Hilsjw

Poverty ?
Our son was in court last week (as a witness ) he had to stay the night in an hotel in Bradford. He decided to take a walk after dinner and spotted a man eating cat food out of the can with his hands. I was so shocked I can't get it out of my mind.

Kanga

Poverty ?
In the 50's catfood was called Jamaican salmon where I lived in the Midlands. black pudding sausages had a ruder name, it was known as Smethwick d!ck.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Poverty ?
Our son was in court last week (as a witness ) he had to stay the night in an hotel in Bradford. He decided to take a walk after dinner and spotted a man eating cat food out of the can with his hands. I was so shocked I can't get it out of my mind.

I am appalled, people should sit down as a family and use a knife and fork! Where are standards going?

Ian

Hilsjw

Poverty ?
By law dog & cat food must be fit for human consumption. I guess that's because most pet food is eaten on the floor & easy for young children to try it !

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Poverty ?
It is a shocker when you see itinerant folk bin dipping for an immediate something to eat , saw it repeatedly when working the streets as a London based motorcycle courier . Some food emporiums left food out for free , hygenically wrapped , after closing for the day , but the Law stopped it by ticketing them for littering , a charitable act kiboshed by officialdom . How sad .

Steve

evo80

Poverty ?

I remember a made up song ,back in the 60s sang to the tune of Belafontes island in the sun .I know all the verses ,but one of them was .
White man why you look so sad ,we got plenty of room in Trinidad,every day you will grow fat eating tin after tin of kit e Kat .
My black friends I worked with on the car assembly line were always getting me to sing the whole song and they laughed .
Prob not the done thing these days.PS that verse is the chorus.

Last edited:

Camden

Poverty ?
Seeing someone eating pet food may look disgusting but more in our imagination, as actually nutritious.

Seeing it though seems indicative of this Governments lack of any real compassion and welfare for its citizens .... as seen by the flourish and need for food banks and charities help , in the worlds 6th richest country.

Sometimes we care more for the welfare of our animals than our fellow humans. I am surprised though this homeless person chose to eat pet food as some pet foods cost more than regular food ,he would have been better off eating a cheaper product like a tin of beans..

Pet food Companies knowing we want only the best for our pets and want to see their Pet's food to be nutritious..... so actually use Human tasters on new products

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephenlaconte/i-just-found-out-that-dog-food-gets-taste-tested-by-humans

kemerkid

Bystander
Poverty ?
The baked beans suggestion reminds me of my biker days. Before setting off for Spain we used to pack three tins of Heinz and a spoon in our tank bags. The bikes tool kit was used to get at the beans.
Hmmm happy days.

Poverty ?
Seeing someone eating pet food may look disgusting but more in our imagination, as actually nutritious.

Seeing it though seems indicative of this Governments lack of any real compassion and welfare for its citizens .... as seen by the flourish and need for food banks and charities help , in the worlds 6th richest country.

Sometimes we care more for the welfare of our animals than our fellow humans. I am surprised though this homeless person chose to eat pet food as some pet foods cost more than regular food ,he would have been better off eating a cheaper product like a tin of beans..

Pet food Companies knowing we want only the best for our pets and want to see their Pet's food to be nutritious..... so actually use Human tasters on new products

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephenlaconte/i-just-found-out-that-dog-food-gets-taste-tested-by-humans

I wonder with us being the 6th richest country, if the 5 above us have any issues with poverty & homelessness in their prosperous nations?

It was only a thought......

shash

shash
Poverty ?
It's a national disgrace for any country who has people going hungry through poverty. It's outrageous. However it's sad to say but many not all choose to be homeless and prefer money for drugs including alcohol. So many good people who give money or food are being totally exploited. Some unscrupulous beggars have stolen dogs to help play on people's kindness. What's even more outrageous are the ones that come into town (London) and work the streets begging and after a hard days begging get on the train having stripped off their jelabah to reveal their western clothes.... bundle the baby in the push chair and go back to their homes in the surrounding suburbs where you see the Mercedes or such like on the driveway.
Once my daughter gave a guy her unopened mac d and he told her .... to go forth and multiply. .. Another one stopped me for money as he was hungry and I said I've just used all my money on shopping.. would you like some food. Well I can't repeat what he said. All he wanted was money for his fix and I'd seen him many a time coming from London on the train to the suburbs to get his daily fix money. Makes me sick.

429nufc

Poverty ?
I assume there will be scammers out there but I can't think many others are there out of choice. If they are aggressive beggars the Police or Local Authority should sort them out.

One of our local beggars, reputably a former York City footballer , died recently of neglect and hypothermia. He was an OK bloke. There must have been a cause for someone like him to be on trhe streets. He would take a sandwich and a coffee if offerd.

Poverty ?
There's a guy in our town centre, his possessions are all in a supermarket trolley, I've never seen him beg. The wife & I have "donated" but never with actual money. He used to be parked up outside Tesco Express (plumb spot) but the last few weeks hes moved about ten feet away. I was told he has been offered accommodation several times by the local authority & privately, all of which he has refused.
He doesn't do too bad from what I can see, God knows where he gets the dogs from but he always has a little pooch with him, all of different breeds.

I don't think though that he is your classic homeless persons, I mean lets be honest there are some very desperate people about......There by the Grace of........

Kanga

Poverty ?
THINGS THERE’S NO MONEY FOR:
Housing the homeless.

I disagree.
There are 48 charities in the UK who claim to work for the homeless. There's one in Wales which has £2m in the bank and pays its CEO £100k a year.
Like a lot of charities they have become self perpetuating gravy trains and have the nerve at the same time to lecture the government about parsimony.

Poverty ?
THINGS THERE’S NO MONEY FOR:
Housing the homeless.

I disagree.
There are 48 charities in the UK who claim to work for the homeless. There's one in Wales which has £2m in the bank and pays its CEO £100k a year.
Like a lot of charities they have become self perpetuating gravy trains and have the nerve at the same time to lecture the government about parsimony.

The meaning of the word "charity" seemed to have a different meaning altogether when I was a kid. I didn't think people involved were on mega money, they probably were but transparency those days was nil.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom