Squeaky

Purchases from E Bay or Amazon
Good morning:

Would like to hear from members who have purchased things from outlets in UK, E Bay or Amazon and had it shipped to Turkey.

I am not interested in major purchases - just minor stuff under a few hundred pounds and books.

Was there any particular trouble with customs or other authorities concerning the importation?

I have not heard anyone mention this subject for a long time but I recall years ago that there were major problems trying to get anything in to the country.

Cheers

Squeaky

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Normal day-to-day stuff isn't a problem. Loads of expats out here buy through EBay and Amazon.

You get the odd hiccups, and sometimes, if the item is unusual or high-value, it'll get intercepted by customs and you might have to pay duty.

pembelu

i have bought a few things off ebay in the past but the packaging is often crap hence getting it sent to my mums 1st and she checks it all and sometimes repacks and sends to me or she retains it for me to collect if n when i visit...actually hardly ever these days so i too am considering having things sent to me in Turkey too...
never had to pay anything extra but value rarely above £50. I have found the loser the package the more likely its been opened and looked at!

Sara-666

I've had lots of dvd's, cd's and books sent here from Amazon and E-bay, never been a problem. I've not had anything of more value sent though, these go through my Mum in the UK.

Sara

traveller

I've been looking to buy a new laptop from a UK source, because I want an english keyboard and the prices are much better. The problem I'm finding is that nobody wants to ship to Turkey, even the ones that advertise "worldwide". Some will only ship to the credit card holder's address and don't ship to Turkey so I'm stumped. So my only way is to get a friend to buy it for me and bring it over. Why is Turkey NOT considered to be a part of the world?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Getting a friend to bring it over is probably your best option.

If you did manage to find a seller willing to post it to Turkey, which many misinformed people regard as "Bandit Country", there's a good chance that it'll be seized by customs and you'll end up paying duty on it.

Some will only ship to the credit card holder's address

You can't really blame them for that attitude with all the scams that are going on these days.

nomaderol

turkish custom will seize anything with value more than 50-100 Euro or any unusual thing even if it is 1 euro piece. Books and such things are not any problem at all. They never seize.

saffie

Saffie
I ordered a kind of tens machine from Amazon.com( USA) some time ago which arrived safely in around 12 days.

Last year I ordered a mattress topper from the UK which was rather a large package. It arrived safely in less than 2 weeks with no problems.

In both cases the PTT left me a little ticket asking me to go and collect the goods from the main PTT office in town.

:wink:

saffie

jakebeak

I've had the reverse experience with Amazon. Two years ago I ordered a few things - books, CDs etc, but the package got stopped at the Gumruk office in Izmir. It was a good day out! You have to pay a fee and then a fine and be interviewed in Turkish about the contents of the package and how much you value it at and then some else values it and tells you what you have to pay. It's totally at their discretion to stop something. However, my husband has had a few things stopped, but also has had a lot of stuff sent with no problems whatsoever.

I've bought stuff from ebay and received here. Buying from the US is best with regular post - apparently DHL and similar gets an extra examination at customs but registered US post slips through in under 2 weeks.

kernowians

I have had many things from China and US - no problems and all arrive within 8 days at most.

hijo

in my own clique
have had stuff from ebay from the uk .sometimes in only a couple of days..also stuff from china .i had one problem i sent of for a (watch /camera/phone), the first one was stopped by customs in turkey ,i can only assume ..i emailed the company in hong/kong ,explaining i had,nt received it ,(after 6 weeks)..they sent me out another one i received that within a week....:28:

anthony_arndt

I've been looking to buy a new laptop from a UK source, because I want an english keyboard and the prices are much better. The problem I'm finding is that nobody wants to ship to Turkey, even the ones that advertise "worldwide". Some will only ship to the credit card holder's address and don't ship to Turkey so I'm stumped. So my only way is to get a friend to buy it for me and bring it over. Why is Turkey NOT considered to be a part of the world?

It's probably because of Customs duties. Small things might slip through. Electronics don't. My Turkish friends who have ordered abroad said that they are usually charged between 25 and 200 EUR for electronics. That wasn't too bad, so wanting an English Keyboard and English Windows 7 we placed an order from the US (we're American by passport and that's where our main bank is). A desktop-replacement laptop, a couple of external hard-drives for storage, and a cheap netbook for my wife to read e-books on the bus.

It arrived on Monday. The combination of shipping (from the shop) then the Turkish Customs charges (tax, terminal charges, warehouse charges, brokerage charges, and a stamps fee) added an aditional 60% to the retail(after-tax)-price. We've been saving since September to get up the cash, now Customs wants nearly 1500 YTL more.

Bottom line, if you want an English-language laptop, it's cheaper to fly home, visit your parents for a week, and carry it back with you in your luggage. And that's for an American. Take a budget-airline back to the UK for a weekend and the lack of duty charges will pay for the ticket.

The cut-off for what Customs will (currently) ignore seems to be around 300-400 YTL.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Another good option is to get someone to buy you the model that you want at a Duty Free shop on the way out.

You can go online and check stock and they'll often reserve items for you to pick-up on the way through.

Have a look at the Dixons Tax Free website.

Last edited:
I order regularly from Amazon and have never had to pay duty. Last year an order didn't arrive, I emailed Amazon who immediately dispatched a replacement. Excellent service!

Karyn UK

I regularly buy stuff from Ebay - weird things normally like dog worming tablets and paxo :)

Yesterday had two months supply of cod liver oil tablets, two summer dresses, two cat flea collars and Elizabeth Arden cleansing mask arrive. Normally stuff arrives within a week to ten days and gets left at the tea shop and you pop down and pick it up.

Karyn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom