Firebrand

Recommend one place to see in Turkey?
Hi

I hope you don't mind a newbie starting a thread (there seems to be some precedent recently . . .). But there seems to be a lot of knowledge on this forum of different areas of the country, so I was wondering where in Turkey you would recommend a visitor must see before they die type of thing.

I would say Hasankeyf in the south east. We went a couple of years ago, and I thought it was really quite magical. It felt like stepping back many centuries. We had lunch in a cafe that was built on rickity stilts in the River Tigris, while watching the shepherd boy watering his flock on the other bank. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an unspoiled glimpse into what parts of the country still look like.

Mushtaq

Administrator
Looks like a magical place from the picture below;

more pictures and some commentary in this blog here Hasankeyf

EVELYNNE

evelynne
I haven't been there yet , but all my turkish friends always say that you must visit ~Istanbul.

the magical city where East meets west.

So that is the first place on my list .

mariaca

I have been to Hasankeyf as well - and it is really a beautiful and magic place. I would recommend it as well.

I have also been living in Istanbul, and the city is fantastic. They are special places both of them, but in different ways :)
There is a lot more to see in Istanbul though, than it is in Hasankeyf and the surrounding areas.

I would not recommend people travelling all by themselves in the Eastern parts, you will need someone who speak Turkish and someone who knows where to go and not to go.

Peregrine

my first thought was Ephesus

but then theres Istanbul (of course)

and Cappadoccia

and Pamukale

and so many other places besides. Too hard really to pick just one

paddye17

Thanks for a good thread Firebrand. Hasankeyf sounds wonderful - have never been, but will add it to my list.

I'd suggest Arykanda -a real jewel of a place, incredibly atmospheric, quite remote but well worth the trip.

The site’s relative remoteness (a 150-kilometer, three-hour drive from Antalya) means it’s not over-run with tourists and is one of the most worthwhile archaeological sites in Turkey, somewhere you can really appreciate the level of civilization achieved by the Lycians over 2,000 years ago. The setting is stunning – bring a picnic and spend a few hours there, magical.

“Sitting in Arykanda’s perfectly preserved theater on a glorious spring afternoon, with the sun sinking languidly toward the jagged, pine-forested Lycian mountains and soft shadows creeping into the niches, cracks and crevices of the stunning collection of ruins scattered across the hillside below….one of the most beautiful places in Turkey.” Blue Guide to Turkey

Carolyn

my first thought was Ephesus

but then theres Istanbul (of course)

and Cappadoccia

and Pamukale

and so many other places besides. Too hard really to pick just one

I've been to Ephesus, Pamukale and Istanbul.

Although a city girl by birth I have never been anywhere as amazing as Istanbul. Noisy, crazy, beautiful, rich in history and completely mad! Smells of fumes, fresh coffee, new bread and spices. It's like a tapestry and I absolutely loved it.

Ephesus was fantastic too but I would like return but without two teenage daughters grumbling about the heat and the crowds.

Pamukale I enjoyed but probably wouldn't go back - those two daughters have got a lot to answer for coupled with the fact that the trip was combined with our first obligatory visit to a bloody carpet factory!

Cappadoccia is on our definite to do list and I want to visit Konya as I am fascinated by the Mevlana.

Ankara and Izmir are other cities I want to see and one day Van too.

Turkey's such a vast and diverse country. Just like an onion. Peel off the outer layers to find more and more underneath.

Theres a campaign to stop the flooding of Hasankeyf Contenido from the İlisu dam project which will flood the Tigris Valley.

Apart from that Turkey has so many wonders you couldnt see them all in a lifetime.

if you get the chance see Termessos an ancient ruined city in th mountains about 30 kilometers from Antalya.its breathtaking, how they built at that altitude and with such flair is a wonder. İts one place that Alexandra was unable to raze and conquer.

the area between Silifke and Mersin is historical treasure trove full of one discovery after another. Kizkalesi built on an island in the sea. further inland are the caves of Heaven and Hell which must have inspired some of the Greek Myths.
Further on theres Karantepe Arslantaş National Park a lovely park but made special by the Hittite carvings which look as thought they had just been done yesterday instead of over 2000 years ago.
Nemrut Dağ although the climb up is not for me!
Harbiye outside Antakya .the romantic grotto where Anthony married Cleopatra, and also the place of the myth that indirectly sparked the Trojan war (The Judgement of Paris)

Amasya in Northern Anatolia is known for its natural beauty and also the Tombs of the Kings. there is a description of this town by Strabo the ancient Roman historian as he was born there and it doesnt seem to have changed much since he described the place.
Further up is a World Heritage city Safronbolu..ive never been there i hope one day i might be able to.

Last edited:

Firebrand

My favourite place in Istanbul is a tea garden in Gulhane park where you can sit with a samovar of tea and overlook the Bosphorus. You can while away an hour or two just watching the world go by.

Cappadoccia is somewhere that I skipped through about 20 years ago, but know that I need to go back to at a more sedate pace.

I was thinking about this thread last night and the difficulty with recommending places that you haven't been to for a while. I went to the mud baths in Dalyan about 25 years ago, and there was absolutely nothing there. The only other people were an ancient Turkish couple enjoying the hot springs. I took the family a couple of years ago - and it felt like Disneyland! Restaurants, showers, etc

mariaca

I would love to see Cappadoccia as well.
Izmir is a lovely, modern and beatiful city by the sea. I loved it. It`s huge, but not if you compare with Istanbul. I love Istanbul, but I think it`s too big.

I have seen Konya as well - and well, I don`t know. I thought it wasn`t that interesting. There are far more exciting places in Turkey. (But the mevlana is fascinating of course).

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Saklikent gorge, and the local riverside restaurants are pretty cool. also the
" electric road " at Tlos nearby, park up, look at the stream, it appears to be flowing uphill, get in the car release the handbrake in neutral and the car also appears to slowly move uphill. Really cool. Steve.

Optical illusion engendered by the brain mis understanding its visual cues.

Carolyn

Saklikent gorge, and the local riverside restaurants are pretty cool. also the
" electric road " at Tlos nearby, park up, look at the stream, it appears to be flowing uphill, get in the car release the handbrake in neutral and the car also appears to slowly move uphill. Really cool. Steve.

Optical illusion engendered by the brain mis understanding its visual cues.

We'll have to try the Tlos trick - we've been there many times as it's not far from our house so it's often where we go when we want a quick trip out. I love the old amphitheatre and no matter how often we go there I always seem to find a new stone carving or inscription I'd never spotted before.

Saklikent is another favourite. The last time we went we took our daughter and her boyfriend. One of the young boy guides tagged along and at first we were ready to shoo him away but as we got deeper and deeper in he really came into his own. By showing us footholds, making his hands into footholds when there were none and pointing out the best place to climb or squeeze through we went far deeper in than we would have done otherwise. He was well worth the large tip we decided to give when we made our way back out.

Someone told us a little while ago that several of the restaurants by the river have been shut down. Can't remember why and maybe it has been sorted now, presumably with some money changing hands somewhere!

val2661

ISTANBUL is a definite to see. Have visited most 'hip' cities over the last few years with my job, I have only recently visited Istanbul. It has to be one of my favourite cities in the world. It was fantastic and I want to go again. Magical is the word to use to describe it. Still want to see Gallipoli and Troy and of course Cappadocia.

Val

Andyucs

Computer Engineer
Looks like a magical place from the picture below;

more pictures and some commentary in this blog here Hasankeyf

That site is fantastic mushtaq i will look and read the lot

but in answer to the question the place in Turkey i first came to and ended up with a retirement home just on the outskirts of Dalyan

Attachments

• DSCF0384.jpg
    DSCF0384.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom