Scarwulf

Power cables in Bodrum
HI,

I have bought a new villa in Yalikavak and there is a wooden post carrying a power cable right in front of my villa, see attached photo. When I asked the agent about this I was told that the cable would be relayed underground.

The villa was just about complete around Christmas but I could see that the pole and cable were still there. The agent said the builder had contacted the government and it would be moved after March.

As the end of March is nigh I enquired whether there was a firm date for the removal and was told the builder was talking to the Mayors office. I asked what it had to do with the mayor and was told that the Mayors office is involved with all the electric and water supplies and right now all cables in Bodrum were being moved underground. My agent says he can't tell me exactly when my cable will be moved but there is a deadline for the project to be completed so I shouldn't have to worry about the cable for much longer.

This situation has posed a few questions and I thought it easier to ask the forum members than continue through my agent.:-

1) Does the Mayors office own the cables?

2) Who will move the pole, the mayors office, there contractors or my builder?

3) To move all cables underground would seem to be an immense undertaking, does anyone know the finish date?

4) Will this work stop during the summeri.e if not done before the summer will I have to wait until the autumn.

Sorry to go on at length but it is a little difficult finding all the answers from my agent who basically tells me not to worry. Every time I get an answer it poses more questions.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 116

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Power cables in Bodrum
That doesn't look like a power cable - more like one of the poles they have telephony wires on but presumably you should know better than me :)

We have also heard that power cables are going underground and İ am aware of it being done in Bodrum near a newly built school. But usually things like this are long-term projects so don't hold out too much hope that it will move in the next few weeks but İ hope so.

We have the same problems in front of our apartment which is being built and İ will enquire at the council office next week and let you know what they say (ours is in Kudur Yalikavak)

Attachments

• tn_100_0145.JPG
    tn_100_0145.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 77
  • tn_100_0148.JPG
    tn_100_0148.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 63

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Power cables in Bodrum
Doesn't look like electricity cable to me either !

Mr Turkey

Power cables in Bodrum
Hope this is of some comfort -

Without being able to answer all of the other questions I can confidently say this :-

The mayor's Office is the "Daddy" ! Following all of the problems around planning issues ( aka the whitehouse scandals ) the Jandarma imprisoned numerous local govt officials for dubious practices.

Oversight now falls to the Mayor's Office, and boy do the others jump.

Last edited:

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Power cables in Bodrum
My husband nipped in the Belediye yesterday and moving them underground is on their agenda with priority areas being near schools. No more information forthcoming on when exactly though.

john wike

Power cables in Bodrum
I suppose that there are problems like this one all over Tukey. Especialy where a area is facing massive redevelopment. We have heard similar promises in Kalkan, & it seems a bit like, "pass the excuse." If its not electric / phone cables its Sewerage / Water pipes. The biggy we are facing is, Toilet tanks that have been built with no outlets. Thereby creating the problem now of "hunt the toilet tank." The biggest laugh recently is the Belediye in Kalkan recently laid a main sewer down one of the main roads, then they reinstated the block paving. But they made such a good job that now they have come back to make and lay all the connections. Guess what they cant find the pipe, & when we last saw them they were fretfully trying here there & wherever. Then they aquired a detector from somewhere, wich will be allright untill the bateries run out or someone tries to use it as a crowbar!! KEEP SMILING....ITS THE ONLY OPTION!!

Andywebb

Power cables in Bodrum
I do not know what you are complaining about, our communual pool has its own power supply!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: As far as I am aware this unit has been their for the last 10 years.

poolpylonzi8.jpg

re -posted as I put in wrong thread originally

Power cables in Bodrum
lovely pic Andy..looks like one of those chairs the tennis umpire sits on..and a super view..is that here or in Spain
whoops..bit liek you today andy..getting my wires crossed :)

Scarwulf

Power cables in Bodrum
Thanks for all the advice.

I have just returned from Yalikavak and you are right they are telephone cables, do they also fall under the jurisdiction of the Mayor?

I can't believe all power cables in Bodrum are going underground, especially as the supply to my complex has just been installed - overhead cables on brand new posts with spare capacity for other developments that are in progress.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Power cables in Bodrum
İ suspect it won't happen everywhere but heard Bodrum and Yalikavak were making noises about it. New schools should have their power cables sunk as they build.

We never believed we would see an end to septic tanks and a real sewer system would arrive but the council have been working their butts off getting it all done and eventually it will be up and running. Yalikavak council really have smartened things up in the past few years and deserve a pat on the back.

You never know we may soon see half-decent roads being built as well :)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom