uller

Re: Interesting Article
Interesting and surprising insight into Turkish thinking ..... article

Turkey’s public opinion seems to favor the European Union as the closest partner in dealing with international matters. This trend is stronger in the 18-24 age group compared to the general population. It is thought that the EU's effectiveness in solving the problems in the world compared to other countries or group of countries would lead to better results for the majority of humanity, and this trend is even stronger in the 18-24 age group.

• When asked about the two most important partner countries of Turkey, 46.1% of the respondents mentioned Azerbaijan, followed by the Russian Federation with 18.6% and Germany with 13.5%.

• When asked about the biggest threat as a country or group of countries against the national interests of Turkey, 60.6% of the respondents mentioned the United States, followed by Israel with 24%, and the Russian Federation with 19%.

• When asked about the two most important roles Turkey could play in the world, 65.9% of the respondents preferred Turkey to be an economically developed country while 38.8% preferred a politically strong country, and 30.6% preferred a country influential in military issues.

• When asked about which country or group of countries Turkey should cooperate most closelywith concerning international issues, 37% of the respondents replied with EU countries whereas 14.7% preferred the Russian Federation. 15.9% of the respondents wanted Turkey to act alone followed by 9.1% preferring the United States and 6.5% preferring China.
    • It was observed that acting with the EU countries on international problems was explicitly preferred more by the respondents of 18-24 age group. 42% of respondents in this age group wanted to cooperate most closely with the EU countries, followed by the Russian Federation with 14.3%, 12.2% with the United States, and only 5.5% with China.
  • When asked about which country or group of countries should have a say in solving the problems of the world for the sake of better results for the majority of humanity,35.8% of respondents replied with the EU, 12.9% with the United States, 10.5% with Russia, and 8.2% with China.
    • It was observed that the respondents in the age group of 18-24 were more inclined to expect better results for the majority of humanity if the EU was more influential in solving the problems of the world. 42.1% of the respondents in the age group of 18-24 preferred EU countries, 14.9% preferred the United States, 10.5% Russia, and 6.8% China.

• 38.2% of respondents wanted Turkey to play a more active role in the Middle East, Balkan
  • 55.9% of the respondents believed that Turkey’s EU membership would be a good thing whereas 24.9% thought it would be a bad thing.
    • The tendency of thinking about EU membership as a good thing is explicitly stronger in the age group of 18-24. 66.2% of the respondents in this age group believed that Turkey’s EU membership would be good whereas 16.2% thought it would be bad.
  • 60.1% of the respondents stated that they would vote “Yes” if there were a referendum on Turkey’s full membership to the EU this Sunday. 29.7% of the respondents stated that they would vote “No”.
    • The tendency to vote “Yes” in a possible referendum on Turkey’s EU membership is explicitly stronger in the age group of 18-24. 68.8% of the respondents in this age group stated that they would vote “Yes” whereas 21.3% preferred to vote “No” in such a referendum.
  • When asked about the timing of Turkey’s accession to EU, 12.9% of the respondents replied with in five years, 17.1% with in ten years and 19.2% with in longer than fifteen years. 39.7% of the respondents believed that Turkey would never become a member country of the EU.
  • 56.7% of the respondents thought that EU membership would bear personal benefits whereas 36.8% thought that there would be no personal benefits of EU membership.
    • 67.2% of the respondents in the age group of 18-24 believed that Turkey’s EU membership would bear personal benefits whereas 26.4% thought that there would be no personal benefits of EU membership.

2 more interesting pages ...

The attitudes toward Russia are interesting — 18.6% see Russia as an important partner, while 19% see it as a threat. Any explanations?

Camden

The attitudes toward Russia are interesting — 18.6% see Russia as an important partner, while 19% see it as a threat. Any explanations?

I would imagine the near equal percentages encapsulates the relationship .... influenced possibly by the Turkish media tv and also home politics .

Why Important partner : Turks reading or watching can see Trade is the driving force , in all important Turkish Russian relations, with both ranking high in each others rankings in trade.

Also possibly with Turkey now seeking a more independent line in the world see Russia as a foil to a country which historically has interfered in its politics for Geopolitical gain the US and has dalliances with and support for the Kurds and allegedly Feto .

One that falls between the two both important and threat is energy. Energy needy Turkey relies in part on Russian Energy, but also sees its own reliance as a threat ... plus Turks see Russian displeasure Turkey giving a bypass Russia outlet across Turkey for the normally Russian influenced Central Asian energy states giving them an independence they didn't have before. .

Why Seen as a Threat : Apart from in History having gone to war at least 12 times in centuries past. Again Turks read or watch ... the opposing foreign policy views, between the two countries stretching from North Africa to the Middle East the Caucasus and beyond to the Central Asian states due to their respective leaders adventurism and need to Influence. In areas like the Ukraine (tartar Crimea ) Nagorno-Karabakh ( Armenia vs Azerbaijan ) Syria , Libya, and Russia's own like the US occasional dalliance with separatist Kurds .

Turks have seen and read what may be viewed as a threat with the near open conflict at times but through Proxies ... with Turkish Proxies attacked by Russian Proxies and vis a vis in both Syria and Libya.

I am sure their is other reasons but these were the ones that came to mind....

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
George Best played on the biggest stages - against star-studded teams for Northern Ireland and Manchester United, scoring in a famous European Cup final triumph.

Barry Fry was the man who took him to Dunstable Town - a side who were getting crowds of 34 and 43.

enoch

George Best played on the biggest stages - against star-studded teams for Northern Ireland and Manchester United, scoring in a famous European Cup final triumph.

Barry Fry was the man who took him to Dunstable Town - a side who were getting crowds of 34 and 43.
I've never been a football fan as such, but I have to say Best was an artist on field.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Best was God like when I was a child, I cycled to his toilet block house at Woodford with a mate when I was 8 or 9, he wasn't there but an e type sat on the drive so I guess he was in wetherspoons, my mum battered me when I got back and told her, I could have been killed on the road or murdered by bogeymen she said.
Even when he was on the down I supported him although I can never forgive him for playing for Stockport County, he must have been at serious low at that time, he died on my birthday but I forgive him for that. The king is dead.

Last edited:

enoch

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Chimes well with the thread on 'poor asylum seekers', doesn't it.
Absolutely, I knew the answer to my question as to why they don't go to the Middle East before I posted it. I just wanted to draw attention to the situation.

enoch

Why do we issue 'domestic helpers' visas? Why can't they pay the going rate, for an 8 hour day, and employ UK citizens to work normal hours and pay tax?
I've known domestic helpers up our end. Work for the top men a sellefield for about £5 for cleaning and ironing.

Camden

Economic slide sends support for Erdogan to all-time low

President’s construction spree sparks dissent, even in his ancestral stronghold

in English possible paywall but not always ..

Erdogan analysis from Financial Times: Economic downturn brings support to lowest level

The British Financial Times newspaper reporter went to İkizdere and felt the pulse of the people

in Turkish free

Camden

Rudy Giuliani is being scrutinized for foreign lobbying. He may have been one of many in the Trump White House.

Foreign agents reported being paid more than $30.5 million to influence U.S. policy or public opinion on behalf of Turkish interests during the Trump administration. An inquiry the Justice Department has reportedly launched an inquiry into Rudy Giuliani may reveal even more undisclosed lobbying.

The DOJ reportedly launched the inquiry last week over alleged efforts Giuliani made to lobby former President Donald Trump on behalf of Turkish interests.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom