icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Queen
I am watching the tribute to Freddie Mercury....again. Was/are there ever such musicians.

Yes, I am, and always have been a great fan, they are the only band I have ever been to see live at wembley. I dont particularly want to see any other because I dont think anything out there at the moment comes anywhere near to the genious that was QUEEN.
I love to see them interviewed, they were/are so intelligent (well I bet they could spell) lol
Even after all these years I still find new things in their music and lyrics.

My love of music started in the fifties with Elvis, Johnny Ray, The Big Boppa,moved through the sixties (which I found not very interesting) Mum and dad introduced me to Grieg, Mendelson(spelling) and many other well known classical pieces. I go even further back with music that Mum and dad listened to, like the Inkspots, Dianna Durbin.

This week I have just found "Kings of leon" and "My chemical Romance" Which proves I suppose that music never stops. At 65 I am still finding stuff that I love but QUEEN will allways be in my heart. Long live Freddie and QUEEN.

Thanks for letting me ramble.:36329ht5b

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Queen
I am watching the tribute to Freddie Mercury....again. Was/are there ever such musicians.

Yes, I am, and always have been a great fan, they are the only band I have ever been to see live at wembley. I dont particularly want to see any other because I dont think anything out there at the moment comes anywhere near to the genious that was QUEEN.
I love to see them interviewed, they were/are so intelligent (well I bet they could spell) lol
Even after all these years I still find new things in their music and lyrics.

My love of music started in the fifties with Elvis, Johnny Ray, The Big Boppa,moved through the sixties (which I found not very interesting) Mum and dad introduced me to Grieg, Mendelson(spelling) and many other well known classical pieces. I go even further back with music that Mum and dad listened to, like the Inkspots, Dianna Durbin.

This week I have just found "Kings of leon" and "My chemical Romance" Which proves I suppose that music never stops. At 65 I am still finding stuff that I love but QUEEN will allways be in my heart. Long live Freddie and QUEEN.

Thanks for letting me ramble.:36329ht5b

If you think a Queen concert is great , Pink Floyd would be considered incredible. Seen both, liked both but no comparison between the two, honestly.

Biker Bob

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Queen
Cheers Bob, I was wondering who would come back with what band, yep Pink floyd were good. I am silly about music (when I have had a few vinos) but QUEEN will alway's been mine. As I say though, my mind is always open to new stuff..... well old or new.

I would however like your opinion of QUEEN :peace:

saffie

Saffie
Queen
I just love live performances........whatever.........plays,music,bring it on.

I also love Queen and just got back from Uk having watched a Queen programme last night. Dynamite.........fantastic.

Freddie Mercury was just so brilliant.....in my humble opinion.

My Mum just can't understand me.........I used to spend flipping hours under the bedsheets listening to Radio caroline,Luxembourg etc..........used to learn all the lyrics for Queen,Elton John,Pink Floyd,Dire Straights,Abba,Elkie Brooks,Eric Clapton,John Lennon,ooooooooh I could go on and on. Mum said I would never remember them in a few years time!!

How wrong could she be........they're all firmly imprinted in my brain.
:77wu: I'm such a dork!!!!

saffie

giglets

Queen
Lesley,

You have great taste, kid!!

Queen were one of the ultimate stadium bands, with one of the best frontmen ever!!!

My own favourites are Yes, King Crimson, U2, Family, and, more recently, Muse.
All are fantastic live and really deliver the goods!

However, I must admit to being totally in awe of Queen's performance at the original "Live Aid" gig at Wembley - They were so much better than anyone else that day and Mr Mercury was completely in a league of his own!!!

Fantastic!

Dave :36329ht5b

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Queen
Dave your a man after my own heart agree obviously with all you say. xx
Saffie NO way are you a dork. tut.
I think anyone that can embrace music...no matter what kind has a heart, is sensative, hard rockin and ALIVE :36329ht5b

Giglets, how about UB40 ? I have loved em them for years, They gladden my soul.
Anmnie Lennox just kills me (metaforically speekin)
Billie Holiday Blows my mind

and on and on
I love moosic

and .... Hendrix was a god

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn

Queen
Queen, one word brilliant. My favourites of all time.

Pink Floyd, anyone who played Space Invaders at The Wall concert Earls Court around 30 years ago would have seen me manning the machines. I used to repair them and worked at the concert for the week. Harvey Goldsmith took me backstage to change up all the 10ps because I couldn't carry them :thumbup:

Last edited:
Queen
I was in London and fifteen in 1977 and was totally caught up in Punk. I hope I still have some of the DIY spirit and FU attitude, but have to admit I have mellowed. I no longer judge people purely on their musical taste. I accept that it’s what you are like, as opposed to what you like, that is the important thing.

I remember a number of conversations in the dim and distant past where I talked about music with people who hadn't been educated in musical appreciation by the NME. They found it hard to grasp why a piece of music that sounded perfectly nice was inherently vile, whilst another piece that sounded superficially identical to the first was, in fact, utterly brilliant. They did not have the depth of knowledge required about the history of the artists involved, were totally unaware of the politics - both social and musical - intrinsically connected with each record and had no inkling at all of who the bass player's sister used to go out with. So how on earth could they have a valid opinion on whether it was a decent record or not?

Then I got a ‘real’ life and admitted that this was a juvenile attitude and that there is room in this world for musical appreciation based on the sound it makes. I accepted that my narrow and constrained view probably denied me many potential enjoyable musical experiences.

However deep down I always knew this was bollocks. There is more to music than the sound it makes and my narrow and constrained view meant I got an awful lot more pleasure out of the musical experiences I did have than the shallow "ooh that's quite nice" responses legions of U2 fans got.

I think Queen are dreadful. The most overrated band ever. Technically proficient but with no soul. But that is just my opinion.

Andy

Queen
Yes, it's Queen for me too. They were simply the best out there.

Of recent days i have a great love of Pinks Music, Funhouse & Mizundastood 2 of her best albums.

Heard alot about Chemical Romance but have never listened to any of there music.

carolk

R.I.P
Queen
Oh Lesley, one of me biggest regrets, I never saw then live, what a fool!! Thought I had time - ah well. They, and particularly Freddie were superb!! Never tire of hearing them.

My next fav's are Meatloaf who I have seen many, many times, they bring the house down!

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Queen
I remember that Bohemian Rhapsody was no ! for about 2 years, or thats how it felt ! I would have been 16 to 17 in 75/6 and it was on all pub juke boxes and always played by the pub DJs, while I liked the sound of queen I was more into Bowie and Elton John, seen Bowie a few times and have never been disappointed, also seen Elton John a good few times that guy plays for 2 hours plus, non stop at 100 mph always value for money.
Saw the red piano concert/show in las vegas and it was probably the best I have ever seen (bowies glass spider tour at Maine rd Manchesterwas my fave before that)
Linsey would argue that seeing Bob Marley at Deeside leisure centre when he announced he was dying was one of her favourites where she was lifted off the ground by the crowd and secondary smoking was pure weed.
Back to Queen I would love to have seen them live, but sadly never took the opportunity.

martin

Martyn

Queen
Look at him command the fans. I lived a couple of miles from Wembley then and you could hear it from my house.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Queen
yes completely brilliant !

just like yesterday ! but so was being 21 and 22 and 23 etc

martin

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Queen
Yes Freddie Mercury was a brilliant performer, sadly, another one of the greats has gone, but his music will always live on.

lesleykay

Queen
Coincidental post. Just got in from 'one night with queen' tribute band at the queens theatre hornchurch, Gary Mullen as Freddie (stars in your eyes winner some time ago). He is very good and the musicians are excellent, have the music still ringing in my ears!
Freddie is still my hero

giglets

Queen
Lesley,

UB40, Annie Lennox etc... all have real talent and will be remembered and enjoyed for many years to come!

Musical tastes will always vary greatly, but talent will always be recognised!

One man's/woman's favourite track/album/band will always, also, be another's bucket of ****!

In my case, that bucket contains most of the Punk drivel that passed for music and the purile "politics" that went with it!!

Jonny was indeed Rotten!

Dave :95im:

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Queen
Dave,
I couldn't have put it better myself, totally agree with you. My bucket would probably contain most "Modern Jazz", I have never been able to understand or enjoy it. I enjoy "Trad" Jazz though.

Lesley

TONY MORRIS

Queen
Cheers Bob, I was wondering who would come back with what band, yep Pink floyd were good. I am silly about music (when I have had a few vinos) but QUEEN will alway's been mine. As I say though, my mind is always open to new stuff..... well old or new.

I would however like your opinion of QUEEN :peace:

If you are in to Queen like I have been since the 70's there will never be another group like them. You say about them on tele but you can get a dvd called Singer of Song's Lover of Life it is a 2 dvd pack and it is brilliant!!! No one can replace Freddie in the Queen Line up.:amen:

Queen
I'll give a quick example of one of the many reasons I don't rate Queen.

Here are two songs written about how dreadful radio was in the seventies, the decade of Nicky Horne and Dave Lee Travis.Radio Ga GA by Queen and Radio Radio by Elvis Costello.

Queen tell us “All we hear is Radio ga ga, Radio blah blah”

Elvis Costello says “And the radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools tryin' to anaesthetise the way that you feel”

So far they agree. But their reactions are very different.

Queen : “Radio – someone still loves you!”

Elvis : “I wanna bite the hand that feeds me, I wanna bite that hand so badly
I want to make them wish they'd never seen me.”

Freddie sits back and lets it happen, gets anaesthetised. Costello gets mad and wants to bite back.

As a ‘youff’ at the time this summed up the attitude difference between bands with passion and soul and passionless groups that wanted to sell their souls to become corporations.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom