tazzyj

Price of apartment
Hi all. Just a quick question from the newbie. The area is Mahmutlar.

What would you say is a fair price for a 2 bed, 2 bath (I think), lounge, kitchen, 2 balconies. It is not complete, in that it still needs to be painted and kitchen cupboards complete and a bit of other work. It is a resale.

Is 40-45k euros decent?

It has a sea view, although over some other house in front. and is about 250m from sea.

If you made an offer, do you not go lower than 5%. The agent refused to take an offer lower than 5% of the selling price.

I hate feeling like we have been scammed, if we were...but you learn from experience.

Thanks all

Mushtaq

Administrator
Price of apartment
A lot depends on the location, other properties in the area and the property itself. I don't know the area but we have a few members who are familiar with that area, hopefully they could give you better idea.

Price of apartment
Hi Tazzj
it depends how old it is too..you say its a resale and it sounds like it needs doing up...
you have to be careful because property built before 2000 didnt have the same regulations as they implemented in the early 2000's
there are brand new places in Tosmur for that price...and Tosmur is nearer Alanya..Mahmutlar is 15 kilometres from the centre and in winter its a village...ie theres little there.

tazzyj

Price of apartment
Thanks guys. As far as I know, it was built in 2004 but no one has lived in it. It was handed over by developer to owner in this condition and he did nothing with it.

I don't trust the agent who handled this. I had enquired about a property I LOVED on his website about 2 weeks ago. He told me it was available and since then, I had made all the necessary travel arrangements for my husband to get out there to view it.

Anyways, just before hubby left, I asked again about that particular place and he assured me it was there and that he planned to take hubby to view it.

Funny thing happened after that.....my hubby arrived and was picked up at airport by agent who then took him to view some places in Side and then they did some sightseeing and then got to Alanya in the afternoon, but instead of taking him to view the place I liked, he took him to look out point and the beach. Then at dinner that night, he mentioned to my husband that the property sold that day, while they were sightseeing!!! I thought, how convenient.

Anyways, I was very upset, to the point where I told hubby not to buy from the bloke. But this guy had place that hubby thought was decent. So hubby put in offer on this place and agent said he would not go lower than 5% of asking price. And I have all the refurbishment to sort out so will be asking loads of questions then.

That was blurb of all my Turkish experience. I am sure it will get better.

Ciao
T

Guz1

Price of apartment
Just my opinion, but looks like that agent is using the kind of tactics that give the Turkish property market a bad name. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Forget the agent and whatever property he is selling and thank your lucky stars that your husband didn't give him any money. There's no shortage of agents or properties for sale in Turkey.......just take your time, do a bit more research and don't part with any money until both you and your husband are absolutely sure that you have found the right place at the right price for you.

Martyn

Price of apartment
Hi all. Just a quick question from the newbie. The area is Mahmutlar.

What would you say is a fair price for a 2 bed, 2 bath (I think), lounge, kitchen, 2 balconies. It is not complete, in that it still needs to be painted and kitchen cupboards complete and a bit of other work. It is a resale.

Is 40-45k euros decent?

It has a sea view, although over some other house in front. and is about 250m from sea.

If you made an offer, do you not go lower than 5%. The agent refused to take an offer lower than 5% of the selling price.

I hate feeling like we have been scammed, if we were...but you learn from experience.

Thanks all

Walk away if they won't take a bit of a drop in price, it's a buyers market. I bet if it was a local Turk the price would come down.

L

les&Tasha

Price of apartment
Tazzj,

There hundreds and hundreds of apartments for sale in Mahmutler. I know I could buy a 100sqm apartment in the condition you describe for TL50,000 (yes £20,000!) I would never buy such an apartment, let me expain why. When a building doesn't sell the developers start renting out the units to local people. I could rustle up the keys to 20+ apartments in a morning and the monthly rent for a two bedroom unit would be no more than TL500 a month (yes -£50 per week!). Many properties in Mahmutler drop as low as TL 300 pm.

Now ask yourself a question what sort of people live in property which rents for this type of money? Do you reckon they are the type of people you want to live amongst?? Do you think your flat screen TV will still be in the living room when you arrive for your next holiday???

The value of an apartment in depends on the building. I can take you to buildings in Mahmutler which make the infamous council flats in Hulme Manchester appear well maintained havens of tranquilty...

A 2 bedroom apartment in a good building (i.e. one where you would want to live) costs between Euro 70,000 to 120,000 Euro depending on location. On the edge of town will be cheaper but harder to resell. Alanya castle rock will be expensive but will hold its value well - after all there is going to be virtually no new building there...

Fools and their money are soon parted. You appear to have met a guy who makes his living this way. Have you paid a deposit? If you have I bet you only signed a simple contract in English and paid the money to the emlak.

A few simple questions -

Did you meet the owner and did he sign the contract? Was the contract notorized?Have you seen the tapu?? Have you been to the Tapu Cadestre to check the tapu is real??? Have you seen the habitation certificate????

If the answers to any of the above are no then you are in trouble. I suggest you consider writing off the deposit you paid. It will certainly be the cheapest option in the long run.

You need to spend several weeks here to find a suitable property at the right price. The best option is to look around and rent first. A years rent will be around the same money that you have just parted with as a deposit. After living (or visiting regularly for a year) you will learn the ropes and make a far better purchase than the one you have just made.

I mean no personal offence by the above but we have seen dozens of people reamed in the way you describe and this post is partly a warning for other people who read this thread.

Price of apartment
i have to agree with les and Tash..and personally i wouldnt touch a property in Mahmutar even at the lowest price and in the best parts..but thats my opinion about the place itself.
From what i can glean from your post it looks as if you have entered into some sort of agreement with the seller, which is a bit rash given the time period. İf its not too late walk away.A property that has stood empty for 5 years is likely to be in the worst part of Mahmutlar, and this is a place that has mushroomed over the last 14 years..yet the infrastructure hasn't kept pace with the amount of building. Be careful.

stephie

Stephie
Price of apartment
Hi, We are just in the process of buying an apartment near Antalya. The agent is duty bound to submit whatever bid you put forward. We were a bit cheeky, put in a low one that wasn't accepted, went slightly higher and that was accepted - less than the asking price and within our budget - don't ask you don't get!
Good luck,

Stephie.

B

biskit4444

Price of apartment
price of apartment

im going to put my ground floor 2 bed apt in didim up for sale. fully furnished,aircon,cctv,lifts,intercom, underground carpark,overlooking pool,4-5 star property,bought and built aug 2008. lovely finish,with coving,2 mins shops,bars,5 mins beach,beautiful built up area,no scrubland,tapu to be picked up when out in july,and hab certificate to be collected,never been stopped in,putting airvents in when out their,will try put some pictures together soon,family want to sell.£45,000.

Last edited:
L

les&Tasha

Price of apartment
Hi

I did 5 mins of research on the internet. Here is a £20K flat in Mahmutler -

ALANYA MAHMUTLAR SIFIR DAİRE KAÇIRMAYIN.50,000 TL Satılık Daire Alanya Mahmutlar #101291- Emlak Jet

2 beds, 95 sqm, Sea view and in the town centre!

Always search in Turkish if you want to get a real idea of prices. If it is on the web in English and priced in GBP or Euro then it will be way too expensive! Often double the price a Turk would pay. (TL=Euro)

On bargaining. It is a way of life here! Anyone who gets huffy and says that is the price! just say OK, sell it to someone else I have lots of other apartments to view, other emlaks to visit. Keep a smile on your face and deal! Always keep it friendly. Ask for lowest price then say Oh! that is too much ;) Remember negotiations can go on for days...

Many British people are shy and get flustered/angry, you won't get anywhere that way. Make the decision with your head not your heart. Be "Saf" (Street Wise) as they say in Turkish. I reckon a deal can be done around 80% of a reasonable asking price at the moment. It is a buyers market!

Les

jumbo

Price of apartment
Hi

I did 5 mins of research on the internet. Here is a £20K flat in Mahmutler -

ALANYA MAHMUTLAR SIFIR DAİRE KAÇIRMAYIN.50,000 TL Satılık Daire Alanya Mahmutlar #101291- Emlak Jet

2 beds, 95 sqm, Sea view and in the town centre!

Always search in Turkish if you want to get a real idea of prices. If it is on the web in English and priced in GBP or Euro then it will be way too expensive! Often double the price a Turk would pay. (TL=Euro)

On bargaining. It is a way of life here! Anyone who gets huffy and says that is the price! just say OK, sell it to someone else I have lots of other apartments to view, other emlaks to visit. Keep a smile on your face and deal! Always keep it friendly. Ask for lowest price then say Oh! that is too much ;) Remember negotiations can go on for days...

Many British people are shy and get flustered/angry, you won't get anywhere that way. Make the decision with your head not your heart. Be "Saf" (Street Wise) as they say in Turkish. I reckon a deal can be done around 80% of a reasonable asking price at the moment. It is a buyers market!

Les
The information you guys have put on here is absolutely spot on. All over Turkey the same applies be carefull, Haggle, Do not be embarassed, & take your time, Write off the cost of your first trip, Come back again & yes you will need a week to check area is suitable also try different Emlaks.
Good Luck
Jumbo

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Price of apartment
Hi Tazzij There are many Apts Villas ect for sale on this forum owned by members . And of course Crescent Homes . If i were you i'd cut my losses . I have spent 4 summers in Alanya and Shirleyanntr is Correct Mahmutar is'nt a good area . Take the good advice given by other members . They Dont want you to be scammed . This is an old trick that the agents play on what they call the NEW FISH . It means you are a prime target to be Caught !!!! . My husband is Turkish he as always said Buy Direct from the Owner be it English or Turkish BUT get a laywer first in a different Town . You say your sure it will get better . Sorry i don't think it will . But chin up It will get better If you follow peoples advice . Take your time Dont rush . Good Luck Diane

Price of apartment
Be "Saf" (Street Wise) as they say in Turkish.

Actually Les&Tash 'saf means the opposite of streetwise..it means anything from simple simon country bumpkin to innocent and naive .

.the word for streetwise is KURNAZ..

B

biskit4444

Price of apartment
Re: price of apartment

Why do yo want to sell Biskit?

always hearing on forum about extra fees for this and that,bought as investment,but people saying if you rent against price of bills,then theirs no gain,cant be bothered with all you hear about scams and always something to add on when you think its plain sailing,just now wish i never bought,im doing all chasing as other investers doing nothing,3 of us bought together as family members,but not working out,will ask builder to sell when i go over,only thing is capital gains tax i will pay because of early sale.

L

les&Tasha

Price of apartment
Shirley,

Of course you are right. I said the opposite Turkish word. My wife is always telling me that I only open my mouth to exchange feet :redface:

Les

B

biskit4444

Price of apartment
Re: price of apartment

Only if you sell at a profit. Dont mark the price up.

thanks,but obviously i would have to go over the paid price because of furniture price paid,or negociate seperate for furniture as never been stayed in.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom