Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Presidential Tour of Turkey (Cycling)
The tour kicked off yesterday and it was a real treat to watch the 1st stage on Eurosport after I'd got home from a day at the office.

The only English rider is James Knox, riding for Quick Step Floors and 2 Irishmen, Nick Roche with B.M.C. along with Sam Bennet with Boro.
Peter Sagan's brother Juraj is with Boro and although he didn't feature very much in the 1st leg, it would be great to see him carry the Sagan name through to maybe take a stage later in the week.

The 2 commentators are brilliant as they really 'bounce' off each other. The one's a total nutcase at times, on a planet all of his own and the other guy's the leveller. As the riders were getting towards Konya yesterday, the slightly nutty guy seemed to think Kılıstra was much the same as Stanage Edge near Hathersage in Derbyshire!! Having come from that area of The Peak District, I'm still trying to find a real likeness but each to their own I guess?

Today's stage is from Alanya - Antalya and in years before, they've come straight down Side Blv. past our office so I'm hoping they're not going to shoot straight up the D400 this time.
We'll soon know, if they're coming this way, the local police will be along to ask us all to move our cars. No problem, we can enjoy the fly past!! :dance:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I saw this a few years ago in Bodrum. You are right, the police clear the streets in advance, They were still filling potholes at the finish line with a wheelbarrow and tarmac an hour before the pelaton arrived.

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
They've just whizzed past the office in fine style.
I saw Juraj about 5th in the pelaton, plenty of support vehicles and motorbikes, along with a Camera Helicopter overhead. Quite exciting really.

The local school was out lining part of the blv, every student given a Turkish Flag so they were all shouting for the Turkish National Team like they were shouting for their favourite football team.

All good stuff! Love it!! :biggrin:

Camden

Turks with money certainly are taking up sports and other outdoor activities.

We arrived in Bodrum Sat to see the next day the Bodrum half marathon which was well attended and on speaking to some they said they filled a full quotas with more turned down ... wish I had known it was on as would liked to have taken part .We were told it is so popular that they also do one in Spring April as well called the Global run I think ,so next year might take part in one if I can ,time willing.

On the Sunday run there was many stalls selling sports and organic related products but quite expensive for the regular Turk I would think.

Has/Will the Presidential cycling be passing/past Bodrum or are the stages different each year ?

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Nowhere near Bodrum this year , Yatagan probably nearest .

Steve

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Has/Will the Presidential cycling be passing/past Bodrum or are the stages different each year ?

Stage 4 (Friday) they ride Marmaris - Selçuk so it doesn't look like they're going by Bodrum this year.

If you fancy a day out in Kuşadasi this Friday, you could catch them as they fly by there though. :hippie:

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
As usual, I was up early this morning I watched the replay of yesterday's stage that took the race into Selçuk. Absolutely fabulous!!

Having lived in Kuşadasi for the best part of 12 years before moving back down here to Side 9 years ago, I recocnised each and every part of the course as I've driven many times between the 2 places over recent years.

My 'nutcase' commentator really came into his own and his obvious love for this country really shone through. He really did a first class job as regards giving good references to any viewer that might be considering a holiday out here.
The street foods are amazing, he said. The Turkish people are so hospitable and will welcome you back endlessly over the years, many ruins of buildings that the Romans left behind are open and free for you to ramble around.
Then, he came to talk about Ephesus. 3000yrs ago, Underfloor Heating? No problem. Cavity Wall Insulation? No problem he says, they even built walls within the main walls of The Library at Ephesus so that the books would keep dry.
It's now €7 to go into Ephesus, he said. Following that up with, it's the best €7 you'll ever spend.

Add to that the overhead shots from the Helicopter cameras, I was totally captivated. Apollo's Temple at Didym, Alinda, the Chariot Race-Track at Magnesia, Selçuk Castle, and of course Ephesus. I've been endless times to all these places but to see them from the air was almost mindblowing.

The whole programme was marvelous. The racing was good, the scenery was absolutely fabulous and my 'nutcase' commentator definately deserved bonus points. :hippie:

abba

Canuck
Try watching on TRT and you will avoid Kirby and his inane comments but the scenery is as spectacular and the commentary appropriate.

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Try watching on TRT and you will avoid Kirby and his inane comments but the scenery is as spectacular and the commentary appropriate.

You say that but I really enjoy all his little 'bits on the side'.
The other guy with him, definately called Brian, maybe Brian Smith, is absolutely the right person to bring everything back to topic. I think they work really well together on the cycling tours and also the other sports that they cover. Between them they make me smile, as well as keeping me aware of what's going on.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom