Terry S

Put the dogs down
Ok this might not be the solution but we have just come back from Gumbet and the number of street dogs roaming about have seemed to of shot up . We went to the beach for a meal and by the childrens play area there was 14 dogs the littlle kids were scared and even the older kids would not go on the swings due to the amount of dogs when we asked why so many dogs we were told that a food place feeds them with left overs so the dogs hang around there and wait for the food and crap all over the place . The owner of the place we was talking to was not too happy as the dogs drove his costomers away . Ok you might say ahhh poor dogs but would it not be kinder to put them to sleep rather than let them live on a starvation day to day life which would only get worse in the winter I think that is cruel . You can not put them all in a dogs home not enough money to keep them . Well I think put them to sleep would stop the suffering and be kinder to the animals . What do you lot think ?

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Put the dogs down
The real answer is prevention.Not to allow this problem to get out of hand in the first place will be a start.To round them up and put them to sleep will only be replaced with the same amount of dogs next year,because of the lack of understanding on what the real issues are about in stopping this from happening again and again.
The Turkish tourists come with their dogs and dump them in the area to breed,so it is back to square one.

Since the people will not take the responsibility of neutering their dogs,then the authorities must act,by enforcing laws to stop irresponsible owners from creating problems for others.

Licensing a dog,neutering,and just proper commonsense and showing a caring towards the animal will benefit the community and the owner.lf they do not abide to the laws then they should be fined and the dog taken away to have neutured,which the fine will pay for.

Also to form a society for the protection of animal rights in liason with the authorities

Last edited:

Harem

I've cliqued
Put the dogs down
Yes, of couse it would be kinder to put them to sleep, but it seems the way they do it over here is by poison, which is not kinder.

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Put the dogs down
"The Turkish tourists come with their dogs and dump them in the area to breed,so it is back to square one."

Hmmmm dont know about that. Why would a Turkish tourist travel with their dog from a far flung part of the country just to dump it? If they were that way inclined they could drive a few miles from their home and do so.

There are a lot of English people who take dogs in, find its a cramp on their lifestyle or they cant make a life here so dump them. I dont think dumping dogs is restricted to any one nationality.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Put the dogs down
Sorry Bob but your maths doesnt add up !
If 20 dogs are taken away and 20 are brought and dumped as you put it that means there are 20 dogs roaming, if you leave the original 20 dogs and 20 more are dumped then that is 40 dogs.
I agree with your comments on neutering but also feel the government should act now before there are any serious attacks, not to mention the potential disease from the dog filth etc
a very emotive subject this one

martin

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Put the dogs down
"The Turkish tourists come with their dogs and dump them in the area to breed,so it is back to square one."

Hmmmm dont know about that. Why would a Turkish tourist travel with their dog from a far flung part of the country just to dump it? If they were that way inclined they could drive a few miles from their home and do so.

There are a lot of English people who take dogs in, find its a cramp on their lifestyle or they cant make a life here so dump them. I dont think dumping dogs is restricted to any one nationality.

Well I am sorry to say that YES they do dump their animals - especially when that cute little puppy grows into a BIG dog ! or find out their dog is ill.
My Murphy was dumped 2 years ago - could not understand why as a person would have paid 1 500 dollars for this type of dog - until he starting to limp after vigorous exersize --- x rays at vets showed he had hip dysplasia and could be costly -- solution - they dumped him !!
Fortunatly he has not had to have any pain killers since last November so the sad person who dumped him has missed out on one lovely / faithful friend -- and I have gained !

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Put the dogs down
Not saying they dont dump them Sue - Im saying Its unlikely that a Turk will travel down from say, Ankara with a dog to dump and its wrong to say the problem is down to Turkish Tourists only.

Put the dogs down
I dont think they bring them on holiay with them so much as get a dog whilst here-either to guard the property,or a pup for the children,then leave behind when theyreturn home..................not all I might add.Im sure some take their new pet home with them.
Quite right about people geting a dog and realising the care it needs is more than they imagined and quite right about people dumping animals that are sick and need vet treatment.
The Turkish Government has to enforce the laws in place and perhaps use systems in place in EU countries to improve animal welfare before they consider the tourists.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Put the dogs down
The Turkish holiday makers do abandon their pets once they lose interest,because they just realized when the dog matures,it cost money to take care of the animal.
A Turkish guy told me years ago how they come from the cities with their pets on holiday with the intention of abandoning them,once the holiday is over.They leave the dog behind alone and frightened.l heard this a few times from Turkish people,if you want to get rid of the problem,just leave it somewhere.l was very annoyed with this remark and argued with them on how so wrong this attitude is.This is why you have the problem of dogs,because of this attitude.

The foriegners also behave badly as well, towards the animals.l knew of one British woman that had 5 dogs and had them all put down,because she can no longer afford the up keep.And l know some do abandon them without having them neutured first,but they cry out when the problem of dogs in the area is affecting their lives.l find these people very hypocritical and closed minded.

With attitudes like these will always create problems in the area.And that is where the problem lays.Having a irrisponsible and selfish attitude will only inflame the problem.But to look at it with an open mind and try to understand why and how this problem occurrs will create answers to the problem.

No way,should the dogs be rounded up and killed,that is definately not the answer.l find it very barbaric and stupid.

Moggycat

Put the dogs down
I don't know what the answer is to this problem, all I know is that I feel very sorry for the poor dogs that have no homes and nobody to love or feed them properly. As we live half the time in turkey and half in England we couldn't and wouldn't take on a dog anywhere, as much as we would dearly love to and we have always found the Gumbet Beach dogs to be a very friendly lot in Summer and Winter. Moggycat

susi

susi
Put the dogs down
Hi Terry, We have the same problem in Altinkum and I put the same veiws on this forum but once again shouted down by the "dog lovers" but agree these animals should be put to sleep ( not poisoned) as they are no good to anyone, they are dirty and hungry and can be very nasty, I dont like dogs but would never hurt one but to put them down humanely would be much kinder, susi

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Put the dogs down
I understand what your saying Bob butttttttttt this is Turkey. Most dogs are just a pain and expense to Turks. They were brought up this way, from the beginning of time. Untill the government enforces a license tag and makes people responsible for these animals then it will never change. There needs to be a proper animal control program that has the authority to fine people for not taking proper care of their dog ( or cat ). If these animals are going to starving, have no water and tied up under the summer heat and never attended to they really are better off put down. I don't believe in the street dog program as it's just like covering a bad zit with make-up. Back home if you adopt an animal from the shelter you have 30 days to have it fixed. If you don't you get a heavy fine and lose the dog. Unfortunately the program also works where the dog does not want seniority as when they run out of room the dog there the longest is humanely put down. This is better then roaming the streets, starving, abused, injured and sick. The government needs to make serious changes in their own policies as well as education to children that these animals are our best friends, not to be abused and treated worse then a rat. Untill that happenes, nothing will change. The dogs will continue to get poisened because people are either afraid of them, they bark all night or they affect business and scare people off. If these dogs were under a proper population control program then they wouldn't need suffer. JMHO

Biker Bob

Put the dogs down
We have just returned from Yalikavak the problem was horrendous dogs were running round barking all day and night thought the heat would knock them out but no. My youngest is frightened of dogs and so what has gone from being an enjoyable 2 weeks holiday for the last couple of years became a stressful time where my son wouldnt even sit on the verranda and was always looking over his shoulder every time he heard a bark if one of the dogs would of jumped up at him he would of been knocked off his feet and he isnt small. Something has to be done but what I dont know as the problem seems to be out of hand.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Put the dogs down
Why are so many Turks terrified of what most would call pet dogs or cats?

Biker Bob

stevecarol

Put the dogs down
Dogs running free and out of control on beeches or around property are a big pain. Although i hate to say it and disagree that dogs should be put to sleep, i feel that any dog that does have a name tag should be collected by the authorities.
If a owner has lost a dog, he or she would look first in the pound,if after say 3months no one has claimed the dog then it should be humanly put to to sleep,

The problem I have with that, is that.i would end up cllaiming them all.

As much much as i lovd dogs i can still see there IS a problem
Poision is not the answer. Castraton is not workinkg.

The only way is to collet all the dogs that are running free, pound them for 3 mounthws if no one claims them, then put them down humainly.
This may upset maant but in my eyes its the to go.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Put the dogs down
SuperBogs .... most turkish believe its dirty to have a dog or cat in the house . as you may no my hubby is Turkish and i was shocked when he asked me how i can live in my house with dog sh1t all over the floor ! The Turks have not yet grasped that dogs can be house trained .... If only that could be put across to them Then i think there wouldn't be so many street dogs . Maybe then they would view them as pets as we do . And take them indoors . Also many times when i've stroked Turkish dogs people have said .. no no don't touch it if it bites you you'll have rabbies !!! I've always told them i'm more likely to die by one of thier motor bikes on the Pavement ...... If only we could all get together and devise a scheme for dog training and Education . Form a group of owners willing to do shows for kids of dogs doing tricks . Something like agility or flyball . They just don.t understand about dogs So the only way is to teach them ....Diane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom