peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Postal strikes look inevitable
Looks like more alienating of vital customers is on the cards! From the CWU website this evening.....

Postal Strike goes ahead if Royal Mail rejects peace plan
15th October 2009

On Tuesday the Communication Workers Union tabled a proposal to resolve the current postal strike. That offer has been published openly and is attached. Royal Mail managing director Mark Higson rejected that offer and as a result, the union has had no choice but to announce a strike.

Dave Ward, CWU deputy general secretary said: "We made a genuine offer to Royal Mail that would have given space for detailed discussions without a strike. We were severely disappointed that within two or three hours the company rejected it, apparently without even affording it proper consideration. This comes on the back of several rejections of CWU offers and is a clear indication that they are not trying to reach agreement."

On the offer, Mr Ward added: "Our offer included the opportunity for a three year deal that would bring stability to customers, business and the workforce. This industry is crying out for stability and yet Royal Mail rejects out of hand a genuine attempt to deliver it. We reiterate that offer today and ask that Royal Mail look again. Making progress on some key elements of that offer would mean an immediate strike could be avoided."

Separate to the detailed offer the CWU also offered the opportunity for both parties to explore third party mediation. Again, that offer still stands.

The CWU also called on the government to intervene in the dispute. The pension deficit, now expected to exceed £10 billion is a drain on the company's resources. The government resolving this problem would decidedly help in finding agreement to the issues surrounding modernisation.

Addressing the obligations of the government, Dave Ward calls on them to intervene, saying: "This government has recently intervened in the problems of Vauxhall and Lloyds Bank. They are the sole shareholder of Royal Mail and it is unbelievable that they continue to stand aside."

Dave Ward finished: "If Royal Mail is not prepared to reconsider our offer and negotiate around that offer then we are strong, resolute and the strike will go ahead."

Talks are continuing today and are the main focus for the CWU in order to reach. This statement replaces any interviews. CWU remains available for talks to reach an agreement and avoid strike action.

Notice has been served for strike action take place next week as follows:

Thursday 22nd October: nationwide mail centre staff and network drivers (around 42,000 postal workers)

Friday 23rd October: nationwide delivery and collection staff (around 78,000 postal workers)

Martyn

It's damaging though, it just will drive your custom to the competitors. I know the competitors said they can't cope but if the custom does goes their way they will adjust.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Of course its damaging. But what is the alternative? :hmm: I think the very fact that staff are prepared to lose pay shows how concerned they are. Everybody must be aware of how tight things are in the present climate, and yet they are still prepared to strike. And there is no mention of money here either, so at least the general public wont suspect greed as a motive.

Martyn

Well I don't know the details of it so I can't comment. I think a while ago it was a move against modernisation.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
If there is a postal strike, it still means that nowadays the bills still arrive, by e mail!!!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
In the days of the internet when you can do most things electronically strike action must be classed as suicidal ?

jimskem

The Daily Telegraph on 1st November 2007 mentioned Adam Crozier had received
a performance related bonus of £469,000. This was, if i remember correctly, the time the twice daily deliveries were abolished.
His salary was reported to be £629,000 per annum.
He was also in receipt of £158,000 in pension and benifits for this period.
Daily Mail, 12th October 2009, tell about Royal Mail bosses sharing £10,000,000
in bonuses.
A spokesperson for the Communication Workers Union said R.Mail directors had received unwarranted bonuses for cost cutting and axing jobs.
Adam Crozier, Chief Executive at Royal Mail, has banked £2.4 Million in bonuses
since 2003.
His salary adds up to £3.6 Million since 2003.
So it's not only the banks that reward failures.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
In the days of the internet when you can do most things electronically strike action must be classed as suicidal ?

I dont agree with that. E-Mail isnt a threat. And as for Martyns point about competitors, take this little test.. Look closely at your post for a few days, and you'll notice that where you once saw a stamp (in the good old days) you'll often see the name of many of these so called competitors. What I'm driving at is that it is actually us that deliver their mail because they simply dont have the resources. You cant build a mail network like royal mail overnight.

The dispute is about modernisation and job losses. nobody is against modernisation, but there are huge warning bells ringing regarding the approach, and the effect on staffing levels and ultimately the customer.

Martyn

Modernisation in any industry ultimately will involve job losses. The union should be working on making sure the people that lose their jobs get ample reward. Ask around you will find a lot will like taking redundacy if the package is right. I've just snatches my bosses hand off to get redundancy.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
As the Lady sang " you don't know what you got til' it's gone ". All those in the Highlands and Islands, the middle of nowhere, at the end of the line or lane. 48p will soon be viewed as amazingly cheap and the PO as reliable. In private postal / parcel movers one item in 300 is irretrieveably lost.

Steve.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Ask around you will find a lot will like taking redundacy if the package is right. I've just snatches my bosses hand off to get redundancy.

And what about those left to pick up the extra workload thats created?
If you take a postie out, the walk still gets the mail.

Martyn

I don't know the ins and outs of the postal system or the modernisation but that is where the negotiation comes.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
dont Know the full story, but it seems the management are prepared to risk the royal mail to prove a point !
ba are doing the same with their staff

got my support pete for what its worth !

martin

teresa

Free Thinker
Ask around you will find a lot will like taking redundancy if the package is right. I've just snatches my bosses hand off to get redundancy.

I agree, perhaps you could arrange for them to offer it Martyn. It has to be offered before you can snatch their hand off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn

Of course I don't know all the facts and maybe i'm looking at things through rose coloured spectacles. Good luck with it all Pete.

Last edited:

mike dj

My brother a long time postman over 25 years service has asked for redundancy for past 2 years, he can not have it because they are 6 short at the office ,but these will not be filled so the other posties have to do these rounds as overtime ,lots of post jobs are part time .Mike

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Sounds about right. If a full timer leaves or is dismissed the vacancy becomes a part time duty:(

Saoirse

Over the years with different industrial disputes within my own area of work we have always received 100% support by fellow workers in the Post Office. They were consistent in their refusal to cross official picket lines etc and thier support was most crucial.

I for one believe any union member worth their salt from any area of work should give full support to the posties in the forth comming action,a dispute the Union is doing everything possible to avoid.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Glad you noticed that the CWU is bending over backwards to avoid the strike. They are virtually begging RM to talk. RM are having none of it though. Kinda makes you wonder does'nt it?

Thanks for your support :)

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
It would seem they want to manage by bullying and not by reason, if they do lose major customers they will blame the unions for not being flexible.
My post arrives at about 3 pm, the postie has now been given a small van but previously carted 2 huge bags around. if you knew the terain of my area you wouldnt want to be carrying one.
maybe just maybe its the management that arent up to the job !

martin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom