haybags

Quiet season
Hi just wondered if anyone will agree with my fiance that it seems very quiet so far in Bodrum.He seems to feel that there are not as many tourists around as this time last year.could this be a result of the credit crunch? he also noted that some of the hotels have not been able to pay the staff yet ! and that in one hotel the security staff had not been paid for six months!! is this the sign of things to come or is it just a blip?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill & Linda

Senior Members
Quiet season
Hi just wondered if anyone will agree with my fiance that it seems very quiet so far in Bodrum.He seems to feel that there are not as many tourists around as this time last year.could this be a result of the credit crunch? he also noted that some of the hotels have not been able to pay the staff yet ! and that in one hotel the security staff had not been paid for six months!! is this the sign of things to come or is it just a blip?

Here in Altinkum it is the same very very quiet!! i feel realy sorry for all the bars and shops they cannot do a thing, if the people are not there what can they do? i thought this year Turkey was going to do really well (or so the papers said) one of our friends who has a large restaurant here in Altinkum said that this year so far is a disaster!! :noidea:

Quiet season
I think Bodrum has been getting steadily quieter over the last 3 seasons and expect it to be fairly quiet this year too.
Some businesses got quite excited when the cruise ships started to come and did the typical putting their prices up to catch the one day tourists - not great because so many extended holidayers won't us ethem on the other days now.
I have friends in Bodrum who were not paid fully for their summer work last year...it's terrible since many are from the East, supporting families and living on minimum wage themselves.
Bodrum is an expensive resort when compares to other coastal towns like Marmaris and Kusadasi I think and it was inevitable that the tide would take tourists away. I read on here about boat trips on the peninsula that are 50 TL, when I first came to Turkey they were 15/20 TL...everything is so expensive now and the pound does not get as much TL as it used to!
I think Bodrum will have to look at what it has to offer or it will price itself out of the tourism that keeps it going now

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Quiet season
I'm hearing the same about Fethiye and surrounding tourist areas - very quiet.

Ian

lilacdiana

lilacdiana
Quiet season
My daughters have just come back from Bodrum and met up with a lady in Bitez whom we have become friendly with. She said that there seems to be very few Dutch people coming over this year and it is very quiet in Bitez. I hope it picks up soon for everyones sake!

topcat

topcat
Quiet season
Yes we came back a week ago and it is very quiet in Bodrum, Gumbet and Bitez.

A lot of it is to do with the all inclusive hotels as people do not move out of these hotels. Also people do not have the money this year even though our plane was full going out and returning.

I hope it does improve for the bar and restaurants and look forward to coming out again in about 3 to 4 months time. Really miss not being there.

pldouglas

Quiet season
On the other hand, here on the south coast of GB, we have friends who have a large caravan park and who buy and sell big static mobile homes, and they are having a fantastic year, better than for the previous 10 years. Also, we are finding it increasinly difficult to find a caravan park which is not booked up when we go away in our motorhome. We are due to go to Cambridge for a few days at the end of June and I had to phone 6 sites before I found one with mid-week space. Where we live here on the coast is traditionally a holiday area and not only are we seeing hundreds of British holidaymakers again, the europeans are also back in thier droves. So I guess its sad for Turkey and many other holiday destinations but nice for our own holiday industry to get a bit of a boom.

Bill & Linda

Senior Members
Quiet season
On the other hand, here on the south coast of GB, we have friends who have a large caravan park and who buy and sell big static mobile homes, and they are having a fantastic year, better than for the previous 10 years. Also, we are finding it increasinly difficult to find a caravan park which is not booked up when we go away in our motorhome. We are due to go to Cambridge for a few days at the end of June and I had to phone 6 sites before I found one with mid-week space. Where we live here on the coast is traditionally a holiday area and not only are we seeing hundreds of British holidaymakers again, the europeans are also back in thier droves. So I guess its sad for Turkey and many other holiday destinations but nice for our own holiday industry to get a bit of a boom.

Cant argue with that!!

murphy36

Quiet season
Hi
It has been a quiet season in Alanya so far, also last year.We live near the East coast in the Uk and the resorts have been busy so far . I think it may be result of credit runch and rising prices in Turkey.

Quiet season
I would agree with that Stella.
We have made a few trips to the coast,i.e Eastbourne,Brighton etc this year so far and the places are heaving with tourists and visitors.
I think with the credit crunch biting so hard in the UK,people are worried about their jobs and just havent got the money to spend on expensive flights. They will spend £50 in petrol to go to a resort as a family but not £1200 odd for flights.
If my business customers are a good judge then NOBODY has any spare cash for holidays etc this year.
There has also been a lot of publicity re long range weather forecasts in the UK indicating a long hot summer which has had an effect.
If those people are missing you are just left with the 2nd home owners like us but they will probably eat and drink mainly in their property to economise too.
The holiday companies were flogging Turkey to death in January as outside the euro zone so I am surprised its not better this year.
We have reduced our holiday time to just one trip of 2.5 weeks this year as opposed to 2 trips so perhaps many are doing the same.
I expect the peak July/August will be manic as always which will boost things and cheer everybody up!! Lets hope so anyway.

Turkey is a beautiful country that deserves a break after Bird Flu,World Cup,Litter Bin bombs, Flight costs and now the Credit Crunch!!

Last edited:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Quiet season
I too was hoping that Turkey would do well this year, esp with the drop in the Euro, but flights are so expensive right now if you haven't booked well in advance, you're looking at £300+ pp, for a return flight in July/Aug. We live in Thornton, about 6 miles out of Blackpool, and it is heaving, and school holidays not started yet, I agree with other posters that money this year is so tight for everyone. We do love to go into Yalikavak for a few bevvies and our meal, but because we're going out more often we are leaning towards cooking at home and just going down for the social and drinks. There are so many places to go, I just hope that the tourists will use them to keep them open, but All Inc doesn't help the situation.

kaplumba

Quiet season
I hope it picks up for the rest of the summer. I'm spending 5 weeks there this summer and have packed friends off to my house free of charge this week. I still love going there, however we are more careful over how much we spend and where these days. We don't eat out as often as many of the restaurants are more expensive than in UK now. I don't shop for things like I used to - ripped off too many times to be bothered now! We shop around for transfers and other needs. We had a week in Egypt recently and my goodness they can show the others how to do it. Service was amazing and prices very reasonable and cheaper than Turkey. We have also had a few UK short breaks. Those in the tourist trade in Cornwall seem to have got their act together. Cafes and pubs are offering great food at good prices and the resorts are clean and tidy with all sorts of fun things going on for families.

red

Quiet season
No matter what the weather forecast I would never book a holiday in the UK, the weather is just too unpredicatable. One of our resaons for buying a holiday home was to reduce the cost of staying in quality accomodation. In the past taking three children away for a two week break cost a fortune as most package holidays cater for two children. We hate cheap hotels so it would all add up due to supplements and costs for big rooms etc.

We will economise to a degree this year - how much -depends on how competative restaurants and bars are. The cost of taxi's is one of the reasons we limit nights out in Yalikavak, plus there isn't a lot to entertain the kids. Turgetries seems to offer more for the kids and it has better public transport home, well it did before they moved the boundry for the last stop.

Like others we have found ourselves cooking and socilaising at home as we have great neighbours, in easter we took it in turns to cook with each takeing over side dishes etc and alcohol. The kids like it as they can play with each other and we know they are safe. Maybe businesses in resorts should look at their pricing structures rather then think of us as money machines.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Quiet season
You can't say they didn't have it coming to them. It's a shame for the honest ones but getting screwed over as bad as tourists do here I don't blame them for not coming back, I know I wouldn't .

Biker Bob

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Quiet season
try turkish airlines they are about £260 for that period - beginning to sound like an agent for them !!!

martin

kaplumba

Quiet season
Red, like you one of our reasons for buying our house in Turkey was to have good quality holidays without the cost of a hotel. However this year I am questioning that. We recently had a holiday in our home in Turkey followed by a package tour trip to Egypt. It was a beautiful, luxurious hotel on a lovely beach with lush gardens. Food was good and plentiful, we ate and drank in the bar every day. It was quite surprising to find that our very nice package holiday was actually much cheaper than our trip to our holiday home. I enjoyed both holidays equally and the standard of comfort and luxury was similar but cosidering the flight to Egypt is further and we had to pay for accommodation I was so surprised in the difference in costs and we are talking at least couple of hundred pounds. The whole package was the same price as our flights and transfer to Turkey.

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
Quiet season
I am not surprised, but find it very sad. Last year in Altinkum I found the cost of eating out had risen considerably, and in fact when I spent a week in Cornwall last July it was far cheaper to eat there than Altinkum, which at one time would have been unheard of. Also a package holiday with Thomas Cook last year was £282. when I last looked at this, the cost for this year is £597.!!!!!! The way it is at the moment, there is no way I can afford to go this year.

pldouglas

Quiet season
Its odd this credit crunch thingy. We have a Kitchen Fitting company and are stacked with work way into September now, and I have just been talking to the guy who owns a local garden centre and he's worried about not having enough stock to satisfy the increase in customers. Its almost as if people are staying home and improving (and hopefully enjoying) what they have instead of charging off all round the world spending loads of dosh. My dearly beloved is off to our place in Yali for 3 weeks in July (too hot for me) but we probably won't bother to go again this year because we have discovered we can have more fun in our new motorhome either in UK or on the continent than standing waiting at Gatwick for another expensive and uncomfortable flight.
Prices have certainly risen pretty dramatically in the Bodrum area over the past few years. We can eat out in our local pretty country pub for about £8 per head, all fantastic home cooked food and loads of it with lots of vegetarian options. I'm a bit out of touch with Yali restaurant prices now, but I would hazard a guess that they are no cheaper - with little or no veggie option if you can't face another pitza!
It was about time some of our UK holiday destinations got thier act together, but if they play thier cards right they could have a bumper year.
I guess at the end of the day, if there are X amount of tourists then some destinations will loose and others will win depending on value for money and comfort. Me, I'm happy to sling the wellies (very stylish ones of course) into the motorhome and head off into the blue yonder!

ukizook

Quiet season
It's been quiet for the last 4 years. The Bird flu one year, the world cup the next, now it's supposedly the credit crunch?. Every year there seems to be an excuse but the real reason is that tourist no longer like to be seen as the golden cash cow. Most [not all] Turks seem to think the Euro tourist are all millionares ready to be milked, this leads to over inflated prices, or the even worse case of two tier prices [them and us].
We love Turkey but the Turks shoot themselves in the foot by chasing the quick profit.
Berore I get lambasted, yes I know there are very honest, fair and hard working Turks and it maybe only a small %age that spoils it for the rest. ;(

red

Quiet season
Red, like you one of our reasons for buying our house in Turkey was to have good quality holidays without the cost of a hotel. However this year I am questioning that. We recently had a holiday in our home in Turkey followed by a package tour trip to Egypt. It was a beautiful, luxurious hotel on a lovely beach with lush gardens. Food was good and plentiful, we ate and drank in the bar every day. It was quite surprising to find that our very nice package holiday was actually much cheaper than our trip to our holiday home. I enjoyed both holidays equally and the standard of comfort and luxury was similar but cosidering the flight to Egypt is further and we had to pay for accommodation I was so surprised in the difference in costs and we are talking at least couple of hundred pounds. The whole package was the same price as our flights and transfer to Turkey.

I can understand your point my grown up daughter has just come back from Egypt and she said exactly the same as you. Package holidays would still be out of our reach though due to the 3 kids not 2 problem:) Plus we still have our rose-tinted Turkey glasses on:)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom