Bramidan

Proposed strikes.
I can't see as you must be a member of the Labour party to be a Union representative. Politics doesn't demand that.
After all, we have a fair few communists in the ranks, so a precedence has been set.
The most potentially powerful union in the 80's wasn't the miners either.
It was those in what I believe was the EETPU - who represented the power station employees.
For all Scargill's power at that time, it was the EETPU members who could literally turn of the electricity at the flick of a switch, but they never sided with Scargill when he approached them because they were well paid and got very good pay rises without being militant.
I would suggest that the point made in the very last words illustrate why workers should unite together, it would appear the power the EETPU wielded was sufficient for them to be treated fairly.
Contrast that to the position of workers at the risk of “firing and rehiring” the Tory stance of allowing employers to use agency staff etc etc.
More power to the rail workers, I feel other sectors will follow them. Surely people will only allow big business and Govt to take the mickey for so long before they have had enough. Seen the gap between so called Senior Managers (joke, witness airport chaos, former introduction of new railway time tables as examples) and workers?
Levelling up? Can we expect that at the same time the 40 new hospitals open?
I’m always surprised that there hasn’t been mass protests in this country from the disallusioned.

Saoirse

Proposed strikes.
One fact that this strike has yet again illustrated is how out of touch, conservative and indeed pointless the Labour leadership really is

In attempting to ban Labour Mps from showing solidarity with TU members in a genuine legal justified industrial dispute clearly shows why many in the electorate hold Starmer et al with utter contempt

It further clearly displays why changing johnson for starmer will not make things one jot better when it comes to creating a more equal society

Both are Tories both are singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to the divisions between well off and poor, workers and rich parasites

It underlines voting Tory lite to remove Tory is a pointless exercise as it will result in same old same old

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Proposed strikes.

Labour frontbenchers who joined rail strike pickets pressed to apologise​

Extract:
MPs who defied Keir Starmer’s order to stay away from striking RMT workers may be disciplined for attendance.

Labour frontbenchers who defied Keir Starmer to appear on picket lines have been encouraged to issue public apologies or risk disciplinary action, despite some shadow cabinet members urging the Labour leader to drop the issue.

Several frontbenchers were pictured alongside striking RMT workers on Tuesday, despite explicit instructions from Starmer to stay away.

Hilsjw

Proposed strikes.
I was thinking, what would this country be like under a Labour Government ? Any ideas, any one ?

Saoirse

Proposed strikes.
Hilsjw if starmer is leading the party you will notice no difference from the current regime-as he could very easily along with his cabal sit comfortably in todays tory party

Chasey

Proposed strikes.
I was thinking, what would this country be like under a Labour Government ? Any ideas, any one ?
well under 10 years of labor government people enjoyed an 18% growth in income in real terms, they introduced the minimum wage. The government managed to significantly reduce poverty in the UK (child poverty was reduced by 50%) without raising taxes, but NI was increased and dividends tax was doubled for people claiming this as income (Something which doubled my tax bill from 10% to 20% but I thought was entirely justified at the time)

It was a labor government that rejected the Euro Zone and kept the £

It as a labor government that signed the good Friday agreement

It was a labor government that supported the devolution of Scotland

It was a labor government that came up with the Civil Partnership agreement allowing for gay marriage, and reduced the age of consent for gay sex to 16 in line with heterosexual partnerships thus keeping gays off the sexual offender's list for under 21s having consensual gay sex. they also were the first government to legislate in favor of Transgender people with the Gender Recognition Act 2004

It was labor who came up with gender-equal employment rights equal pay for women etc.

It was Labor who introduced tax credits for the poorest people including this on low incomes

It was labor that extended protections to workers with children with the Employment Act 2002

It was labor who started Postal voting

It was labor who abolished hereditary peers in the house of Lords

They removed the power of government to directly change interest rates and handed that power to the Bank of England whilst at the same time removing powers from the BoE and transferring them to the Financial Services Authority

And this is just some brief highlights and pretty much all of this was in their first term in office. !!!!

Saoirse

Proposed strikes.
Just take a minute to read the post below, from a Rail Worker, that gives a different perspective to the hyperbole being flung out by HMG's client journalists...

Three years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise, two years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise. But this year they came to us with a 0% pay rise plus over 2500 redundancies, changes to terms and conditions. An increase from 28 weeks of nights to 39 weeks of nights. An increase from 32 weekends worked to 39 weekends worked. Currently for a night shift we get time and a quarter, for a weekend turn we get time and a half. They wish to cut both of these to time and a tenth. So that’s a 15% pay cut on every night shift and a 40% pay cut on every weekend turn. But they want us to work more of them. This is their modernisation they talk about. Not technology, we embrace technology and have seen more and more of it in recent years. They also wish to fire and re-hire the operative grades and bring them back under a new job title but on £9000 a year less. They also want them to use their own vehicles to get to work sites, this when fuel is at its highest. They will also be pooled when currently they are part of the team. The press are painting this to be about pay above all else. It is not. But now we’ve said sod them we are going to demand better. I wish everyone could see past the government controlled media smear.

429nufc

Proposed strikes.
I wonder what clean hand job he had?
I lived for a couple of years with the rail line from Cleveland Potash mine aT the foot of the garden. The speed and weight of the train shook the house, I d want a 7 foot giant testing the rails not a drone inspecting them

Saoirse

Proposed strikes.
Theres been some right old establishment chinless wonders spouting hypocritical guff in response to this fully justified strike but I particularly enjoyed the Bank of England governor stating " we all need to show wage restraint "

His salary....600k plus bonuses

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Proposed strikes.

Man beats rail strike by paddling to work in £74 kayak​

Extract:
"I would encourage everyone to find different means of commuting to work and ditch the public transport and cars," George Bullard says.

A man has beaten the rail strike by paddling to work - in a shirt and tie.

George Bullard, 33, spent £74 on an inflatable kayak and said it had saved him "thousands".

The small yellow and black craft is "blow-up, I can just deflate it and put it in my backpack", he added.

Proposed strikes.
well under 10 years of labor government people enjoyed an 18% growth in income in real terms, they introduced the minimum wage. The government managed to significantly reduce poverty in the UK (child poverty was reduced by 50%) without raising taxes, but NI was increased and dividends tax was doubled for people claiming this as income (Something which doubled my tax bill from 10% to 20% but I thought was entirely justified at the time)

It was a labor government that rejected the Euro Zone and kept the £

It as a labor government that signed the good Friday agreement

It was a labor government that supported the devolution of Scotland

It was a labor government that came up with the Civil Partnership agreement allowing for gay marriage, and reduced the age of consent for gay sex to 16 in line with heterosexual partnerships thus keeping gays off the sexual offender's list for under 21s having consensual gay sex. they also were the first government to legislate in favor of Transgender people with the Gender Recognition Act 2004

It was labor who came up with gender-equal employment rights equal pay for women etc.

It was Labor who introduced tax credits for the poorest people including this on low incomes

It was labor that extended protections to workers with children with the Employment Act 2002

It was labor who started Postal voting

It was labor who abolished hereditary peers in the house of Lords

They removed the power of government to directly change interest rates and handed that power to the Bank of England whilst at the same time removing powers from the BoE and transferring them to the Financial Services Authority

And this is just some brief highlights and pretty much all of this was in their first term in office. !!!!
Makes me wonder why they’re still not in power after all that success 😂 or was it just the Iraq War?

Mushroom

Proposed strikes.
I wonder what clean hand job he had?
I lived for a couple of years with the rail line from Cleveland Potash mine aT the foot of the garden. The speed and weight of the train shook the house, I d want a 7 foot giant testing the rails not a drone inspecting them
The drone would at best be an 'industrial grade, so heavier and larger than a typical hobbyist version.
Better to cope with gusty winds but still having to cope with overhead electrical cables which are extensive on many routes.
To be efficiently used it would ideally have to observe track at human level, a decent zoom lens could do the trick but to what level of precision?
Also, going over a track which goes under a bridge results in the loss of signal between drone and radio controller in many instances, so it would not work within anything other than a very short bridge and the controller would most likely have to be at track level to maintain a signal - he might as well check the track himself while he is there?
National grid used to use helicopters to check the pylons and connections but now use drones.
Much cheaper and the drone flies above the power lines, with no problems.
I can see problems checking tracks.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Proposed strikes.
Top Bottom