Guz1

Radon Gas
:confused: Am I the only house owner concerned about Radon Gas in Turkish houses? After visits to Radon Thermal and Natur Med in Davutlar, I came home boasting about the the low cost thermal resorts in Turkey. Shortly afterwards I was listening to a radio programme where they were warning people of the danger of a build up of radon gas in Irish homes and advising people in high risk areas to have their homes tested. Talk about bursting your bubble!! Since then I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to find out if there is a testing/remedial service in Turkey. Can anyone on the forum through some light on this?
The URL of the Irish Government's site explaining about this problem is http://www.rpii.ie. Follow the link to the Radon section and you'll understand my concerns.

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Radon Gas
I had my house in UK tested by the British equivalent. They sent a few plastic cases the size of a matchbox, which I had to place around the house and leave them alone for a number of weeks. I sent them back and a few weeks later the result (no problem) came back. At that time I seem to remember it was free as they were making an effort to 'map' the country hot-spots, but I think there is a charge now.

It was useful when selling my house as I was in a high risk area and could prove there was no problem. On the other hand, had the test shown I had a problem, it would have to be declared to any potential buyer and could easily stop a sale.

Not especially relevant to Turkey, but thought you would like to know what is involved!

Ian

jcrian

Radon Gas
All new build houses in the UK have to have radon gas protection built into the foundations and slab.We needed just basic radon protection which is a DPM that covers the whole base of the house including the cavity.

Supposed to stop the risk of catching cancer and I don't know what happens if you step outside the house! :crazy:

Guz1

Radon Gas
Thanks, Ian. They do the same kind of test here, but I don't live in a high risk area. I'm trying to find out if they have a similar testing system in Turkey, because it seems to be easy enough to sort out the problem where it exists. I'm worried, though, that because these resorts are considered an advantage to Turkish tourism the authorities might not be aware of the hazards involved or, worse, might be unwilling to address the the issue. One post from a new member on this forum refers to having the thermal water in a hot spring on the housing estate. It seemed to be a selling point for the houses. Even at the thermal resort, we were advised not to spend too long in the pool. I know that the gas evaporates in the atmosphere so is not a problem outdoors but it is inside the house that concerns me. For example, if the gas is present in the tap water, does that mean we are inhaling it when we take a hot shower? Guzelcamli is not far from Davutlar, so we must be in a high risk area. In fact, I read somewhere that areas rich in granite are likely to be high risk, and granite seems to be readily available throughout Turkey. Do you know if there is a Turkish equivalent of the Department of the Environment?

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Radon Gas
Guz1 said:
Do you know if there is a Turkish equivalent of the Department of the Environment?
This web site lists all govenment depts. Many have English language sections.

http://www.gksoft.com/govt/en/tr.html

Also, First Alert make a home Radon Gas alarm - have a look on ebay they are not expensive.

Ian

Last edited:

Guz1

Radon Gas
Thanks again, Ian. I have just sent an email to what I hope is the Izmir Branch of Turkey's Environment Department. I'm sure it will at least be after Bayram before I receive a reply, so meanwhile I'll try ebay.
Maria

Latest Posts

Top Bottom