sand09

Registering property with municipality for council tax
We have received our Tapu 3 weeks ago and now need to register for the council tax. Unfortunately we are now back in the UK and our solicitor failed to advise us before we left that we had 3 months to do this.
Does anybody know if someone else can do this for us with a POA? Would they need all original documents (Tapu, Dask and passport)?
Also is it true that new built properties are exempt of council tax for the first 5 years? (but I understand that we still have to register the property after receiving the Tapu).
We are planning to go back next year in May. Is it worth risking a small fine and register the property then?
Thank you very much for all your help.

Sorry can not help with question of register for council tax but I am certain that if you do register in may and pay any counciltasx due if they levi a fine it will be very little you may find that you will owe for some of this year once you register.
My advise is ask to pay fot the whole year because payment can be made in 2 halfs.
in answer to your 5 year question there is no time exemption, council tax is due for all years.
I think you may be thinking about capital gains tax there is no charge after 5 years.

lynne

Usually exempt for first year (not 5) and not normally any problem if you register late. They might give a fine but very small amount.

saffie

Saffie
I also thought I didn't need to register a new property for 5 years,but later discovered that I was mistaken.

Some 4 years later I learned that I was indeed liable and took the tapu and copy of passport etc to the local Belediye office and enquired. I was told I was liable to pay and had to back pay what I owed. It wasn't an enormous sum despite being fined for late payment.

Went down in May again this year to keep up to date and was charged a princely sum which I was actually happy to pay since I reckon the local council here do a pretty good job.

sand09

Thank you very much all. I still don't know if we have to do this in person. We are waiting for our solicitor to get back to us.

neutral

Quote,
Thank you very much all. I still don't know if we have to do this in person. We are waiting for our solicitor to get back to us.

Our management company did ours last year

pldouglas

Just a note of caution here. My dearly beloved is in Yali at the moment and popped down to pay out rates - only to be told we also have to pay the rates on the apartment we thought we had sold 2 years ago because the name has not been changed on the tapu! Great, another probem.
Because the property is in our joint names it was actually suggested that I get on a plane to go and sign one bit of paper! Yeah, right!
Hey ho, the joys etc etc etc....

sand09

Neutral, did your management company have a POA in order to do this for you?

neutral

Neutral, did your management company have a POA in order to do this for you?

No

sand09

Thanks neutral. Did you have to leave orginal documents with them or just copies of your Tapu and passport?

neutral

Just copies were left also names of both our parents as well were required.

sand09

Thanks neutral. I will see if our management company will do it for us. Our solicitor wants to charge us £320 to do it!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom