempted to walk up the very steep hill to our home, I would need an Oxygen Tank on my back, lol, but absolutely love it. Have fun looking around and meeting the Locals, and other nationalities who have made their home there, they are so friendly and helpful. Look forward to your posts on your progress Colin.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Relocation relocation
Hung over Des....????

Cant believe we had to get up at 8.30 to let the tilers in.....bad planning on our part

Lots of very good and sound advice on TLF and as everyone will tell you take your time

Good luck and you will love Yali....

Martin & Linsey

Good BBQ at Ken and Jims today. Jim was in bed though......

ChrisBobs

Relocation relocation
If you are coming next week, you will be able to get around to see what is for rent annually; some people recognise that having reliable tenants who maintain their property are preferable to trying to manage a property for holiday lets. And there is a bit of a difference in the style of house ..but thats up to you.
Also good to see what is wet / damp or not!
Good luck - it is a nice area.

Last edited:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Relocation relocation
If you are coming next week, you will be able to get around to see what is for rent annually; some people recognise that having reliable tenants who maintain their property are preferable to trying to manage a property for holiday lets. And there is a bit of a difference in the style of house ..but thats up to you.
Alos good to see what is wet / damp or not!
Good luck - it is a nice area.

Agreed, the whole peninsula is a lovely area.

Relocation relocation
just booked flight and hotel, be there Monday morning, thanks to all for your help, hope to run into some of you in person some time.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom