Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Question for those with SGK Healthcare
Our SGK for this month was 382 TL.
Usually it's 395 TL.

Anyone else seeing a small reduction for this month?

suzyq

No, I didn't get a reduction. It will be interesting to see what they charge you next month.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Thanks all.

I can only put this down to our application for long term residency.
Our SGK expired on the day we went to Aydin for our 'interview'.
No option to go earlier as we could only go on the day our residence permit expired.
Once we had our interview and received the temporary permit (peace of paper) we went to the SGK office to get them to continue our membership, which they did but for only the one year the temporary permit is valid for.

So, I think we lost the one day when the SGK expired.
If you take 395tl x 12 and divide by 365 you get 13tl, which is the cost of 1 day.

Usually I would expect them to backdate it....but maybe not in this case.
Or, maybe we'll pay 13tl more next month :)

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
A question to UK residents who have are have had SGK please.

Some folks I know who will start drawing their UK government pensions in August are considering applying for residence permits. They will both be over 65 at that time and, according to what I understand, are not required to have health insurance.

Has this changed or is still the rule?

I have seen this and am not sure I understand what it means:
"a British national in receipt of a UK state pension can only be a member of the scheme as a policy holder not as a dependant spouse."

Both of the folks I know will have UK pensions. They are married. Does this mean they BOTH have to apply for separate SGK policies? One cannot be carried under the other as a dependant? :confused:

:thanks:

You are right ME about them not needing health insurance for RP purposes when they are over 65. It is up to them of course if they think that is the best decision when living in a foreign country where medical bills can be very high. However, as always, a personal choice and worth remembering that they must have residency permits for a full year before they can join SGK.

The issue over UK state pensioners not being able to be "dependents" refers to a change in the SGK rules a few years ago where once you received a UK state pension you could no longer be covered by your spouses SGK premiums and had to join the scheme yourself. Hence, a married couple both in receipt of UK state pensions must have separate SGK cover at the rate of 395TL a month - if they decide to join the scheme. If there is an age gap between the couple, the pensioner can still have their younger spouse covered on their SGK until they receive their own state pension.

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
The logic being that a person paying the SGK premium also covers those who are dependant on them. When the spouse gets their own pension they are, by definition not financially dependant of the policy holder.

Kanga

What about the women who only get a married women's pension based on their husband's contributions because they didn't pay the higher rate NI? They are still a dependant.

(I appreciate that this no longer applies as everyone pays the same rate now but there is still a considerable number of these reduced pensions in payment.)

Best of luck explaining that to the SGK !

I understand totally where you are coming from but I suppose they have to have a general rule.
Equally there could be an argument that some expats do not have the equivalent of twice the minimum Turkish wage to live on but that is the figure that the Turkish Government decided the non-Turkish premium is set at.
Basically its a one size fits all type rule and if we want to be part of the SGK thats the rule in place.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
You are right ME about them not needing health insurance for RP purposes when they are over 65. It is up to them of course if they think that is the best decision when living in a foreign country where medical bills can be very high. However, as always, a personal choice and worth remembering that they must have residency permits for a full year before they can join SGK.

The issue over UK state pensioners not being able to be "dependents" refers to a change in the SGK rules a few years ago where once you received a UK state pension you could no longer be covered by your spouses SGK premiums and had to join the scheme yourself. Hence, a married couple both in receipt of UK state pensions must have separate SGK cover at the rate of 395TL a month - if they decide to join the scheme. If there is an age gap between the couple, the pensioner can still have their younger spouse covered on their SGK until they receive their own state pension.

I understand the necessity for health care coverage, it was the over 65 issue that I wanted to clarify. You did and thank you. :bounce:

On to the pension issue please.

It is my understanding that to apply for RP one must have a minimum of $500 USD monthly income or the equivalent ($6000 USD) in a Turkish savings account to qualify.

I thought that if a married couple apply for RP and can show $1000 USD monthly in a pension or $12000 USD in a Turkish savings account they must apply separately but one spouse can claim the income of the other as a means of support for the two of them.

If this is correct then why does one spouse need to declare a second UK pension if one meets the income requirements for both?

Can one assume that if the wife chooses to defer her pension... She is then still a dependent for SGK?

I wouldnt assume anything when its Turkish Govt/SGK related!!!
From personal experience I can tell you the SGK tends to knock the "dependent" off the system when they reach what they believe is pension age (without telling you and you are unaware until you try to get medical treatment only to be told you havent been covered for x number of months) and then its up to you to rejoin or put forward why the law doesnt refer to you. Whether or not the SGK has heard of - or is even bothered about - a deferred UK pension is another matter of course.

MiddleEarth

MiddleEarth
Either I am too thick to understand, my question is poorly formed, or I did not get a complete answer.

A married UK couple apply for RP
They have $1000+ USD monthly in a government retirement pension
OR they have $12000 USD in a Turkish savings account

Can they together/combined claim this as their proof of income?

If this is correct then are both required to declare both UK pensions?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom