poverty in Turkey
These are the july /august/September figures for bread line and poverty line in Turkey as issued every month by Turkish Trade Unions.www.Türk-İş.org

The figures are based on what a family of four need ..these are interesting as the minimum wage is 720 lira gross 577 lira net
the poverty line is arguably inflated as many people in a reasonable job dont earn that much...still a decent standard of living is what we all want to achieve and with the cost of living now rising in Turkey the figures are not excessive..i know many people struggle here especially when they have young children.
Around 20% of the population in Turkey live on or under the bread line.

Açlık Sınırı (starvation line line) 821,66lira(July) 815,99lira(Aug) 846,63lira(sept)

Yoksulluk Sınırı (poverty line) 2.676,42(july) 2.657,95(aug) 2. 757,75(sept)

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
poverty in Turkey
I honestly don't know how people on the minimum wage or less than 1000 lira survive with a family? I know how much I spend a month (without the little luxuries) and maybe this is why a lot of people I know seem to be in a lot of debt with the bank.

poverty in Turkey
me too Lyndsey..we dont live in luxury and still it takes a fair bit to live in reasonably comfort.
We never seem to have much info on the forum about child hunger yet it exists
there is more interest in the street animals than the street children.

millilove76

millilove76
poverty in Turkey
Sadly a lot of poverty does exist in Turkey, its just not so apparent in the areas that most ex pats live.
I've often thought how many families survive with the incomes that they have, but they do...they have to!
One family i know, a single mother grows all her own veg, keeps small livestock and trades for what she doesn't have. Shes lucky because she doesnt have rent to pay, even though home is nothing more than what a stable would be in the UK. Many survive this way.

I think we hear more on the forum about the street animals because people find it easier to help them, not because they care more about them. Its easier to directly help a starving dog at your gate than it is a hungry child in a village somewhere. Even when many come across poverty they find it difficult to help, not many expats have the language skills to communicate. Some that do are wary of how to approach the subject of poverty, not wanting to offend.

I'm often amazed at the divide here between rich and poor, its like there is a very small middle class.

animalmad34

poverty in Turkey
If you think street animals get more help than children do something about it shirley and help them..I also think children should not live this way and have helped poor familys in the past..My passion however is animals..But i would never see a child go hungry if i could do something about it..

Lindacm

poverty in Turkey
!

I think we hear more on the forum about the street animals because people find it easier to help them, not because they care more about them. Its easier to directly help a starving dog at your gate than it is a hungry child in a village somewhere. Even when many come across poverty they find it difficult to help, not many expats have the language skills to communicate. Some that do are wary of how to approach the subject of poverty, not wanting to offend.QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with you. We would love to help as much as we can, but all the things you mention above come in to play. We do what we can locally, but for the reasons you state, it is very difficult.

Linda

millilove76

millilove76
poverty in Turkey
If you think street animals get more help than children do something about it shirley and help them...

I'm think that this comment is very unfair, i do a lot for street children, poor families in general and i don't publish it. In fact a project i am working on at the moment is to distribute parcels to expectant mothers,similar to the bounty packs in the UK. I hope she wont mind me telling you this but Shirley has offered to do all the translation for the literature and be actively involved in the project, something that takes a lot of time. Others members on the forum have also volunteered their time and services, many members do much but don't advertise this.

I don't advertise what i do on the forum for various reasons. I'm not at the stage where i need more help than i have (at the moment). Also i think that its tough times for people and there are enough threads asking for money without me adding to it. That's not a dig at the Turkish Animal Group, as i dont think Shirleys post was either. Its just how i see things. In fact i made a small donation last week...i just wish it was more and i could do more.

Last edited:

animalmad34

poverty in Turkey
Trust me when i say i mean nothing at all by what i said..So dont take offence to what i said please..
I saw dogs everywhere in 2002 and knew i had to do something about it, Thats all im saying..You could start a campaign or something to help them, Fundraiser etc and people in these small villages are very welcoming and i dropped off a cooker , Utensils and cooking pots etc will some money in the past and i never felt that they were offended by this and infact i still see them and were friends now..
Yes they struggle to understand me but a smile says everything and when they see me its smiles all round and i love that..If you need any help with anything give me a shout id be pleased to help xx

poverty in Turkey
it shouldn't be about us(animals) and them (kids)... so there is no need to be defensive.

however it is true that threads about animals get a hell of a lot more attention than poor children who some of us have seen scavenging in bins.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Top Poster Of Month
poverty in Turkey
Shirley

my take on it is that most people who visit tourist resorts dont see the real Turkey, I dont claim to either, but they do see the cats and dogs begging at restaurants and are often happy to hand over tit bits.
on the other hand people like karen see what happens when the season ends and the dogs and cats dont get fed and consequently raise funds to not only feed them but neuter etc. all very commendable and should be supported

The vast majority of people will never see the poverty and possibly not even know it exists, and therefore to them is not quite such an emotive subject.

I have never been asked to donate to help poverty in Turkey in 22 years or so, maybe someone should be asking, i consider myself reasonably charitable so would have no objection to giving/helping

maybe we all need educating !

martin

nanamo

poverty in Turkey
When I see help is wanted I usually donate even if its only a small amount - I have never seen children going through bins but I usually holiday in the touristy areas. I do what I can to help everyone but I need to know what is wanted, I had no idea poverty was so bad in Turkey. We have recently signed up to sponsor a child in Egypt, before that we sponsored a lad in the Sudan. When the Sudan child was too old for the plan we were given a choice of countries and chose the girl in Egypt - we were told there is no sponsor scheme in Turkey. Pebbles project showed what we on the forum can acheive - maybe now its time to help the kiddies too. How can I help? I would like to give something back to the country that gives me so much pleasure.

Last edited:

animalmad34

poverty in Turkey
Shirley, I said dont take offence and then you say im being defensive..I am not and i am just saying i am happy to help if anyone needs my help..Children are also precious and so if ever anyone needs anything gimme a shout..But i will carry on giving around my area to the familys there as i find they need items to help them provide for there family..cookers, pots you know things like this as sometimes they have a little 2 ring hob thing ..Anyway if anyone wants to start something im in to help xx

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
poverty in Turkey
I do what I can. I don't have a dog but have stocked up on the half price pet food (33lira for 15kg sack) today. I bake and cook from scratch daily. There's only the 2 of us so I share it out and the children and adults alike love a little cupcake or slice of whatever I've made. I get a lot of joy from this. We have made good friends who bring us things in return such as lemons from their trees and things they too have made.

poverty in Turkey
Just follow your heart. It is so difficult to know how to raise money legitimately in Turkey and to ensure that it goes to where you want it to go.

I know of a small group of people who were so fed up with this situation that they decided to club together and help a young woman from a poor village to go to university to study nursing. They cut out the middlemen, the legal quagmire involved in doing this through organisations, and just give the money direct. I know this has its own problems, but they know the money goes directly to the young woman.

Ask around, I'm sure you will find similar needs.

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
poverty in Turkey
I agree, I don't think enough info. is readily available regarding the real state of affairs of the locals (human) population particularly child poverty. Whether that's to do with most who live on seaside tourist resorts and not mainland working towns I don't know.

I think the 'Shoe Box' Appeal was an excellent idea that would provide children with a few bits and be appealing at the same time.
I have hardly visited Turkey this year only 1 week, but if I can help someone directly I will. I do this often when I visit India where my family originate from rather than give to charities as my personal view of some of the larger organisations is they waste too many funds in fancy fundraiser Social Events Dinners etc and theres huge delay (and cut!) in funds reaching the person who needs it most!!
Simiarly, in Turkey I 'd like to help the child directly, maybe pay towards tuition fees? books or similar.

Children are the Future they need taking out of Poverty and being able to have the basics.

poverty in Turkey
Hi,

I just don't know how people are managing to feed and clothe their children.

Even the children who are reasonably fed get very little meat if any-even vegetables are becoming more expensive for those families in apartments who aren't able to grow their own.

These kids will eventually suffer from forms of malnutrition if they aren't already-Rickets and TB will become more prevalent. It's hard to believe that such poverty is ocurring in a country that 'allegedly' wants to become an EU member.

There is so much profiteering allowed to happen in Turkey. I never thought that I would see tomatoes cheaper in Lidl in the UK than on Dalaman market.

In the supermarkets goods that we import into the UK from countries that are nearer to Turkey are half the price. I can buy goods manufactured in Turkey cheaper in the UK than I can over there.

The government are allowing this situation to flourish-and probably profiting from it. The rich are getting much, much richer and the poor......?

Ann

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
poverty in Turkey
Rosehillgirl1 ...You are so right about the diets and vegtables . Untill 2007 my stepdaughter aged 8 had never tasted Pea's ,Sprouts ,and other vegtables . Only tubs of burger meat and pasta or some lamb type stew . I was very shocked by this . I went to migros and bought steak ,chicken ,fish and a load of veg . and a huge bag of fruit . She had been having one cold after another and mouth ulcers. So now i stock up with loads of vitamin pills and vit c tablets plus cough and cold mixtures . ....Once she tasted the pea's she loved them . as for the sprouts i told her all the english girls eat them . So then she ate hers too . Sometimes i see really good kids clothes at boot sales and charity shops but were do i give them to . how do i find a chils to support . Only last week i was given 6 2010 diarys . Kids could use these to write in . and i've little soaps etc ..I'd like to help out but how do i do it ..anyone ???..............Diane

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
poverty in Turkey
Does your husband or daughter not know of anyone? It's easy to see if you deviate from the tourist parts. I'm in the 'burbs and it's prevalent.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
poverty in Turkey
Does your husband or daughter not know of anyone? It's easy to see if you deviate from the tourist parts. I'm in the 'burbs and it's prevalent.
No i don't think so they live in Izmir . I was thinking of a child in a village somewere . The town kids seem to fair better .except for diet ,. Ece now has a desktop computor that i bought to help with school work so it will help with her education and a job in the future ....Diane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom