sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Present for circumcission
My friend has been invited to the "festivities" for a circumcission.....What would be the proper gift for such an occasion ?
Is it common to give money, do you also give something to the parents, or just a gift for the boy himself and what kind of gift then ?
What would be the amount you have to spend for this ?

Thanks for any suggestions.....

PASH

Suggest a painkillers for the boy and a gold nugget for the parents

ChrisBobs

The standard gift is the small gold 'coin' with a red / blue ribbon that is pinned on to the boy's shirt sometime in the evening, when people line up to do it- starting with the relatives who might give more- a watch, a chain, big notes of money.
Money can also be given- pinned on - 20 is enough, 50 is becoming generous.
The gold coin is sold at any local gold jewellers that caters for local Turkish trade. You can recognise them by the large number of plain gold bangles old- as these shops are for wedding gold too , and the coins are the same .
In fact celebrations for circumcisions are also called 'Düğün' - same as wedding celebrations- that is how impoırtant they are.

hijo

in my own clique
... yes we attended one a few weeks ago a got a gold coin..i think we paid around 70ytl for it ..in total ..emir ..our friends grandson got arout 60 pinned on him...lucky boy...:roundgrin

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Cynically, we've found that the more people invited (even vague aquaintances), the more cash/coins etc the 'lucky' child receives. The same is the process for weddings.

We don't bother with either now, unless very close friends.

hijo

in my own clique
..have to agree there Val ..the only reason i went to this one is ,we have known this family for 23 years hopefully wont be going to another one ..everyone was so bored even the little boy..as soon as the henna bit was over..you would have thought a fire bell went off.. but at the end of the day its a turkish tradition..:roundgrin

tytots

My grandson aged 10 wanted to be circumsised as all his turkish friends are, for him I think it's was the same as wanting the lastest pair of trainers like the kids do back in the UK. Anyway he went to a circumssion party..............GUESS WHAT!....... he would rather have a new pair of trainers.

My grandson aged 10 wanted to be circumsised as all his turkish friends are, for him I think it's was the same as wanting the lastest pair of trainers like the kids do back in the UK. Anyway he went to a circumssion party..............GUESS WHAT!....... he would rather have a new pair of trainers.

Love it!!!

Top Bottom