tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Refund of taxes on a cancelled flight
Hi all

I have never had to cancel a flight (yet) but I read a letter on the money 'problem page' in the Daily Mail yesterday, Wednesday 12/8/09, which gave me food for thought and may be of interest to others. I do not know how to do a link so I will type it below. (I think/hope the above credit of the source is sufficient)

"My wife and I intended to fly to Lanzarote on March 19, but unfortunatley had to cancel our booking with Thomas Cook when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I accept these were non-cancellable and thus non-refundable flights, but I do want the airline taxes refunded.

I have emailed Thomas Cook on several occasions, without reply, and when I called customer enquiries I was advised it was not company policy to return airline tax! I am not satisfied with this response."

THE REPLY WAS:
"And nor should you be! Airline tax is not paid to the Government until after the passenger has flown - and you didn't take that flight.

However, airlines have taken it upon themselves to retain this increasingly large proportion of air travel costs, if tickets are cancelled. For all Thomas Cook changed its mind once you said you were contacting the press, the fact remains that, beforehand, it told you, categorically, it's not its policy to return airline tax.

I am specifically including your letter in this week's column to give heart and encouragment to other travellers who are being similarly fobbed off.

In the event on a non-flight, even a non-cancellable one, airline taxes are refundable. A cheque for £84 has been sent to you."

Regards
Carol

babes123

i never new you could claim back the tax if you had to cancel but glad i do now:5: thanks for this info

willip

willip
I seem to remember something about this on the Martin Lewis web page, i will visit the site and see if i can find it Pat

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
I seem to remember something about this on the Martin Lewis web page, i will visit the site and see if i can find it Pat

Please do & let us know. I love Martin Lewis - he is my guru & has saved me loads but I sometimes think he is going to explode when he is talking really fast and Lorraine Kelly & co are trying to get him to wind it up in the last 30 seconds and he is still trying to cram in loads of info and speeds up even more. :hehe:

Re. flights - there is a good tool on his website (moneysavingexpert.com) called Flightchecker (on the right hand side of the home page). You can put in dates & your maximum price range and it searches SOME of the budget airlines (not Easyjet & unfortunately not Turkish destinations apart from Istanbul) so you don't have to trawl through each website seperately. In the past it enabled me to find some of those elusive 1p/£1 Ryanair flights to Spain and Northern Ireland.

Carol

teresa

Free Thinker
This happened to me afew years ago when I booked through a website and later wanted to cancel the flights, I had not realised I could not even change the names and give them to someone - I obviously had not read the small print LOL. The flights were with BA (although booked through a 4U type site).

I rang BA to query this and was told it was correct but they told me that I was entitled to get the tax back. I got a refund of about £60 after a bit of a wait, but if the lady at BA had not told me then I would have been none the wiser.

evie

Recently booked returned flight with KTY airlines to UK. However due to a death in the family I had to cancel return flight. When I queried tax return with travel agent in Fethiye I was given 120 ytl refund (took about 3 weeks to receive the actual cash from them but hey I got it back)

RIK

I am going back some six years ago and my boss had to cancel his flight as we were both going to Switzerland.Without asking ( or knowing ) BA refunded the tax to the credit card used.

Ian

juco

Yes you can get it back if you persist but what many of the airline companies are now doing is charging an admin fee which if not equal to is more than the refund.

evie

when I cancelled my original return flight with KTY london office they told me to claim back taxes when I returned to Fethiye. No hassle with agent just had to wait for them to get refund then they called me and gave me the money

tjd

Yes you can get it back if you persist but what many of the airline companies are now doing is charging an admin fee which if not equal to is more than the refund.

Yep - I have had to cancel 4 tickets with FLYBE and they want to charge £25 each leg of the flight per person Admin charge. So £200 pounds admin charge - absolutely rediculous!! How they can claim the charge is to cover their expense is beyond me.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom