reergd

Price increases or Rip offs
Having just returned from the Bodrum area it is a hard fact that people presently buying to furnish there Apts , houses etc are paying highly inflated prices compared to what was being charged Feb / March this year

A few examples.

3 seater + 2 single seater for lounge:

Feb price 1450 Euro , price last week for same model 1860 Euro.

1 x double bed , 1 x 3 door wardrobe , 2 x bedside tables 1 x dresser

Feb Price 1500 Euro , price last week 1775 Euro..

1 x glass / chrome nest of tables

Feb Price 99 Euro Price last week.. 159 Euro.

Various curtains for Apt:

Feb Price 425 Euro Price last week 550 Euro

I made my feeling on this total rip off know to the shops concerned ( wallet stayed in my pocket) and would urge others when in the same situation to make there feeling known also.

I am not saying all traders in the Bodrum area are guilty but out of the 6 that we dealt with in Feb 6 had hughly increased prices last week !!

Cheers Dave.

Gail

When are they going to learn? I certainly wouldn't have bought off them neither Dave. We paid (3 yrs ago) less than £600 for a 3 seater, 2 seater and 2 chairs and it's good quality stuff. I would travel up to Izmir with no problems to get a good deal, it's not that far to go.

Gail

Mike Lambourne

Arcade Game Nut!
I agree Gail

Went to Izmir not long ago and got some great prices on furniture with a discount when you buy more than one item as well!!

Mike

petenic

Talk about taking advantage, it's a shame. Thanks for the info Dave, Gail and Mike.

We are going out to furnish our apartments in Altinkum in August, we had been thinking of going to Izmir but were worrying about the fact that neither of us can speak Turkish (only know very basic) and had heard you need to speak Turkish to get good prices in Izmir? We thought with Altinkum being a holiday resort all the shop owners will speak English and it would be easier communication wise etc.

Any advice on buying furniture in Izmir (delivery, which shops to visit etc) would be truly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nicki and Pete

Martyn

Petenic

Go to Site Mobilya in Altinkum for fair prices. Believe me i was ripped off and the prices Site charged for EXACTLY the same products I bought elsewhere(Engil Mobilya) were far cheaper.

Same products(cheaper is Site)

Kettle £10 ----£23
Bed £120------£170
Plastic patio table and chairs £65-----£175

and so on.

Haluk is a smashing bloke as well and speaks good English. Family run business as well. There is nothing in it for me only to see no one else get ripped off.

Email me if you want further info.

dazkad

hi Guys

Will be travelling to Bodrum in September to try and get most of the furnishings for villa I bought in Gumusluk. Any tips or recommended outlets greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
Darren

Gail

Hi Darren and welcome, we have a place in Turgutreis, we had most of our furniture made in Islamhaneleri (next to Gumusluk) it was a really good price. If you look at our website you will see the wooden furniture on it.

www.olivegrovevilla.co.uk

We bought our sofas from a local shop in Turgutreis, Metro is brilliant, you can go in and get a day pass, the prices are very good. Kos Tas is very reasonable also.

Gail :happy:

carol

Hi Darren,i would totally agree with gail Metro is fantastic for your white goods ,bedding ,kitchenware ,tv ect very good prices,Kos tas is like our B&q and good prices.they are both on the main roadto Bodrum atOrkatent. we went to Milas for our furniture and any furniture we bought locallya friend went in and purchased it for us ,so that helped .hope you get on ok. i must admit the prices Gail paid for her furniture are the best so far and really looks excellant quality cheers Carol

Gail

Hiya Carol

I forgot about Milas :der: I think Milas is cheaper than shopping locally isn't it Carol?

Darren won't go wrong going to Metro though eh? Tesco has opened up next door but I forget the name of it.

Gail :happy:

petenic

Martyn

Thank you very much for the information you posted regarding furniture in Altinkum. Also thanks for the offer of further info we will drop you a line over the weekend.

Pete and Nicki

spanner

On this site there is a piece that i wrote on my experiance with Engin Mobilia please read and make up your own mind. I would rather pay a bit more and have good service.
Spanner

Mag

Hi Darren and welcome.

We bought a place in Turgutreis in May of this year, and totally agree with Gail and Carol, you cant go wrong with Metro and Koc Tas. Metro is shopper's paradise! Its like a cash and carry and you will need someone to give you the use of a store card in order to purchase stuff there. They are easy enough to come by. We bought our electrical goods in Arcelik in Bodrum. The staff had quited good English and the service was good. Most of our furniture we bought from a shop called Beganvil Ltd, it's on the left hand side of the main road heading out of Bodrum. They have some lovely stuff and make a lot of their furniture to order. While they were a little bit dearer than some of the other shops, we felt for the extra quality it was worth it. They are very nice to deal with and their delivery service was spot on. You will have great fun furnishing your place. We are going back out in 3 weeks time and I can't wait to hit the shops again!

Mag

Mag you can go in to Metro now without a card, they give you a day pass at the reception as you go in :)

Last edited by a moderator:

dazkad

Thanks everyone for your assistance. I am looking forward to my shopping trip.

I had heard previously hat Metro had stopped issuing day passes, but i'll go along anyway.

Thanks again
Darren

charlie

Hi Dazkad

You do not need day passes to get into Metro / Kos Tas anyone can shop

If you want to get stuff from Bodrum try the shops at the side of the road after the oasis center near the road to Gumbet (not in the center) you would need to get off the bus on the dual carriage before you get to bodrum center - there is a disco across the road, His place is like a massive shed and his prices were great did not even haggle that much - got 2 king size base, 1 king size mattress and 1 single mattress, they delivered it to Gumuskaya and assembled it all. Sorry I can not give you a name or be more specific.

The guy next door does big bean bags and sun bed mattress cheap to. - again this guy only speaks Turkish and when we asked for a larger bean bag he kept taking money off - he obviously thought we were haggling
We got 4 bean bags,2 sun mattresses and 4 large cushions for about £120

Last edited:

merlin

To end the confusion.... Izmir do not do day passes and are very strict, somewhat more it seems than Bodrum.

Merv!

Hi Gail
Your furniture does look great. Has anyone on the forum has bought from the same place recently. I'm out in June and reading about the price rises I just wondered if the owner has put his prices up or if its still a good deal.
Thanks Rob

pebble

It never ceases to amaze me how the locals think that they can get away with increasing their price for no other reason than greed.
This is true with everything, not just the price of housing, furniture etc., restaurants have gone crazy. paying 4 lira for a glass of tea????? come on....
first of all, because bodrum is a resort town, everything is higher. (except for the local bazaar, but even that is higher in Bodrum than ortakent as an example.....)

I am sorry to say that it is the influx of foreign money that has come in that has caused the increase in prices. What do you think the locals think of this?
because in some cases the locals are stuck paying these prices cause the vendor ways, buy it or leave it, i'll have a foreign customer buying it if you dont.
this is the mentality that prevails here in Bodrum. We pay tourist prices for just about everything, if we want to pay regular price we have to go to Izmir, and with gas at these prices, it costs over 100 lira to drive up there, then the hassle, the time and the energy, we just give up and pay the higher prices.
We were in Istanbul last month, and looking at plasma tvs, it's cheaper for us to buy one there, have it UPS'ed down, hire someone to install, than it is to buy it here. when you are looking at big ticket items like this (6,000 to 8,000 lira), sometimes that is our best option.
It used to be that things got back to a reasonable price when the tourist season passed, but not anymore......
Because the foreigner accepts these prices, they keep going up....

when I say foreigner, I dont mean just you people, the russians are big spenders, they dont mind paying these prices. When they buy houses, they buy huge places, usually they buy the land and have a villa built, and I mean a villa in the true sense of the word, and they dont dicker on the price.

As for shopping here, your best bet is places like Koctas, metro, kipa. But for furniture you still have to use local people who yes...do jack up the prices when they see a foreigner coming.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom