Rapes in Altinkum
my heart goes out to the two girls raped in altinkum and the third one who was assulted. Im glad they have caught two of the b...... who did it and hope the third one is caught soon , I Think he has escaped to Izmir were the car used was rented according to voices newspaper.I hope they get put away for a very long time so women of altinkum can rest easy:27:

Last edited by a moderator:

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Rapes in Altinkum
Re: rapei in altinkum

I read about this today in Hurriyet on page 3 (or rather him indoors translated it for me)

It was reported that the two youths arrested were released, citing that they were "underage"..

I truly hope this does not send out a message that it's acceptable to beat and rape (as alleged) foreign tourists in the area, or any female for that matter (well if you're too young for prosecution, that is).

Last edited:

teosgirl

Rapes in Altinkum
sasa,

The voices newspaper is reporting that the two boys, aged 16, were released to their homes on bail, while the investigation continues.

It's a shocking case and one the Turkish authorities will have to get right. I haven't been to altinkum but there seems to be a lot of violent crime against expats there.

I hope the girls recover from their injuries and in time I'm sure they'll recover from the terrible trauma too. It must be like a nightmare for them and their loved ones. They have my deepest sympathy.

Unfortunately this is a lesson for other young girls to learn. We're always telling our kids to stay away from strangers, and not get into cars with people they don't know, why they think it's safe to do so in a foreign country is beyond me. I'm sure this will be a wakeup call for some.

Susan T

Rapes in Altinkum
It was reported that the two youths arrested were released, citing that they were "underage"..

I have just read this thread and had to post a reply because, if this report is true, then I really think that the Turkish Authorities have to seriously consider the message they would be sending out, not only to tourists or residents but to the young people of Turkey. It will NEVER be acceptable to use age as an excuse for such abhorent behaviour, if they go unpunished then it is a crime against humanity. Yes, it is aledged, as always is the case until something is proven but if this case is never brought to trial because of the perpetrators age, the details may never come to light and that would be an injustice, not only to those girls ( and my thoughts are with them ) but to all women who may suffer severe emotional & psycological trauma for the rest of their lives because of the abuse they have been subjected to. It would also, I believe, deter others from reporting such dispicable incidents as there would be a total lack of faith in any justice actually being done......this is not the correct message to be sending out to anyone!
Why am I so infuriated by this subject that I am writing this, having just returned from Altinkum 2hrs ago ..... because, in the past few months there, I have been assaulted at a Dolmus Stop ( at 5 o'clock in the afternoon ) been abducted on a scooter ( also in broad daylight ) and taken a taxi ( yes, you've guessed it - during the day ) asked where I was from and then told that Oh ' all British women like Jigi Jigi ' . Did I report these incidents ? No .... much to my regret, I did not, because unfortunately, even before this latest incident, my faith in the Turkish Legal system is zilch !!!
I love & respect a lot of the Turkish culture and I am actually Muslim myself (so perhaps have a better understanding than most) but I struggle to understand the mentality in Altinkum. My crime, it seems,is to be too friendly, to smile too much , to trust too much, will I change ? NO ... because once you have to change your personality to survive somewhere, then that is a price too much to pay ....so I will sadly sell my home there because, unless & until, the local authorites in Altinkum act to 'stop the rot' it is not going to be a place where anyone wants to travel to, or live in, for many years to come.
I seem to have rambled on, but before I go, one thought ! ... why would the third person accused be on the run if he is not guilty of any crime ?, perhaps he knows that because of his age he would be prosecuted. Also, if the victims had been Turkish girls, would 'underage' even come into the equasion?
I wonder whether anyone could enlighten us with regards to this question.

I sincerely hope that justice will be done.......

Yes..... I have had my wake up call !!!

Last edited:

Ian

Rapes in Altinkum
Re: rapei in altinkum

I read about this today in Hurriyet on page 3 (or rather him indoors translated it for me)

I truly hope this does not send out a message that it's acceptable to beat and rape (as alleged) foreign tourists in the area, or any female for that matter (well if you're too young for prosecution, that is).

Doesn't mention anywhere on voices that they were released as being underage.

Susan T

Rapes in Altinkum
No .... that's true Ian, but Voices only publishes once a week and has strict deadlines. Hurriyets information may be more up to date ...

hachris

Rapes in Altinkum
But Voices are saying also that

"A third man, identified only as E.Ü., and aged 29, is still being hunted....

.... Police confirmed that the third suspect had taken the car that the attacks took place back to a rental company in İzmir and is still on the run."

So at least he is not "underage" - so let us hope that he will be taken "care of" quickly!

Unfortunately it does not happen only in Turkey that suspects are released after committing such crime – it happens here in Norway as well.

teosgirl

Rapes in Altinkum
I found a link to this story on the mirror UK website. I would post a link but I'm not allowed to yet.

It also states the boys were released on bail, and that the 3 girls involved have declined consular assistance.

The foreign office have stated they are in touch with local authorities who are investigating the claims.

Rapes in Altinkum
Susan, don't assume too much. There are probably more Muslims reading this Forum than you realise. I take it you're a convert if your name is Susan? I'm a Muslim too but don't pretend to understand everything about the culture or the way some people interpret Islam. And by the way, these crimes (or alleged crimes if they've not been convicted yet) have nothing to do with religion. It is just the sad tendency of modern society towards violence and lack of respect.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Rapes in Altinkum
...ok, i need to get hubby to re-read the article in Hurriyet & see if he has mis-translated cos if he has, that's a major part of the story he became mixed up upon & as mentioned by myself & by others on here-can potentially send out the wrong message to others.

So apologies for any possible misunderstanding regarding this-i'll give him indoors a slap!!

Susan T...my heart goes out to you regarding your terrible experiences & unfortunately i hear more & more of these kind of incidents here in Antalya. It shouldn't matter whether one is travelling around day or night but there's an all too common mindset that foreign women (whether Turkish residents or tourists) are fair game.

Susan T

Rapes in Altinkum
It seems as if my comments have been taken as an attack on the muslim religion and if that is the case then I apologise. Religion is a very emotive subject and I am well aware that there will be many readers and contributors of different faiths and nationalities on this Forum. Just because someone does not agree with certain aspects of a culture or may question the legal system of a particular country does not make them anti ANY religion.

I do not believe that these aledged attacks ( and I did say aledged in my post ) were anything to do with religion. As Sasa has already commented it is the mindset which seems to prevail that foreign women are fair game that I feel uncomfortable with and the lack of faith in the Turkish legal system when it comes to the protection of foreign citizens that I find so fustrating. I love Turkey and have many Turkish friends there, it's just that I do not feel safe living alone in Altinkum that has prompted my decision to leave.

teosgirl

Rapes in Altinkum
susan T,

Please don't take this the wrong way. I feel terrible for you that you've had to endure months of stress and personal attack, I completely understand your reasons for returning.

I think what some members were commenting on was the fact that you said being a muslim yourself may have given you a better understanding of the situation.
The problem with this comment is that it infers Islam teaches Turkish men to view foreign women as disposable objects, and that's not the case. Being Muslim really doesn't have anything to do with the mindset of those types of people. It's more to do with cultural traditions and class *in some circumstances*, certainly not religion.

I hope things go well for you back home,

Charlotte

abla

Rapes in Altinkum
Istanbul ex pat i agree
there are sapiks all over the world.Unfortunatly
regardless of race or creed.

Stephen

Scotty
Rapes in Altinkum
I love & respect a lot of the Turkish culture and I am actually Muslim myself (so perhaps have a better understanding than most) but I struggle to understand the mentality in Altinkum.

I have read the posts by Susan and find it quite strange how different people can interpret what people are actually saying. I believe that what she is saying is that, understanding the culture more than most, she struggles to understand the mentality in Altinukum because it is not just cultural. Perhaps her mistake is to have used the word 'but' rather than 'therefore' I struggle to understand the mentality.....
Unfortunately, anyone that spends any amount of time in Altinkum will have heard many stories like hers and be aware that there does seem to be a mentality which does show a lack of respect towards foreign women amongst many of the men there. I'm sorry if many of the readers do not like this comment but sadly it seems to be a view held by many. My wife has visited alone there this year but would not do so again as she felt so uncomfortable.

I personally, do not read into her comments what other readers seem to have done and am sadened that someone having suffered a bad experience may be vilified for making a comment which may have been taken to infer something it does not.

Last edited:

Janice McAndrew

Northernlass1959
Rapes in Altinkum
My heart goes out to these girls and also Susan but........although we are reading about this in Voices we could be reading about these aledged attacks from any corner of the world including the UK.

I have been fortunate to travel to quite a few countries and even live in few but "Men behaving badly" (for want of a better term) is not exclusive to Altinkum nor Turkey.

Jan

Gail

Rapes in Altinkum
My heart goes out to these girls and also Susan but........although we are reading about this in Voices we could be reading about these aledged attacks from any corner of the world including the UK.

I have been fortunate to travel to quite a few countries and even live in few but "Men behaving badly" (for want of a better term) is not exclusive to Altinkum nor Turkey.

Jan

Janice I don't think anybody is saying it's exclusive to Turkey. Nearly everytime someone reports something dreadful happening in Turkey we get members telling us the same thing, it could happen anywhere in the world! We know it happens everywhere but this attack was in Altinkum and it was disgusting. Sorry if I sound harsh as you have stated your heart goes out to these girls as does mine.

I felt I had to bring and this up and what I am going to say is not aimed at you Janice but sometimes when you hear of robberies, attacks etc, it's as if members are saying, "it's not as bad as you may think, worse things happen in other places". Well bad things happen in Turkey, very bad things and we need to face up to these facts and hope that the Turkish judicial system works!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom