zozatky

Rahane???
Can anyone identify & tell us more about this plant. We have been told you use it in soups & bulgar. thanks

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 39
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 35

kaplumba

Rahane???
I think you mean Reyhan, in English it's Basil. You add it to your cooking at the last minute. It grows well in Turkey. I put a tiny piece in a pot and within weeks it had grown a lot.

Rahane???
If that plant is reyhan, its not a healthy one.
Its bolted by the looks of things.
The top part looks very much like what Turks call Adı Çayı. They infuse it in hot water and believe its good for the digestion.

Soo x

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Rahane???
This is what a healthy reyhan plant should look like.

reyhan1.jpg

zozatky

Rahane???
Thanks folks I think you are right its gone to seed due to the time of year . our komsu must have mist that spelling class. Its also known in Turkish as Feslegen..

Last edited:
Rahane???
Fesleğen is normally a small quite compact bushy plant with much smaller leaves. Often it is in small pots on tables or in tubs near entrances of restaurants, on boats etc.
Turkish people believe it keeps mosquitoes away.
The taste from this fesleğen plant can be quite bitter so is not usually used for cooking.

The seeds from your reyhan plant can be collected and used for next year.

Soo x

Rahane???
It's not used much in Turkish cooking but basil / feslegen can be found in Bodrum area. I've bought living plants from Bodrum market for 50 kurus, though they aren't so healthy and they are meant to be used fresh rather than potted in the garden. If anyone knows where I can get good sized, healthy basil plants in Bodrum area would appreaciate the heads up.

Neil

zozatky

Rahane???
I can now see the difference between the two our komsu dry the Reyhan to use in soups & the Feslegen fresh in salads thanks.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom