Els

Recommended novel for Turkey lovers
I have just finished reading "Birds without Wings" by Louis de Bernieres. Louis de Bernieres previously became famous with his novel Captain Corelli's mandolin, of which a film was also made.

The story described in this novel takes place in South West Turkey at the beginning of the twentieth century, where christian "Greeks" and muslim "Turks" lived peacefully side by side until war broke out and ethnic cleansing changed everything for ever. Beautifully written novel, with loads of information thrown in about the history of Turkey at that time and the rise of Atatürk in particular. Fantastic read and very informative at the same time!

Harem

I've cliqued
If you get the chance Els, come and visit this beautiful valley and the 'ghost town'.

Martyn

Amazon sell it at a good price

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-without-Wings-Louis-Bernieres/dp/0099478986]Birds without Wings: Amazon.co.uk: Louis De Bernieres: Books[/ame]

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Yes it is a great novel. You find yourself enthralled by the characters and wish they were real because they seem so real.

Yes,I've read the book.When I was in Yalikavak visiting Sandima it creates an impression of what Kayakoy (Eskibahce) would be like.A beautiful book with absolutely desperate chapters highlighting the futility of religious belief
and war..I think a film is being talked about.

Last edited:

Els

Yes, I may well do that Harem. Fascinating area, so rich in history, albeit some of it unfortunately so very sad.

Can't see how a film could do justice to this story. I also found the Corelli's mandolin film a bit disappointing. The book is so much more complex, impossible to get all of that into a film. I think Birds without Wings is one of my all time favourite books, but maybe that is to be expected from a Turkey addict!

Louis de B' is currently working on the screenplay.
Ref Peaceplant's post....Some of those characters were real!

Bubskar

Yes, I may well do that Harem. Fascinating area, so rich in history, albeit some of it unfortunately so very sad.

Can't see how a film could do justice to this story. I also found the Corelli's mandolin film a bit disappointing. The book is so much more complex, impossible to get all of that into a film. I think Birds without Wings is one of my all time favourite books, but maybe that is to be expected from a Turkey addict!

The book much more interesting if you had known the area firsthand. I bought the hardback some years ago as soon as released. Thanks for reminding me, worth a second read. Beautifully written as he always does.

Els

The book much more interesting if you had known the area firsthand. I bought the hardback some years ago as soon as released. Thanks for reminding me, worth a second read. Beautifully written as he always does.

That's very true Bubskar. On the other hand wouldn't you agree that if you visit somewhere armed with some background knowledge it becomes more meaningful and comes to life more than if you know nothing about it?

Enjoy your second read!

ZiaCa'

I've been meaning to buy this book - thanks for the reminder!

Does anyone know if it's available in Turkish and what the title is (not for me...)?

Last edited:

Els

ZiaCa,
Yes it has been translated into Turkish. The title and EAN number are as follows:
Kanatsız Kuşlar
BERNIERES, LOUIS DE
Yayınevi: Altın Tarihi: 11-2004
Dil: Türkçe Türü: Roman Öykü Ean: 9789752105126

It is for sale online by Pandora.com.tr

leylaasena

I loved this book and learnt a lot from it too.

It was the first time I'd heard a lot of the things about Ataturk and his early life.

Also I found it gave a very balanced and unbiased- just factual account of the events of the time.
I was very surprised to find out the writer is a Brit from Sussex with very little personal experience of Turkey and it's culture.

Modgirl

I have'nt read a book in yonk's so I have just ordered this on Amazon and I am looking forward to a few nights away from the lap-top.

Ataturk definitely :)

Well, I know for a fact that Aysanena was real because she was our neighbour and it was me who gave Louis d' B the whole of chapter 92 "I am Aysa". I also gave it to Jeremy Seal and it is in his "Santa- a life". Unfortunatly she died earlier this year.
By the way, Louis d' B insists that the character "Dog" who lived in a rock tomb was entirely from his imagination but about 15 years ago there was a guy living in one of the tombs behind the crusader castle in Fethiye.

ive just downloaded it free from Burgomeister...
thanks to İmmac for posting the link
İ can read it online..or in bed on my lovely Sony E-reader

Latest Posts

Top Bottom