cazywazy

Private health insurance
Hi i live in Fethiye and was wondering if anyone bought private health insurance recently and where the best place to go is please.
Someone said Axa is good and another said Yapi Credit is good.
Anyone got any other good insurances and roughly how much for an individual please.
Been here nearly a year and a half and its about time i seriously thought about getting some.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Private health insurance
I know there will be some who say that we must be crazy but we've lived here 5 years and have never had health insurance.

If and when any member of the family has needed treatment we've always gone to the Devlet (Government) Hospital at Calis and paid for treatment. We've always had excellent, quick and low-cost treatment.

There's a "can we help you desk" just inside the main entrance that's manned by English speaking staff and, once you've mastered the strange admin system that they have there, it's very easy to get things sorted out.

As an example, a member of the family has been having treatment there recently and the service they've received is far better and prompt than we could have expected in the UK. A procedure in an operating theatre involving 2 doctors, 3 nurses, an orderly and a translator lasting 30 minutes, and the biopsy that followed it, cost around 220TL including painkillers and a course of antibiotics.

After arriving there for a 9am follow-up appointment today at 8.50, they were treated, paid their 15.50 TL bill and were on their way back home in less than 45 minutes.

Last edited:

traveller

Private health insurance
Agree with KKOB, we've been here 2 years with no health insurance, I recently had an abcess under my lower eyelid, went to a private clinic but ended up at the eye hospital at Patlangic for an operation. Proper theatre, surgeon, full staff, all done and dusted within half an hour of walking in, cost 200 TL. Must admit the clinic cost me 100 TL as well, so in future it will be the Devlet for me. We see no reason to pay out insurance premiums, just put a bit of money to one side in case you need hospitalisation.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Private health insurance
It all depends on the nature of the op that you need and what consultants or surgeons are on duty at the time.

Private health insurance
However a word of warning hubby dislocated a shoulder when in Bodrum 3 years ago, he had had this once before so knew the procedure, he wanted it put back under a local.

The doctor would not see him in the private hospital unless we paid £500.00 up front on the visa card, then another 200 pounds before discharged. they then went on to say he had to be put under and it would require 2 orthopedic surgeons, so they did it, he was out within a couple of hours, and we were to fly home the next day, he did not feel good but we put it down to the procedurer, he was having trouble with shortness of breath, to cut story short flew home next day took him to hospital as an emergency, he got a typical pneumonia, this is because when the put him out they did not empty his stomuch when they pull the tube out they put his stomuch contentens into his lungs, this resulted in nearlly killing him, he spent a week in hospital and then a further 6 weeks recovering at home.

I worry about health care now in Turkey, but hey this is just our experience, did have to take grandchild to the local hospital this year with a minor problem got seen quick, was cheap and we were very happy, so who knows.

I have to agree though put money to the side and pay as you go, they will even barter there price my hubby was first going to be charged 800.00 pounds I query this so they reduced it.

UK not much better I had to pay for a life saving operation earlier this year for myself as there was no room at the inn in Milton Keynes hospital

regards

Madeleine

Latest Posts

Top Bottom