juco

Prostate cancer and the over 50s
Thought I would write about this and give you a brief history of my own experience hoping it might stir some of you 50+ guys into getting this checked out.

I doubt if any of this is linked but I cant help but feel when one part of the body weakens its like a domino effect and it impacts on other parts of the body….who knows.

About 2.5 years ago I had to get my gall bladder removed, no big deal as it was keyhole surgery and the body can live without it, then about 18 months ago a heart attack so I got an angiogram and had a stent fitted, problem solved.

So now on medication for life, shortly after coming out of hospital I had diarrhea most mornings which was put down to the medication and the body would adjust to it, after 6 months my body hadn’t adjusted so they sent me for tests for prostate cancer, which is basically a tube going where you dont want it to go with a camera on the end. To be hones it was more uncomfortable and embarresing than painful, anyhow the doctor guy said all looked fine and report will be sent to the doctor. The report comes back all ok.

About 6 weeks after that I get a letter to get an extended version of the endoscopy done so I phone and say I got the all clear must be a mistake…nope, because they found nothing they want to go in deeper just in case…DEEPER! I am sure the last time they had about 3 feet of tube in me! What the F… ( I still had diarrhea). So along I go but this time they give you pain killers and sedate you, so again almost painless. This time they found a polyp which was tested and found to be ok. However the doctor dude did explain to me that given 10 years or so that polyp could have developed into cancer!

I have just been back for another 6 monthly `up the rear` ( I still don’t enjoy it) and all is clear so don`t need another for 5 years now.

I was lucky and a potential problem was caught in time.

The irony of all this is eventually my doctor gave me some pills to stop the diarrhea, take one in the morning and one at night, the diarrhea stopped overnight, so after a week I thought “ I will cut back to just one pill” still no diarrhea, so, I stopped taking them after another week.

I have never had diahrrea since so I think the pills just put my body back into sync.

I hope I haven’t bored you with this little tale but guys it is important to get this checked.

carolk

R.I.P
No Juco you didn't bore me, I found it very interesting. Most of us ignore things we shouldn't. Glad you are doing well now!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Same here Juco, I found your thread very interesting, and like you men us ladies should also check for our areas of highly sensitive and silently catching us for Breast Cancer. I think that all men should be given a prostate test when they reach their 50's because like Breast cancer it can also be a silent killer if left untreated.

That was a great post!
Andy Chapman taught me the importance of checks for prostate trouble last year on here after a few discussions and I went for the PSA blood test which gave me a reading of 1.9 so I was reassured .
I turned down the finger up the rectum job too as we had only just met and he seemed relieved too!!
I expected my doctor to say the usual " If you have no symptoms we cant afford to do it on the NHS" but no,it was fine!!

I think I will now do it annually or every 2 years now past 60 to be sure.
I will always be grateful for Andy,s wise advice and I now have several male family members who have been tested.
Its one of those macho things that is perhaps awkward to approach like testicular problems but now even they get rolled around more than usual and I am getting better at billiards !!!
Sorry , Ladies ,I know, too much information !!!:30::30:

Last edited:

Redhand

To all you over 50 males I would strongly advice getting an annual blood test to chect the levels of PSA in your blood. This is a simple blood test and acts as an early warning detection for Prostate Cancer. As with all cancers the earliest it is detected means the greater chance of a cure. I had prostate cancer detected through a blood test two years ago and while the levels were quite high I recieved a variety of threatments including radiation and two years on I am feeling good, however I am being monitored every 6 months.I count myself very lucky as I had no symphoms what so ever and only had my blood tested for PSA as I was having my cholestoral levels tested at the time, so don't think you will be OK untill you suspect something. I have no doubt that if I had not been diagnosed untill I had some sympthoms it would have been too late.
For men Prostate Cancer is as common and as dangerous as breast cancer is in women and needs to be carefully monitors.
As I have said this is a simple annual blood test and could mean all the difference to the quality of the rest of you life.
If any of you have any worries about this issue or have any questions or would like to know more send me a PM and I will be more than happy to give you any help I can.

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Glad all is well Juco :)

For those of you living in this neck of the woods, WIT do a mens health trip that runs to BSK, they do a complete mens check up that includes prostate as well as bloods, heart bones, etc.. and all for 200ytl.

spitfire

Frustrated Bolton Fan
Glad all is well Juco :)

For those of you living in this neck of the woods, WIT do a mens health trip that runs to BSK, they do a complete mens check up that includes prostate as well as bloods, heart bones, etc.. and all for 200ytl.

Thanks Kym, I heard about this health trip last week when I was in Altinkum. For 200ytl is a great service and well worth it even if it's only for peace of mind

Allan

hijo

in my own clique
..they were doing a full medical check in a private aydin hospital this year for the over 50,s ,185 lira..i missed that one but going for the next one... it do,es take more or less a full day, after the full medical including prostrate checks..you go away for a couple of ours and come back for the results..:cheers:

johngood

I got prostate cancer last year christmas day hastane kusadasi reading 100% boxing day in Izmir hospital operation that night. I know should have gone sooner been passing blood. I then had radiation treatment in Izmir. Go to hospital for checks i strongley recommend that all men over 50 go.

hijo

in my own clique
..hope your on the mend now johngood..good luck..:cheers:

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Thanks you guys for being so upfront (no pun intended) about this subject because its also a reminder to us ladies to keep on at the other half to get it checked.

Good luck to all you men who are suffering from prostate cancer and thank you for this great input.
Do you all recommend the PSA blood test annually or a longer period between checks?

Apparently over 60 I need to keep my reading to below 4 as the acceptable limit does rise a little with age and I saw my doctor write 4 in brackets on the card before my test.
Is 1.9 ok as my doctor seemed happy?.
Its important also to remember that seminal fluid present increases the reading so there must be no sexual activity for 24 hours before the test,I think I was told.

Its free and takes about 2 minutes to take a bit of blood with a nurse.
Well worth it!!

johngood

Thank you hijo. to the other reader 1.9 is ok
has i said my reading was 100% and passing blood THE LAST READING WAS 0.4.
IT cost little money to have bloods checked. if my readings stop the same i will be very happy. and this year i will. i hope enjoy xmas & new year.and not forgetting the wife who went through this with me.

yes it is very important as my husband went back to England his yearly heart control drugs . He was told he had a enlarge prostrate gland and would need to have a scan in 3 days time , he left it and cane back to Turkey.
Afew months later found a note in his diary about inlarged prostrate gland.
Of course I went mental asked him about it and he told me. Of course by this time it was 3 months later , rushed him to the hospital or a medical and was told 1 hour later his kidney would have to be removed imediately as he had cancer...and they thought it might have been too late ..lucky it was not.
the most difficult part of this as I told him that I thought he had cancer when he went to England the first time , and told him to demand a full medical...Systems pain in lowere back a a pungent smell was coming off of him now and again.
SO RULES ARE ANY PAINS, SMELL GO TO DOCTORS OR JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULL MEDICAL EVERY YEAR

Thank you hijo. to the other reader 1.9 is ok
has i said my reading was 100% and passing blood THE LAST READING WAS 0.4.
IT cost little money to have bloods checked. if my readings stop the same i will be very happy. and this year i will. i hope enjoy xmas & new year.and not forgetting the wife who went through this with me.
Thanks Johngood
I wish you well.

Redhand

Lads don't be put off by all the talk of detailed examinations, operations and full scale check ups etc - of course they are all useful and for some people essential,
All that is needded to put your mind at ease is a simple annual PSA blood test which can be taken by a nurse or doctor. If the result of the blood test is OK no need to do anything for another year, but ensure that you have a blood test every year

Martyn

I've had a couple of blood tests recently for Chloresterol and the nerve problem with my arm. Would this have been included do you think?

No I dont think so as its a specific test.
Perhaps anaemia and the usual stuff but they wouldnt bother about PSA so I would get it checked mate

Latest Posts

Top Bottom