immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Rays
Rays - Youtube

Out on the boat Saturday morning and came across a shoal (not sure of collective noun) of Rays in Gulf of Fethiye. At least 6, but probably more. "Wing" span over 2 mtrs. Gliding just under the surface seemingly feeding in the sunlit water. At first, from a distance, looked like fins of dolphins breaking the surface, but these were the wing tips. Got right over them as they swam under the boat. Stayed with them for 15 minutes.

Not sure of type, but black bar across the head and dark body with long tails and extensions each side of the mouth.

Is this common behaviour? What type of Ray is this?

Ian

Last edited:

ExG

Rays
Very nice.

The collective name for a group of rays is school.

Without seeing a photo it's very hard to say what species they were.

You could try typing Myliobatidae into the images on google and see if you can spot the ones you saw.

Wish I'd been there
Eliot

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Rays
Would love to see it, is it possible to put it on Youtube then post the link here

Thanks

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
Rays
Thats amazing, thanks very much for posting the video.

We have sailed around the Turkish coast line for many years and never had a sighting of these:19:

Well done!

saffie

Saffie
Rays
Oh WOW!!! How lucky to have seen these beautiful rays.

Thank you so much for sharing the video.........I've sent it to all my friends!!

Stunning.

saffie

stuart

stuart
Rays
fantastic ....you are very lucky, have been fishing out of fethiye for many years now but never seen anything like that.

ExG

Rays
What an amazing video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEP5eB2-Dxc]Giant rays in Fethiye bay - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for sharing it with everyone

Eliot

teosgirl

Rays
Beautiful, lucky you.

We have a local dive site called rayville, but unfortunately there aren't many/any rays there nowadays. I've never seen one in it's natural habitat - so jealous!

Thanks for sharing,

Charlotte

Brendab

Rays
Hi guys,
Showed this post to my husband who commented

"The ray that killed Irwin was a sting ray and he was aggrevated. From my knowledge as a diver they look to me like juvenile Mantas, which are plankton eaters so no danger, they are feeding off the plankton bloom, little is known re the breeding / migration of theses majestic beasts so who knows , have seen them many times but not in med so could be wrong"

Regards
Brenda

Latest Posts

Top Bottom