Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Not bothered either way

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Put The Dogs Down?
This thread has many opinions about how the "stray" dogs should be treated to alleviate the thought that the dog population is out of control in Turkey. So I've decided to start a poll on this, the poll will end on Monday 17th August.

Last edited:

Harem

I've cliqued
Put The Dogs Down?
Oh, not that simple, is it? If the dogs are going to be 'put down' or 'killed' then it should be done humanely, but I fear it wouldn't be that way.

Put The Dogs Down?
Lesley dont thank ıt can be as sımple as that,in some cases yes they should be put down humanely, but on the other hand there mıght be away to rehome them (dont have the anwser to that one) so I cant say Im not botherd eıther way,so back to the start on thıs one!..as ıt ıs just to emotıve...Jim.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Put The Dogs Down?
This thread has many opinions about how the "stray" dogs should be treated to alleviate the thought that the dog population is out of control in Turkey. So I've decided to start a poll on this, the poll will end on Monday 17th August.

You need to have more options then what you have. I for one adore dogs, but I would rather one be put down humanly then poisend, starved and abused and not loved or cared for.

Bob

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
Put The Dogs Down?
I'm interested to know what exactly "humanely" is in this circumstance?

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Put The Dogs Down?
Oh yeah put them down. INTRODUCE them, use them as props for crappy bars as pups, abandon them at the end of the season, and then when they get in the way or threaten holidaymakers just put them down? BALLS!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Put The Dogs Down?
I presume this poll relates to 'If it were possible to do so' because:

1. It is against the Turkish Animal Protection Law to kill ownerless animals.

2. Many Turkish vets will not euthanise a healthy animal.

If that's the case this pole holds no water. If there is a law as such it's like most of the other laws here and nothing done to enforce them.

Biker Bob

parrot

Put The Dogs Down?
I presume this poll relates to 'If it were possible to do so' because:

1. It is against the Turkish Animal Protection Law to kill ownerless animals.

2. Many Turkish vets will not euthanise a healthy animal.

And there was me thinking it was going to be done tomorrow.:dooh:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Put The Dogs Down?
If that's the case this pole holds no water. If there is a law as such it's like most of the other laws here and nothing done to enforce them.

Biker Bob

You may be right Bob, but we've had polls on other subject matter, and it's a good way to find out what people think about what can be done. How I wish that we could do something. One suggestion from a post was that all dogs should be kept on a lead and those that are not be kept in a compound, but this would not mean that they would find a loving home, their fate may still be to have their lives cut short.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Put The Dogs Down?
have to say I agree with superbogs, but if the poll was extended to the locals would they be up in arms demanding that the dogs be saved ? i doubt it ! I have always been on the fence on this issue but I find that the only argument for not culling the wild pack animals that they are is simply emotive and not rational - thats my opinion -

its only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt or killed

martin

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Put The Dogs Down?
I have to point out that the uk is'nt so good at dog ownership as some people think . There was a corgi puppy 5 months old dumped at a service area on the M1 . The shih tzu i own was given to me age 1yr because she pooed on the owners Versace Sofa . He was out all day untill midnight has he owns a pub . I also took in a cavalier king charles spanial that was pushed out of a car in Derby . She had been used as a breeding machine She was in terrible condition and ill . I found a loveing home for her . in may i had a cairn terrier dumped in my garden approx 2yrs old . I rehomed her through breed rescue . The canine trust Never puts a healthy dog down not even the Oldies. And many of the small dogs homes do not euthanise healthy dogs . I owned a tri corgi he was taken poorly I took him to the RVC for scans . He had cancer of the liver spleen and kidneys I had no choice he was put to sleep in my arms I loved him so much i cryed for weeks . In those circumstances when a dog is in pain & suffering we must do what is right for the dog . .. I have seen a dog being eaten alive from the inside out by maggots when a wound had been fly blown . and a poor little soul with acid thrown in his face . I will not say some things i.ve seen as it would upset my fellow dog lovers on here to much . What i am trying to say is = if these pedigree dogs costing hundreds of pounds are dumped in the uk then what chance do the poor Turkish dogs stand ? Education is needed and dog wardens . But its not our place to try to change a countrys culture or beliefs . I asked my Turkish husband tonight what his opinion was . He said everything on earth was put here for a reason and he would'nt have the dogs Killed Especialy to please other people who are Guests in his country . I agree with Him ... Diane . ps My tri corgi was 3yrs old .

Last edited:

parrot

Put The Dogs Down?
You may be right Bob, but we've had polls on other subject matter, and it's a good way to find out what people think about what can be done. How I wish that we could do something. One suggestion from a post was that all dogs should be kept on a lead and those that are not be kept in a compound, but this would not mean that they would find a loving home, their fate may still be to have their lives cut short.

I get a feeling the doggy brigade are now against the poll maybe due to the result,so far,and now looking for other reasons to invalidate or excuse it.

Put The Dogs Down?
At the end of the day,no matter what this poll shows,it is the responsibility of the Turkish Government to uphold the laws already passed,but not enforced.
I would imagine peoples understanding of "strays" may differ when they think of Turkey.Does this poll mean "ownerless" dogs,or owned dogs that wander on the streets?
In my opinion,the numbers of genuine street dogs are less than people imagine,whereas the numbers of owned dogs left to roam is increasing.
Then there are the vets,pet shops who breed and sell puppies..............given the problems,should this be allowed?
Until the government introduces laws and regulations about the responsibilities of ownership,there will always be a problem.

Last edited:

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Put The Dogs Down?
Carolgriffis < You are 1oo% correct .I have sen 3/4 pups cramped in a crate dureing the heat without water . Izmir as dozens of pet shops . ..... Every breed of puppy can be bought in Bursa Its one big puppy farm . They've more dogs than liptons has tea leafs ! They Sale of wild chimps is prohibited But When monkey world found a chimp in Bodrum tied up They went to the govt . Those in power Either knew the law but did'nt no what to do to impliment it . or did.nt no it even existed ! The chimp was finaly allowed to come to Monkey World in the UK . I still say it needs a pettion to the govt To remind they have these laws . Has useual the right hand dos'nt no what the left hand is doing !!!

As a member of the doggy brigade the results of the poll won.t affect me one liitle bit . I.m not against the poll . To me it just shows how many mean people are members of the forum . And what company i should keep . Diane

Harem

I've cliqued
Put The Dogs Down?
I'm one of the doggy brigade and I voted "yes, humanely". I think that it is far better than letting the poor creatures starve, get ill and suffer. But I do emphasise, Humanely. I'm not mean, either.

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Put The Dogs Down?
I myself voted NO -- but I wish there had been an option for putting to sleep if ill or old - and have no quality of life left -- like some of the poor dogs in the shelter at Turgetries and Torba - because that is just cruel to keep them alive in that condition - then I would have voted for that option

Latest Posts

Top Bottom